PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding C02

Dogfish40
04-18-11, 12:38 PM
Ahoy Skippers,
Since I've installed 1.5 I've had a few prompts that I've had to get used to. One of them of course is the C02 prompt which starts at appx 25%.
My question is this; How much C02 can the crew take before they start seeing pink armadillos and color trails and stuff...:stare:
I was under the impression that you could expect death at around 75 or 80%. What is the max amount of C02 before you need to surface.
Thanx Sirs!:salute:
D40

Armistead
04-18-11, 12:49 PM
I think you'll get a warning at 90% with some message you need to surface. You have some time after that, then you die.
For sure it needs adjustment.

Dogfish40
04-18-11, 01:20 PM
I think you'll get a warning at 90% with some message you need to surface. You have some time after that, then you die.
For sure it needs adjustment.

Thanks for that,
I guess I don't need to worry about the warnings at 25% and such. I think it's kind of needless to have the thing pop-up at 25%. I've got enough to worry about This thing should wait until 75 or 80% before it starts with the warnings!
Thanks again:salute:

Platapus
04-18-11, 07:53 PM
I have never understood what the CO2 indicator was indicating in SH4. If the first notification is at 25% and it means the atmosphere in the submarine consists of 25% CO2, no one would be able to hear the notification, everyone would be unconscious in about 15 minutes. At 25%, they would be dead or dying.

The general percentage effects on humans is as follows.

1% (10,000ppm) causes drowsiness after a while
2% raises the heart rate and reduces the hearing (weird how the hearing is affected so soon)
5% causes uncontrolled heavy breathing (which only makes the problem worse) and there is significant impairment. The crew would be effectively incapacitated.
8% Vision dims and loss of consciousness in about 15 minutes.

So when the SH4 CO2 indicator indicates 25%, I *think* they are taking some maximum percentage of CO2 (let's say 5%) and that is the scale.

An indicator of 25% means 25% of 5% or 1.25% CO2
50% indicated would mean 2.5%
100% indicated would mean 5% CO2.

That is the only way the SH4 indicator would make sense.

Anyone else figure it differently?

TorpX
04-19-11, 03:03 AM
@Platapus

The figures I've seen are slightly different than yours.
8% causing significant impairment *I think*, but are close enough.

I figured they consider 100% to be the fatal level, and everything else to be relative to that.

I don't have any numbers, but I believe that the air/CO2 allowance in the game is very generous. Even staying down all day in a S-class boat I've never had over 26 or 27% CO2. This seems dubious.

Dogfish40
04-19-11, 09:54 AM
I have never understood what the CO2 indicator was indicating in SH4. If the first notification is at 25% and it means the atmosphere in the submarine consists of 25% CO2, no one would be able to hear the notification, everyone would be unconscious in about 15 minutes. At 25%, they would be dead or dying.

The general percentage effects on humans is as follows.

1% (10,000ppm) causes drowsiness after a while
2% raises the heart rate and reduces the hearing (weird how the hearing is affected so soon)
5% causes uncontrolled heavy breathing (which only makes the problem worse) and there is significant impairment. The crew would be effectively incapacitated.
8% Vision dims and loss of consciousness in about 15 minutes.

So when the SH4 CO2 indicator indicates 25%, I *think* they are taking some maximum percentage of CO2 (let's say 5%) and that is the scale.

An indicator of 25% means 25% of 5% or 1.25% CO2
50% indicated would mean 2.5%
100% indicated would mean 5% CO2.

That is the only way the SH4 indicator would make sense.

Anyone else figure it differently?

@Platapus

The figures I've seen are slightly different than yours.
8% causing significant impairment *I think*, but are close enough.

I figured they consider 100% to be the fatal level, and everything else to be relative to that.

I don't have any numbers, but I believe that the air/CO2 allowance in the game is very generous. Even staying down all day in a S-class boat I've never had over 26 or 27% CO2. This seems dubious.

This is what I thought. I remember reading about the Apollo 13 mission where they had to Jury rig a C02 filter. They were worried about C02 levels much smaller than 25%. So I have to figure that the game is riding on it's own scale somehow, and asking my original question were Armistead said 90% or over and the game says it's time to surface or die.
In real life, yeah, you guys are right on. It's fair to say that 8% C02 levels are extremely dangerous.
So,...for the game, it's 90% on it's own scale. In real life, we all know better. I have to agree with Platapus and say, I think this is one meter that didn't need to be included. If they were looking for more realism there are other bells & whistles they could have included.
Thanks Skippers!! Good Hunting!!
:salute: D40

TorpX
04-20-11, 08:19 AM
I have to agree with Platapus and say, I think this is one meter that didn't need to be included. If they were looking for more realism there are other bells & whistles they could have included.

The way it is modeled in the game, it is pretty much a non-factor.
However, if it were to be modeled realisticly, I think it would be a lot different. Honestly, I can't imagine a S-boat captain keeping his crew down 14 or 16 hours, without the crew being greatly fatigued and begging for mercy, but you can do this in the game easily.