PDA

View Full Version : Your fictional sub/ship/aircraft discussion

SS-0 Sub-Zero
05-08-11, 10:39 AM
Ok, how about starting a thread where you can spill all your idea on a new technology such as your own creation of a ship, submarine, or an aircraft. But everything that you're going to write is have to be logic. fictional, but logic.
I have one, it is an Submarine Aircraft carrier. It is based on an Ohio class sub, but the SLBM is replaced by an UAV, each carrying 2 missile, able to fold, so the sub can carry 20+ UAV. The UAV is launched just like a ballistic missile, but in mid air, the outer casing collapse, then the UAVs fly with its own power. To Retrieve the UAVs, the submarine has to surface, and pick it up with a retractable crane. Now, anyone have some idea like that too?:D

Betonov
05-08-11, 11:14 AM
I've been working on an idea (more like breewing it in my mind), of bringing back the clippers (ship, not nail clippers). Rising prices of oil, a small sail powered freighter for coastal areas with lots of islands to supply, like the Adriatic or Greece. And new materials and technology would make it lighter and more efficient

deceptiboat
05-09-11, 05:04 AM
i have one, well, it's an aircraft carrier submarine too, but my version is going to be larger, Nuclear Powered, have a lenght of at least 300 meters, it carries F-35 or F-18, the sail/bridge is placed on its starboard side. The submarine have a ski-jump ramp and an optional catapult for launching aircraft. To accommodate a large number of aircraft, the submarine's hull design is very wide. The tail configuration use the X-tail config. The sub use 2 pump-jet for its propulsion, due to its large size(maybe more). For its self defense, the sub have two CIWS, one before and one after the sail/bridge. It have at least 12 VLS and 6 torpedo tube. yes, it is a bit impossible to build, but it would be cool if it really being built

Castout
05-09-11, 06:11 AM
UTV: Unmanned Tank Vehicle!!! Smaller, lighter, faster and deadlier than ever with no risk to her operator.

Guided (smart) grenade launcher munition.

Guided RPG.

Guided(smart) anti tank infantry carried mortar munition able to track and hit fast moving, changing direction enemy tanks

Guided and sensor homing anti personnel artillery munition able to target human heat signatures to explode its cluster payload for maximum effect

Guided and sensor homing anti tank artillery munition, one shell for one tank, moving or stationary.

Orbital/outer space/ moon based military spaceship station with strategic nuclear bomber specially propelled(fast) spaceship docked. It would make little sense to build but it would be cool :haha:

seaniam81
05-09-11, 06:22 AM
I would make Mech's like in Mechwarrior! or Powered Armour like in Starship Troopers (book not the movie)

deceptiboat
05-09-11, 06:43 AM
I have another one, how about an Unmanned Submersible Aircraft Vehicle, the main idea is to built an UAV but is submersible, so after launching it via my carrier sub(not Subzero one, since this UAV's going to be large) and done it's recon mission, the UAV land slowly on water, then submerge itself. Undersea, the UAV land in the carrier sub's deck so the sub doesn't need to surface itself.

Anthony W.
05-09-11, 07:23 AM
I've been toying with the idea of explosive bolts connecting engines to mounts. It'd significantly increase glide range and make belly/water landings much safer

Betonov
05-09-11, 07:52 AM
and I am laughing all the way to the patent office :D

I had this idea in another thread: a transporter (like the american Tarawa) converted into a civilian freighter, with heavy duty helicopters to transport goods from ship to shore without the need for port infrastructure. Usefull in disaster scenarios.

Growler
05-09-11, 08:13 AM
and I am laughing all the way to the patent office :D

I had this idea in another thread: a transporter (like the american Tarawa) converted into a civilian freighter, with heavy duty helicopters to transport goods from ship to shore without the need for port infrastructure. Usefull in disaster scenarios.

that's essentially what carriers do when the US sends one to disaster areas. Demilitarizing that operation as you propose here could be interesting, though I would worry a bit about the security of the vessel(s) in places like Haiti.

Betonov
05-09-11, 08:27 AM
that's essentially what carriers do when the US sends one to disaster areas. Demilitarizing that operation as you propose here could be interesting, though I would worry a bit about the security of the vessel(s) in places like Haiti.

I was more thinkg in line with commercial transport. Minning equipment for hard to reach mines, suplies for backwater research outposts. Or supplying a field of drilling platforms. One ship could drop anchor and 3 choppers would resuply a number of platforms in a lot faster time than if the ship would sail from one platform or another.
In disaster relief the ship would be used if it would be closer to the area than a carrier and later could augment the effort

SS-0 Sub-Zero
05-09-11, 09:02 AM
anyone know, is someone in the world has created an artificial gills? It would be cool to swim with an artificial gills, although i cannot swim :O:

Jaguar
05-09-11, 09:43 AM
They stole my idea of packing a SLBM with dozens of cruise missiles :shifty: .

deceptiboat
05-09-11, 09:55 AM
hey subzero, you're talking about artificial gills, now i've got another idea. this is for the diesel electric submarine, how about create an artificial gills on a submarine, so the sub can extract oxygen from the water, so the sub can run its diesel engine to recharge the batteries, which means longer submerged time. recharging batteries underwater via snorkel is possible, but using snorkel may give your position, but i don't know if this was possible

Anthony W.
05-09-11, 10:39 AM
hey subzero, you're talking about artificial gills, now i've got another idea. this is for the diesel electric submarine, how about create an artificial gills on a submarine, so the sub can extract oxygen from the water, so the sub can run its diesel engine to recharge the batteries, which means longer submerged time. recharging batteries underwater via snorkel is possible, but using snorkel may give your position, but i don't know if this was possible

How do you think boomers stay under so long?

TLAM Strike
05-09-11, 04:05 PM
Take a CVN and install a dock well like on a LHD with a elevator leading from the dock well to the hanger so the carrier could either carry a load of planes/UAVs or a extra large load of marines and vehicles. Install four phased array radars on the island and four small VLS launchers along the side of the flight deck for ESSM and Standard missiles.

The Air Wing would be:
Traditional Carrier Ops:
10 F-22N Raptors
40 F-35B/C Lightnings
40 F-47B Pegasus UCAVs
4 E/A-18G Growlers
4 EV-22 Osprey AEWs
4 SV-22 Osprey ASWs
8 MH-60R Strikehawks

Anphib:
30 F-35B/C Lightnings
20 MV-22 Ospreys
8 AH-1Z Cobras
4 MH-60R Strikehawks
3,000+ Marines, light armored vehicles, and Landing Craft.

the_tyrant
05-09-11, 09:38 PM
huge capital ships, literally floating cities
thousands of planes, with huge guns, and the ability to launch subs like an aircraft carrier with planes

SS-0 Sub-Zero
05-10-11, 09:10 AM
how about this: a bomber armed with CIWS that can turn 360 degree for its defence. i'm sure no missile can't hit it. Beside that, the CIWS will be able to track a targeted enemy aircraft, so it's both for attacking and for defend :D