PDA

View Full Version : Stadimeter accuracy

Dignan
04-30-11, 04:46 PM
How accurate is the stadimeter? I know it's more accurate the closer you are but I still seem to get an error of about 200 - 300 meters from ranges above 5,000m and about 50 - 100 meter sized errors when I'm closer than 5,000m to the target. I'm assuming this is normal right?

I'm using TDWs NewUI and the manos scopes mod 8x5 version. The only problem is that these slightly incorrect range readings will then throw off your AOB and speed calculations too. Since I switched to "map contacts off" i've had a much higher rate of misses. Is this normal with the stadimeter?

Trevally.
04-30-11, 04:52 PM
How accurate is the stadimeter? I know it's more accurate the closer you are but I still seem to get an error of about 200 - 300 meters from ranges above 5,000m and about 50 - 100 meter sized errors when I'm closer than 5,000m to the target. I'm assuming this is normal right?

I'm using TDWs NewUI and the manos scopes mod 8x5 version. The only problem is that these slightly incorrect range readings will then throw off your AOB and speed calculations too. Since I switched to "map contacts off" i've had a much higher rate of misses. Is this normal with the stadimeter?

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/903/rangei.jpg

It measures angle A so can only be as good as your mastheight and waterline settings.
So at long range it can be hard to get it right.

As you track the target - keep undating you solution.

So yes you must wait untill the ship is closer for inputting you final solution.

stoianm
04-30-11, 04:52 PM

the horizontal crosair of the manos scope is a bit to thick i think... from there you have a small stady error reading... but is realistic in my opinion... whe you will have the exacte readings with stady you will be in the space age... i have a personal scope that tweaked gap... gap reworked the horizontal crosair for me and i have very acurate readings with stady... i think is a bit unrealistic now:DL

Dignan
04-30-11, 05:21 PM
i have a personal scope that tweaked by trevally, ddrgn and gap...
:hmmm: Hmmm. Anyone able to direct me to what file I can edit to get this crosair tweaked? I'm intrigued.

stoianm
04-30-11, 05:25 PM
:hmmm: Hmmm. Any able to direct me to what file I can edit to get this crosair tweaked? I'm intrigued.
i do not have photoshops skills... you must to rework a dds file from the scope mod... but if you not know to use better do not touch:)
the path: data\menu\skins\german\gui\layout
you need to rework Periscope_Mask_1024_SH5.dds and Periscope_Mask_1024_SH5_OBS.dds

Dignan
04-30-11, 05:33 PM
i do not have photoshops skills... you must to rework a dds file from the scope mod... but if you not know to use better do not touch:)
the path: data\menu\skins\german\gui\layout
you need to rework Periscope_Mask_1024_SH5.dds and Periscope_Mask_1024_SH5_OBS.dds

Thanks stoianm. I'll take a look at it but if I think I'm in over my head I'll abort mission. :06:

finchOU
04-30-11, 06:04 PM
Range is important...but for a firing solution target speed and AOB are the most important factors....to test this out (at least SHIII)...you can input Range, AOB, Distance and Torp speed into the targeting computer and see how that effects the torps course. All things being equal and adjusting the distance does little to affect the torps course....errors in distance...especially that small (relatively) does not really matter. Hope this helps..

Dignan
04-30-11, 06:15 PM
Range is important...but for a firing solution target speed and AOB are the most important factors....to test this out (at least SHIII)...you can input Range, AOB, Distance and Torp speed into the targeting computer and see how that effects the torps course. All things being equal and adjusting the distance does little to affect the torps course....errors in distance...especially that small (relatively) does not really matter. Hope this helps..

Thanks. I think you are right. My problem is that I'm not getting a good target course plot because at a long distance my range readings are so inaccurate. That results in a poor speed estimation and poor AOB value. I think I just have to practice more.

makman94
04-30-11, 06:36 PM
... i have a personal scope that tweaked by trevally, ddrgn and gap... gap reworked the horizontal crosair for me and i have very acurate readings with stady... i think is a bit unrealistic now:DL

i ,ensure you,...there is nothing wrong at scope that needs ....'tweaking'.be sure of that !

stoianm
04-30-11, 07:01 PM
i ,ensure you,...there is nothing wrong at scope that needs ....'tweaking'.be sure of that !
I mean to make the lines a bit tines from horizontal... but sory... those dds were not from your mod... your lines for your scope mod are tines enough:DL... i used the masck for another scope lol... for sure that your scope is acurate... just i wanted to have another mask like this and to use your others acurate files from mod:

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l568/stoianm/before-2.jpg

sorry for missunderstunding makman94

makman94
04-30-11, 07:05 PM
all 'cleared' then ,Stoianm! glad we sort this out....continue enjoying your game

Pisces
05-02-11, 08:51 AM
Thanks. I think you are right. My problem is that I'm not getting a good target course plot because at a long distance my range readings are so inaccurate. That results in a poor speed estimation and poor AOB value. I think I just have to practice more.Use more time between the plots. Or take the average path between a multiple of them. Time averages all errors out. ... Until it makes a course change ofcourse. Just 3 minutes is to short to make a reliable plot from.