Fish In The Water
04-16-11, 01:13 AM
MAD: Mutually Assured Destruction

gimpy117
04-16-11, 01:59 AM
i am actually hammered...and i think those are bad acronyms

UnderseaLcpl
04-16-11, 04:45 AM
COC -Combat Operations Center. It's actually pronounced as cee-oh-cee, but when you you put a half-dozen or so young enlisted guys who think that sex jokes are the highest form of humor in it, the pronunciation magically becomes phonetic.

CINCUS- Commander-In-Chief-US fleet. Possibly the most unfortunate-sounding acronym ever.

HMMWV- High-Mobility-Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle. Often pronounced as "Hum-vee". Nothing wrong with the acronym itself, other than that many service-members think it means High-Mobility Multi-Wheeled Vehicle. While this is an understandable error given the large number of combat unicycles we field, it is nonetheless incorrect and somewhat annoying. The term "high-mobility" is also somewhat subjective.

Platapus
04-16-11, 07:23 AM
Strategic Air Command: SAC

Time for my favourite SAC initialization. And this was a true story.

In the base phone book, offices were listed alphabetically according to a strict schema of letters. Specific letter combinations meant specific things so if you were savvy you could decode an office strictly from its initialization.

All units assigned to the Head Quarters Strategic Air Command had their initialization beginning with HQSAC

There was this office which was in charge of supply logistics. Supply Logistic offices were identified by the letters SU.

Within this office, there was a group which handled exercises. It was very common to have a separate branch the played the exercise games while the rest of the office handled real life stuff. The exercise branch was identified with the letter X.

So the exercise branch of the supply logistics office assigned to Head Quarters Strategic Air Command had the phone book identifier of...

wait for it.

HQSACSUX :smug:

The phone book schema was changed.

At one time the Defense Intelligence Agency had a college referred to as the Defense Intelligence College (it has since then changed names several times. One of the courses offered was a study in Low Intensity Conflict.

At the gift shop you could get a commemorative coffee cup with these acronyms on it.

Yes, you could get a DIC LIC coffee cup! :yep:

Jimbuna
04-16-11, 07:27 AM
Friendly Fire

UnderseaLcpl
04-16-11, 07:38 AM
@ Platapus

I don't think I have any military acronyms that can beat those.

Friendly Fire
I wasn't aware that was an acronym, but if you could make one up I'd be thoroughly impressed.

Platapus
04-16-11, 08:20 AM
Here is a funny one

OIC

Officer in Charge. :har:

That coming from an old crusty and rusty NCO viewpoint. :D

Gerald
04-16-11, 08:26 AM
Is short for "fighter" Which means' combat management "in Swedish.

UnderseaLcpl
04-16-11, 11:09 AM
Here is a funny one

OIC

Officer in Charge. :har:

That coming from an old crusty and rusty NCO viewpoint. :D

Nice:salute:

Here's one from a newer NCO and slightly lest rusty NCO viewpoint:

NCOIC- No Chicken-sucking Officer In Charge

Platapus
04-16-11, 12:37 PM
Careful you will get the wrath of Steve coming soon.

Sailor Steve
04-16-11, 12:40 PM
MAD: Mutually Assured Destruction
That's a military acronym? Last I heard MAD stood for Magnetic Anomaly Detector.

Sailor Steve
04-16-11, 12:41 PM
No wrath. No anger. Just comments on common decency and family forums. Though with James I'm more likely to give him a phone call which will end up lasting a couple of hours as we discuss anything and everything under the sun.

Fish In The Water
04-16-11, 04:07 PM
That's a military acronym? Last I heard MAD stood for Magnetic Anomaly Detector.

Cold war vintage...

UnderseaLcpl
04-16-11, 09:19 PM
I fixed it. Sorry so late.

That doesn't sound so bad. It's gotta be better than when I last invoked the Wrath of Khan. The technical inaccuracies in that movie give me nightmares, and having grown accustomed to modern special effects, it is kind of painful to watch. Nothing against Star-Trek, but I think a superior re-make is in order.

No wrath. No anger. Just comments on common decency and family forums. Though with James I'm more likely to give him a phone call which will end up lasting a couple of hours as we discuss anything and everything under the sun.

No need to spare me if that was over the line. I'll accept my brigging with no hard feelings whatsoever. This is a good site, and if I soured its reputation with my comments, I deserve to be an example of what happens to people like that.

I'd also welcome the phone call. I'd like to know how you're doing, and I've been reading several interesting books concerning US involvement in the World Wars, and the amount of premeditation that went into that involvement.

Judging by the train lineups in my subdivision, I should be free tonight and Sunday. If you got the money, honey, I got the time. For the call, that is.

TLAM Strike
04-16-11, 09:42 PM
That doesn't sound so bad. It's gotta be better than when I last invoked the Wrath of Khan. The technical inaccuracies in that movie give me nightmares, and having grown accustomed to modern special effects, it is kind of painful to watch. Nothing against Star-Trek, but I think a superior re-make is in order.

:stare::stare::stare::stare:

No you should start to fear my wrath...

UnderseaLcpl
04-16-11, 09:57 PM
:stare::stare::stare::stare:

No you should start to fear my wrath...

Why?

TLAM Strike
04-16-11, 11:02 PM
Why?

Because Wrath of Khan is the greatest Star Trek film ever made, and to say it needs a remake is sacrilege. :03:

I'm also writing my English "Critical Analysis" paper on TWOK.

Sledgehammer427
04-16-11, 11:17 PM
FISH and CHIPS
Fighting In Someone's House
and
Causing Havoc In Peoples Streets

:D:know:

Platapus
04-17-11, 07:15 AM
FISH and CHIPS
Fighting In Someone's House
and
Causing Havoc In Peoples Streets

:D:know:

I had never heard that one. :yeah:

Ducimus
04-17-11, 11:30 AM
Lifer.
Lazy Inefficient F_ _ _er Expecting Retirement.

Beef.
Base Engineer Emergency Force.

Ribs.
Readiness In Base Services

Platapus
04-17-11, 05:39 PM
Lifer.
Lazy Inefficient F_ _ _er Expecting Retirement.

Another term is ROADY

Retired On Active DutY

Aramike
04-18-11, 02:40 AM
I think it was Richard Marcinko that wrote in his book "Rogue Warrior" an entertaining acronym:

B FUC - Big Female Ugly Commander.

Sailor Steve
04-18-11, 01:35 PM
Cold war vintage...
So am I. Your point? :O:

kraznyi_oktjabr
04-18-11, 01:47 PM
:haha:

Fish In The Water
04-18-11, 02:45 PM

http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/12/StrategyandWar/631games_mad.jpg

http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/img/pubs/pub585.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CY4KNWV8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2010/11/4/saupload_madtypessm.jpg

Platapus
04-18-11, 07:21 PM
For you B-52 fans - BUFF

And I ain't talking about no music group :D

Bubblehead Nuke
04-18-11, 08:02 PM
I kid you not...

This one was actually used in Pensacola, FL back in the late 80's.....

Cilivians Under Naval Training

That had shirts that stated this in a vertical arrangement across the back in script letters. I can't remember the exact circumstances for the training, but it was official and they had civillians going to various schools alongside their military counterparts.

This went on for six MONTHS before someone figured it out. I HAVE one of these shirt. I will have to dig it out of storage and take a pic for you guys.

Talk about egg on the face...

..........I laughed myself silly.

TLAM Strike
04-18-11, 08:09 PM
This one was actually used in Pensacola, FL back in the late 80's.....

...I can't remember the exact circumstances for the training, but it was official and they had civillians going to various schools alongside their military counterparts.

:shifty:

I know they train CTs down at Pensacola, guessing they might have been spooks of some kind. :hmmm:

Ducimus
04-18-11, 08:59 PM
For you B-52 fans - BUFF

And I ain't talking about no music group :D

Big Ugly Fat F _ _ _er.

Here's one that EVERYBODY should know.......

FIGMO.

Platapus
04-19-11, 04:55 PM
FIGMO.

Figmo, always a happy day! Well it depends on the "O" I guess. :yep:

Ducimus
04-19-11, 05:54 PM
Ok... i was avoiding this one, but I have to admit, as much as I love my "alma mater", it is one of the most heinous acronyms in the military, at least as far as the USAF goes.

Rapid
Engineer
Deployable

Heavy
Operational
Repair
Squadron
Engineers

Few acronyms can match that puppy. I always wondered. Did they pick the words to match the Acronym, or the Acronym to match the words?

Platapus
04-19-11, 05:55 PM
EOD - Every One Drinks. :yeah:

Ducimus
04-19-11, 05:57 PM
EOD - Every One Drinks. :yeah:

I would too if i had to get up close and personal with UXO's. :salute:

Madox58
04-19-11, 06:09 PM
My brother retired from the Air Force after 20 years.
I've heard him complain about RED HORSE many times.

Ducimus
04-19-11, 06:11 PM
My brother retired from the Air Force after 20 years.
I've heard him complain about RED HORSE many times.

Yeah? What he say about us? If he was base CE, im guessing the usual line of "having to fix the crap they screwed up because they were going too fast". Heard that one many times, and i think its exaggerated. :O:

Molon Labe
04-19-11, 06:28 PM
I sometimes hear the GWOT called "The War Against Terror" instead.

And this might be a Marcinkoism too, but
IMPOTUS - Improbable President of the United States

Penguin
04-21-11, 10:27 AM
I always liked the term Fobbit.

Ducimus
04-21-11, 01:44 PM
I always liked the term REMF. Been around alot longer then Pogue or Fobbit. Though all of em mean about the same thing. :haha:

frau kaleun
04-21-11, 01:46 PM
One of my training buddies is a former Marine, he says he always liked

University of
Science
Music &
Culture

as in, when people asked where he went to college...