PDA

View Full Version : Am I Screwed?

Anthony W.
04-25-11, 09:26 PM
Well, I have less than 25% fuel remaining, and the nearest port for refit is 1800 miles away. I'm making 11 knots at 1/3rd ahead.

I just don't know if there is a way for me to make it into port

Anyone have fuel suggestions?

Or am I just SOL?

Thanks

eers75
04-25-11, 09:49 PM
The only way I know how to get home in your situation is to submerge and run on your electric engines for as long as you can then surface just to recharge them. Rinse and repeat. It will take much longer this way but if you dont have the fuel or arent near a port to refuel I believe this is the only realistic way of limping home.

Edit out of embarassment to just disregard this complete statement lol

Stealhead
04-25-11, 09:57 PM
What are playing stock or modded? I will assume stock seeing as most mods give a nav mode button to learn of your max range at current speed.If you stay at ahead 1/3rd you should be o.k. to get to Midway if you are in Japan/Northern Pacific if you are based out of Pearl. If your running from Western Australia you should be o.k. as well so long as you go slow.

I'm pretty sure with 25% you should just be able to get back to a port from 1800 nm but it might be rather close.Try to avoid diving you'll want to avoid having to charge your batteries not sure what eers75 is thinking with his advice charging batteries consumes more fuel than staying on the surface even in Stock SH4 though I think that trick will work if you have a short hop to go like a few hours from port if you are trying to realistic that technique would 100% be cheating that would not work in a real life WWII submarine because you'd be consuming easily double the fuel that way vs. surface running so once the batteries where fully drained you'd consume all your fuel trying to recharge them.According to TMOs nav data your max range at given speed goes down drastically while recharging batts which is accurate.

I recall making it from off Okinawa and getting to Midway once with around 30% and that is around 2000 miles or more.This was with TMO though.By the way if your Running RFB or TMO
go to the map room page and one of the buttons will have the nav officer tell you your max range at current speed you'll get your answer for sure then stock its a wild guess but I think you can make it.

Anyway good luck I'd give you a few gallons but currently in the Asiatic Fleet so that is a no go.And it would cost you a lot of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

BillBam
04-25-11, 10:06 PM
Isn't Standard speed the most fuel efficent?

Stealhead
04-25-11, 10:21 PM
Not sure with stock in TMO and RFB your range gets better the slower you go and gets worse while you are charging batts then goes back to normal and ahead standard is the most efficient for regular patrolling from a fuel consumption/time to get to station/area coverage standpoint but if you are dangerously low slower would be better.The speed that each given sub goes at standard is different in each version due to differences in the goals of each mod as is the consumption rate RFB is the the most brutal and accurate TMOs simulates later war fuel ballast modifications that allowed higher speeds and is also accurate if you read the explanation in the PDF and stocks is well its stocks and is the hardest thanks to the guess work.

Because Stock has no nav officer giving this vital data I never took the time to try and figure it out myself so with stock standard might get you the best range I don't recall.In all versions charging batts consumes more fuel than surface running alone aside from the last few mile batteries cheat even with that it wont work at 1800nm and I'd bet that using it that far away he will run out for certain.

Mescator
04-25-11, 10:39 PM
The only way I know how to get home in your situation is to submerge and run on your electric engines for as long as you can then surface just to recharge them. Rinse and repeat. It will take much longer this way but if you dont have the fuel or arent near a port to refuel I believe this is the only realistic way of limping home.

Bad idea.

Recharging batteries runs the engines at ahead flank. It chews a massive amount of fuel.

I'm goin' down
04-25-11, 10:55 PM
with advice like this you are probably screwed.:D

Hylander_1314
04-25-11, 11:09 PM
Save your game,

Exit out of the game,

Go to your Documents folder, from the "Start" button at the bottom left,

Go to your SH4 folder,

Go to the cfg folder,

Double click on GameplaySettings.cfg

Where it says LimitedFuel=true, delete true, and type in false.

That will give you unlimited fuel so you can get back to base.

After you get back to base, from the office view click on the radio (I think it is) to readjust your options to limited fuel.

Armistead
04-25-11, 11:09 PM
The newest version of TMO set standard speed to 15 kts, but 10kts is still the best speed for milage, slower than that you get less. Still, I think he adjusted and gave us much better fuel milage, but 10kts in TMO will about get you around the world now. You can check this as others said, using the range at this speed button. I don't think you have that in stock, but at 10 kts you should easily make 1800 miles. I can get from Midway to the Bungo on 1/4 tank.

Others are correct, using batteries will use up fuel. You have to run engines to charge batteries and engines use fuel, so you would rather use fuel for engines that go much faster.

Make sure your batteries aren't damaged, they will keep charging even when fully charged, if they're, click it so they stop charging.

Thrair
04-25-11, 11:13 PM
In TMO, ahead standard is set to be the most fuel-efficient speed, as a rule of thumb. Generally this is around the 9-12 knot range for most subs.

In Stock, I honestly have no idea what the most efficient cruising speed is.

Best advice I can give it keep your speed on diesel engies at around 11 knots, as it is now, and when/if you fuel on that runs out, run on your batteries at 1 knot.

Batteries will last longer the lower your speed, if you set your speed manually to 1 knot (you get manual speed setting by switching meters, much like the depth gauge and rudder controls), you will get a lot more range out of your batteries before depleting them.

*EDIT* I just read Armistead's reply, and his is probably more accuarate for TMO 2.1, I still run 2.0. So my information is apparently somewhat out of date.

Stealhead
04-25-11, 11:53 PM
True but the running on batteries thing is a bad idea because he still wastes a huge amount of fuel and if he begans this at 1800nm he most certainly boosts the odds that he wont make it in fact he may guarantee that he does not make it.Doing the battery is pretty much cutting your fuel in half it only works when very near a port like one days travel submerged at 1-2kts away from what others who have pulled it off have said.Never mind guess that's what your saying.

The best bet is to go slowly on the surface and not dive at all unless he must and only then for a short period and just keep going until he runs out of fuel or makes it.I bet he makes it with 5% easily if he takes the don't dive advice.Or a Japanese plane from Wake could spot him and sink him if his luck is really bad.

We should start a pool I say he can make it by going slow and avoiding unneeded diving/use of batteries and he'll sail into port without having to use the short range battery trick either.I put one case of Pabst on it.:up:

Sailor Steve
04-26-11, 12:17 AM
In real life, no. In one of the mods it works that way.

Armistead
04-26-11, 12:34 AM
In TMO, ahead standard is set to be the most fuel-efficient speed, as a rule of thumb. Generally this is around the 9-12 knot range for most subs.

In Stock, I honestly have no idea what the most efficient cruising speed is.

Best advice I can give it keep your speed on diesel engies at around 11 knots, as it is now, and when/if you fuel on that runs out, run on your batteries at 1 knot.

Batteries will last longer the lower your speed, if you set your speed manually to 1 knot (you get manual speed setting by switching meters, much like the depth gauge and rudder controls), you will get a lot more range out of your batteries before depleting them.

*EDIT* I just read Armistead's reply, and his is probably more accuarate for TMO 2.1, I still run 2.0. So my information is apparently somewhat out of date.

Duci thought we were getting bored going at the standard speed, 10kts in TMO2, so he adjusted it. I think now the 15kts standard speed gives you the same milage as 10kts did in TMO2.0. Still, 10 kts will double your milage
if you need it.

The downside is damage to your engines will cost you some fuel.

Since stock, 9-10kts has always been the best speed for milage, less or more takes more fuel.

Sometimes I'll take two of the special ability guys that crank out an extra 1.5 knots. If you activate both at the same time you can hit 23kts.

Thrair
04-26-11, 06:24 AM
True but the running on batteries thing is a bad idea because he still wastes a huge amount of fuel and if he begans this at 1800nm he most certainly boosts the odds that he wont make it in fact he may guarantee that he does not make it.Doing the battery is pretty much cutting your fuel in half it only works when very near a port like one days travel submerged at 1-2kts away from what others who have pulled it off have said.Never mind guess that's what your saying.

The best bet is to go slowly on the surface and not dive at all unless he must and only then for a short period and just keep going until he runs out of fuel or makes it.I bet he makes it with 5% easily if he takes the don't dive advice.Or a Japanese plane from Wake could spot him and sink him if his luck is really bad.

We should start a pool I say he can make it by going slow and avoiding unneeded diving/use of batteries and he'll sail into port without having to use the short range battery trick either.I put one case of Pabst on it.:up:

Ah, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that he should run on batteries or top off batteries. That's a waste of fuel in this situation.

What I was saying is try to cruise at best efficiency with the diesel engines, and when THOSE run out of fuel, try to squeeze the most out of whatever battery charge is left.

Anthony W.
04-26-11, 07:59 AM
Submerging is not an option

Should've mentioned I'm running TMO 2.1 and in the USS Iowa.

I was at the Southern tip of Iwo Jima out Pearl

My rough estimates put Darwin, rather than Midway, to be closest - so I'm more than half way there now

I considered starting and stopping the engines to allow for drift but acceleration consumes gas.

I've sank well over 200,000 tons of merchant shipping by raiding 2 large ports, so I really want to get home. If I make it to Darwin, I should be okay for the run back to Pearl, stopping at all ports for refit on the way.

I haven't taken much damage - only some flooding and that has been pumped out

Does the game model weight? I considered firing off my remaining ammunition to cut it down

eers75
04-26-11, 08:15 AM
Ok, now im running tmo 2.1 but I havent done this since tmo 1.9 as ive been away for a while. Unless I had corrupt files or what not that is how I did it in TMO 1.9. Sorry if my advice was bad it wasnt meant to be that way but now im wondering if I had bad files or something because like I said when I had 1.9 I specifically remember getting home that way.

With the fuel efficiency in TMO 2.1 ive never gotten close to low fuel so im not sure.

razark
04-26-11, 08:20 AM
Try to avoid diving you'll want to avoid having to charge your batteries not sure what eers75 is thinking with his advice charging batteries consumes more fuel than staying on the surface even in Stock SH4
I believe it would work because of a game "feature". If you're sitting on the surface, with engines stopped, you aren't burning fuel. Your batteries will still recharge at a slow rate, though. Therefore, you can proceed submerged until you run out, surface, sit and wait, and then dive and proceed again.

None of which matters, as the OP now mentions he's in a battleship.

My advice: It's a learning experience. Learn to watch and manage your fuel.

eers75
04-26-11, 08:41 AM
I believe it would work because of a game "feature". If you're sitting on the surface, with engines stopped, you aren't burning fuel. Your batteries will still recharge at a slow rate, though. Therefore, you can proceed submerged until you run out, surface, sit and wait, and then dive and proceed again.

None of which matters, as the OP now mentions he's in a battleship.

My advice: It's a learning experience. Learn to watch and manage your fuel.

This is how I remember doing it I would surface and just sit there with time compression at all stop till recharged and hope no planes or vessels spotted me.

I'm goin' down
04-26-11, 09:04 AM

Pool? avoiding diving? There is no point in have a pool if you cannot dive into it.:D (IGD's corollary to Murphy's law.)

Stealhead
04-26-11, 09:33 AM
Oh I did not know that you where in a battleship.Anyway I dont think you'll have a problem with TMO2.1 then it is pretty much impossible to run out o fuel honestly unless you take serious tank damage. Too bad there is not a way to accurately simulate the fuel/ballast mods they did to many boats they did give boost to range/allowed the boat to cruise at a higher speed to station but they did not give the massive boost that TMO 2.1 gives you.

I ran around 3250 nms once form off Okinawa to Midaway in TMO 1.9 which had more realistic fuel ranges I had 30% fuel and got to midway with 5% left and I went ahead Standard (about 10-11 kts in a GATO with TMO1.9) half of the way.

Armistead
04-26-11, 09:47 AM
Ah, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that he should run on batteries or top off batteries. That's a waste of fuel in this situation.

What I was saying is try to cruise at best efficiency with the diesel engines, and when THOSE run out of fuel, try to squeeze the most out of whatever battery charge is left.

We call that the Pacific two step... :rock:

Armistead
04-26-11, 09:52 AM
Oh I did not know that you where in a battleship.Anyway I dont think you'll have a problem with TMO2.1 then it is pretty much impossible to run out o fuel honestly unless you take serious tank damage. Too bad there is not a way to accurately simulate the fuel/ballast mods they did to many boats they did give boost to range/allowed the boat to cruise at a higher speed to station but they did not give the massive boost that TMO 2.1 gives you.

I ran around 3250 nms once form off Okinawa to Midaway in TMO 1.9 which had more realistic fuel ranges I had 30% fuel and got to midway with 5% left and I went ahead Standard (about 10-11 kts in a GATO with TMO1.9) half of the way.

With TMO you do get the special guy that turns the ballast tanks into fuel tanks, about 30% more fuel.

I tend to agree, I liked the fuel limitations of TMO2.0, more realistic, but the way I patrol even with TMO 2.0 I could about go flank the entire time as I stay south and hunt south. Most of the action is near bases the first two years of war

Dogfish40
04-26-11, 12:28 PM

Standard Speed is indeed the most efficient when it comes to Fuel vrs Time to destination. However, the slower you run the engines, the less fuel burned, or at least going at 1/3. I'm not sure about dead slow, that maybe worse for fuel consumption.
Good Luck Anthony!
:salute:

Anthony W.
04-26-11, 02:27 PM
If only recoil could push me in the right direction haha

I'd have those 16 inchers blazing up like a flamethrower

Stealhead
04-26-11, 06:00 PM
Basically from a fuel consumption stand point alone Ahead 1/3rd would be the most fuel efficient you'd take a while to move across the map but you'd have tons of fuel to spare but would not be very combat effective.

It is like that Top Gear episode where Jeremy drove the Audi from Scotland to London, he went as slow as he safely could on a highway and turned off every electronic device that he could to conserve more fuel.Pretty sure that barely moving would lower efficiency.

If your goal where to remain combat\normal patrol effective then in this case Ahead Standard is the most effective speed.Being maximally combat effective and being maximally fuel efficient are differing goals.

Ducimus
04-26-11, 09:10 PM
For clarification where TMO is concerned:

- Ahead standard was adjust to be the best speed to fuel consumption telegraph setting. Why? (Aside from technical hashing about 3 engine speed) Because the game defaults to ahead standard whenever you plot a course or order to resume course. I got tired of having to set a new telegraph setting each time i did that. I consider this an ergonomic adjustment to reduce teeth gnashing.

- Ahead standard will not yield 15 knots in all boats. Some of the prewar boats will be moving at a slower rate, but it is still the best speed to fuel consumption ratio for those boats.

- "3 engine speed" or 15 knots (for most boats) was made the new ahead standard speed because thats what various reading would seem to indicate what the boats travelled at. Aside from that, 10 knots is painful, It takes forever, and a fleet boat is not a 2 engined uboat.

- I am WELL aware that travelling at 2/3rds will yield a MUCH larger surface endurance then what is historically correct. I decided to not let a game flaw hamper the good things that would come out of making this adjustment. Or in otherwords, i decided not to hamper enjoyment just because the game left an exploitable bit in its fuel consumption routines. If you want to cruise the worlds oceans at 2/3rds, go for it. The range won't be correct, but that's your decision to make, not mine.