PDA

View Full Version : Heartless New Yorkers!

Feuer Frei!
04-27-11, 05:38 AM
Can't believe this, this is bad :nope:
Some Clown even had time and the nerve to take a cell phone picture! :down:
Bystanders, you failed, big time.

HEARTLESS New Yorkers did not come to the aid of a gunshot victim who was bleeding to death on a Brooklyn street, disturbing surveillance footage released shows. The video opens with an unsuspecting Trevonne Winn, 24, chatting on his mobile phone outside a chicken shop on Saturday night - just moments before his killer casually steps out from the shadows and guns him down.
Sparks flash from the gun as two bullets hit Mr Winn in the chest. Mortally wounded, he drops to the ground, struggles to move, then collapses as the hit man flees.
A crowd gathers around the dying man, but no one kneels to help or comfort him. He later died at the Kings County Hospital.
"What kind of city is this? No one helped my child. Someone could have helped him and turned him over on his side to help him breathe," said Winn's outraged mum, Tracey, 40, a nurse from South Carolina.

"It's a nightmare I will never recover from. He wasn't in a gang. He didn't know anyone here. I saw that video. When I saw the video, I walked out of the room.

"That will be forever engraved in my memory. I saw my child fall on the floor, and nobody tried to help him."
A disgusted police source who saw the tape agreed.
"Between the time the shooting happened and the police arrived, people were just looking. Someone even took a cell phone picture," the source said.
Read more about passersby ignore dying gunshot victim (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/images_of_chilling_execution_zPjVQDAGt0orymbhwqVt9 I) at the New York Post.

SOURCE (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/heartless-new-yorkers-ignore-dying-gunshot-victim-on-brooklyn-street/story-e6frfku0-1226045834424)

DarkFish
04-27-11, 05:56 AM
Some Clown even had time and the nerve to take a cell phone picture! :down:Of people like those, I hope someone shoots them as well and the bystanders just laugh at it:nope:

"Oh look, it's a dying man! Let's watch him and see what happens if he loses blood for 10 minutes!"

HunterICX
04-27-11, 06:06 AM
Makes you wonder if we are actually civilized :roll:

HunterICX

Castout
04-27-11, 06:58 AM
Quite simply immature or timid people. Many people don't mature as they grow older.

August
04-27-11, 09:20 AM
Nothing new for New Yorkers. Just ask Kitty Genovese.

AVGWarhawk
04-27-11, 09:42 AM
Because...in todays world people are desensitized to violence. Desensitized to helping others. People do not want to get involved. Some are afraid if they touch the guy a ambulance chasing lawyer will be after them if something goes wrong that could have possible been created by touching the victim. Things like this only provide a opportunity to video and put on Utube in most pepples eyes.

Growler
04-27-11, 09:47 AM
Because...in todays world people are desensitized to violence. Desensitized to helping others. People do not want to get involved. Some are afraid if they touch the guy a ambulance chasing lawyer will be after them if something goes wrong that could have possible been created by touching the victim. Things like this only provide a opportunity to video and put on Utube in most pepples eyes.

Add in fear of retribution, and you've got a paralyzed populace. Some of those people undoubtedly saw the killer pop two into the victim and feared the same if they tried to help.

We now live in a society of fear.

Ducimus
04-27-11, 10:01 AM
This is acutally what i expect out of people.

The world IS a cold and hard place. People DO NOT Care, and why should they? They don't know you, your just another ass on the street. They are only worried about themselves, and do not want to get involved.

If you do not, or cannot take care of yourself, NOBODY else will.

Yes, i have That much faith in people and humanity. Articles like this, only reinforce that train of thought.

mookiemookie
04-27-11, 10:45 AM

Good Samaritan laws are there to prevent this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law) I think it's more because people are selfish and don't want to bother. They feel no duty to their fellow man. A common theme in the world today.

This is acutally what i expect out of people.

The world IS a cold and hard place. People DO NOT Care, and why should they? They don't know you, your just another ass on the street. They are only worried about themselves, and do not want to get involved.

If you do not, or cannot take care of yourself, NOBODY else will.

Yes, i have That much faith in people and humanity. Articles like this, only reinforce that train of thought.

Sad but true. I am of the same mind on this.

Schroeder
04-27-11, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure whether it's true but I've heard that in some states you can get punished if the first aid you give actually kills the guy you tried to help. That would make me also very reluctant of helping someone. Here in Germany the law says that you've got to help and you won't be prosecuted if you screwed up your first aid. Our first aid instructor once said "There is nor wrong first aid, the only wrong thing is no aid at all.".

the_tyrant
04-27-11, 11:17 AM
i believe that i read somewhere that the more people there is, the lower the odds of someone trying to help

gimpy117
04-27-11, 12:09 PM
wow, just wow :nope::nope:

AVGWarhawk
04-27-11, 12:15 PM
Good Samaritan laws are there to prevent this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law)

From your wiki article:

The details of good Samaritan laws/acts in various jurisdictions vary, including who is protected from liability and in what circumstances.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law#cite_note-3) Not all jurisdictions provide protection to laypersons, in those cases only protecting trained personnel, such as doctors or nurses.[ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law#cite_note-4)

Most people believe they will get in trouble or cause more harm than good. Some are just afraid of all the bloodborne diseases found in today's world.

GoldenRivet
04-27-11, 12:21 PM
nothing in the video surprised me.

no further comment

Ducimus
04-27-11, 12:23 PM
i believe that i read somewhere that the more people there is, the lower the odds of someone trying to help

This i believe is 100% true, for many reasons.

Gammelpreusse
04-27-11, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure whether it's true but I've heard that in some states you can get punished if the first aid you give actually kills the guy you tried to help. That would make me also very reluctant of helping someone. Here in Germany the law says that you've got to help and you won't be prosecuted if you screwed up your first aid. Our first aid instructor once said "There is nor wrong first aid, the only wrong thing is no aid at all.".

This, yes. Maybe to much of a prejudice here, but I'd be very resluctant to help anybody in the US as well, the risk of being sued for something just appears too high.

Armistead
04-27-11, 01:20 PM
The victim had a long criminal history in SC, highly possible he got involved in something up there even in a short period of time.

mookiemookie
04-27-11, 01:23 PM
I think they should standardize the Good Samaritan laws across the country. In Texas, there's no duty to rescue, but the Good Samaritan Act protects people who are truly trying to provide medical aid.

AVGWarhawk
04-27-11, 01:27 PM
I think they should standardize the Good Samaritan laws across the country. In Texas, there's no duty to rescue, but the Good Samaritan Act protects people who are truly trying to provide medical aid.

But again, not all states are like this. People do not want to get involved or held liable.

Sledgehammer427
04-27-11, 01:50 PM
nothing like an article like this to drag the cynics out of the woodwork.

of which I am one, and Ducimus has already said what I was going to say.

I'm also glad someone brought up Kitty Genovese, we discussed situations like this in my psychology class a couple years ago.

I likened the Kitty Genovese case, and cases like this one, on seeing a car stranded on the side of the road on a busy highway.

You see the hazards on, and you would naturally try to help, but you are on a busy highway, there may be someone else who is better suited to provide assistance than you are, they might be on the phone with AAA, or their friends.
and with that, I think most people decide that there is no need to inconvienence anyone.

Rilder
04-27-11, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure whether it's true but I've heard that in some states you can get punished if the first aid you give actually kills the guy you tried to help.

I heard this from my Middle school health teacher, (years ago) something about if you aren't red-cross certified and you try and help but fail you can get sued. However if you do get red-cross certified for first aid your protected from lawsuits for trying to help.

August
04-27-11, 02:20 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

Tchocky
04-27-11, 02:32 PM
Sorry guys and guyettes, this is the only thing that comes to mind when hearing about Good Samaritans :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVB3DdRgqU

GoldenRivet
04-27-11, 03:24 PM
i'll go ahead and mention the biohazard component.

A person is laying on the street bleeding from a few gun shot wounds... risk getting that on you?

what if it comes into contact with a wound of your own? a scratch or a blister etc.

what if the person has a communicable blood born disease?

just another thing to think about.

in the end, what is the average person able to do really anyhow? call 911 - thats about it.

is this gang related?

will someone else shoot me for attempting to help the guy?

all things to think about

mookiemookie
04-27-11, 04:05 PM
in the end, what is the average person able to do really anyhow? call 911 - thats about it.

That would probably be my course of action as well. But it appears that the people in this story couldn't be bothered to do even that.

gimpy117
04-27-11, 04:26 PM
This i believe is 100% true, for many reasons.

it's actually a psychological fact. Learned about that in Psy 1000. My roommate could go on about it.

Dowly
04-27-11, 08:03 PM
Bystander Effect/Genovese Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect)

Penguin
04-28-11, 06:40 AM
i'll go ahead and mention the biohazard component.

A person is laying on the street bleeding from a few gun shot wounds... risk getting that on you?

what if it comes into contact with a wound of your own? a scratch or a blister etc.

what if the person has a communicable blood born disease?

just another thing to think about.

Well every first aid kit nowadays contains gloves. I am sure that the fast food joint has one, if you're elsewhere you can flag down a car. In this situation it would be also justificated to get the kit out of a nearby parked car if no kit would be available elsewhere.

What can the average person do? 911 is of course the first option.
Dealing with blood is not everybodys thing, but the least someone can do is talk to the victim and confort him. This take no courage, just some minutes of your time, which obviously the people who goggled at the vic had. Shock and trauma can be as dangerous as the actual wound.

flatsixes
04-28-11, 09:42 AM
Viewed from the vantage of my safe suburban surroundings, it seems pretty cut-and-dried. But Flatbush is a tough neighborhood. Gangs. Drugs. Gun play. Retribution. Commonplace brutality. So maybe the Flatbush resident sees things a bit differently.

BANG! BANG! Make your choice bystander, fast! (1) Risk the safety of yourself and your family by hanging around and talking to the cops about what you saw, or (2) Call 911 and run for your life. I wonder how many of those who witnessed the crime had outstanding warrants? Or were packing illegal heat? Or holding illegal contraband?

I'm not excusing anything. I'm just willing to give self-preservation a nod before condemning callousness. And dear God, please give me the courage to act differently in the same situation.

Bilge_Rat
04-28-11, 10:04 AM
since it is the US, you also have to worry about getting sued.

I read a case a few year's back about a doctor who gave emergency care to someone who had collapsed on a sidewalk. Since the Doctor of course knew nothing about the person's medical history, she wound up aggravating an existing condition. The person she tried to help sued her and received a $ 11 million damage award against the Doctor. Since the Doctor's malpractice insurance only covered $1 million, she had to declare bankruptcy, all because she tried to help someone.

kraznyi_oktjabr
04-28-11, 10:32 AM
since it is the US, you also have to worry about getting sued.

I read a case a few year's back about a doctor who gave emergency care to someone who had collapsed on a sidewalk. Since the Doctor of course knew nothing about the person's medical history, she wound up aggravating an existing condition. The person she tried to help sued her and received a $ 11 million damage award against the Doctor. Since the Doctor's malpractice insurance only covered $1 million, she had to declare bankruptcy, all because she tried to help someone.
That woman who sued doctor sounds to be very greedy. How in hell can bystander be expected to know about strangers medical history? That $11 million damage award is just ridiculous! Why such was even given? :stare:

HunterICX
04-28-11, 11:14 AM
The whole suing system in the USA is just nuts, it's just something to protect ones ignorance & stupidity :nope:.

HunterICX

AVGWarhawk
04-28-11, 12:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

I have cited mookie as he posted the same link:

The details of good Samaritan laws/acts in various jurisdictions vary, including who is protected from liability and in what circumstances.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law#cite_note-3) Not all jurisdictions provide protection to laypersons, in those cases only protecting trained personnel, such as doctors or nurses.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law#cite_note-4)