PDA

View Full Version : Lawmaker Calls Bishop ‘Pedophile Pimp’

Gerald
04-02-11, 10:26 AM
A top Republican in New Hampshire on Friday called Bishop John B. McCormack of Manchester a “pedophile pimp” on his Facebook page.

The Republican, State Representative D. J. Bettencourt, the House majority leader, was responding to criticism from Bishop McCormack that state budget cuts would hurt the most vulnerable members of society.

“Would the bishop like to discuss his history of protecting the ‘vulnerable?’ ” Mr. Bettencourt, a practicing Roman Catholic, wrote. “This man is a pedophile pimp who should have been led away from the State House in handcuffs with a raincoat over his head in disgrace. He has absolutely no moral credibility to lecture anyone.”

Mr. Bettencourt said in a statement that his criticism stemmed from Bishop McCormack’s time as an administrator for Cardinal Bernard F. Law in Boston, where he was a top aide assigned to investigate complaints that priests had sexually abused minors. He was named bishop of Manchester in 1998.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/us/02bishop.html?ref=politics

Note: April 1, 2011

DarkFish
04-02-11, 10:35 AM
Shouldn't a politician know better than that? If you can't take any criticism without starting to call names then why the hell didn't you find another job?

Gerald
04-02-11, 10:42 AM
Yes absolutely, if they are elected they have to be respectful submission, and act with style and class

Skybird
04-02-11, 11:07 AM
The names involved do not tell me anything, so from a general point of view:

The decisive issue here is whether or not the Bishop indeed helped to hide acts of pedophile abuse in the church, or talked it down, or commited such crimes himself - or not.

If he has a record in being linked to pedophilia in the church hierarchy, then it is absolutely okay to call out that fact, and it is no name-calling at all, and since he then is guilty of criminal and morall chharges, he indeed has no moral authority whatever to lecture others about moral issues and special responsibilities. If he has no such record, only then it is name-calling, or better: an offense for which he can sue the attacker (due to character assassination).

In the past year(s), internationally and in Germany as well there have been so many revelations about rape of minors in the church, so many, many cases being counted, now ranging in the hundreds and thiousands, that one is tempted to see them no longer as an exception from the rule, but as an integral part of the system. Which indicates that the system is rotten, and dysfunctional. In Germany last year we also had the scandal about an exemplary alternative education institute, where over decades pedophile abuse and rape was committed systematically.

Platapus
04-02-11, 11:26 AM
I guess it all depends on whether this bishop was or was not a pedophile pimp.

That piece of information is lacking from the story.

Gerald
04-02-11, 11:42 AM
Until proven otherwise it will probably not come to light as light winds detail

UnderseaLcpl
04-02-11, 11:43 AM
I find a slight measure of vicarious enjoyment in the name-calling. Bloody Catholics. Refuse me communion, will you? All because I won't swear allegiance to the Pope? Why should I? Nutters haven't even launched a decent crusade in 700 years.:nope:

tater
04-02-11, 02:13 PM
I actually agree with him. Sorry, but the church utterly failed to do anything except protect its own during the whole pedo debacle. Anyone who knew of allegations within the church who took ANY internal actions without reporting the perp to the police for his criminal actions is culpable, IMHO.

If my wife saw a kid with a urologic injury she thought might be from abuse, she is required by law to report it. Guys liek that priest KNEW there were credible allegations. Every single allegation without a call from anyone who knew to the cops is a crime, IMO.

Priests sent pedos to a vacation camp here in NM instead, then reassigned them to new areas so they could continue their "work" of abusing kids. A gay friend of ours in college used to go up to the Jemez mtns where that "monastery" is and pick up priests from time to time, he said. (the Brothers of the Paraclete (sp?)) is walking distance from a small town which has hot springs as it's claim to fame. Many little spa-guesthouse places with private hot-spring baths just a few hundred yards from where the pedos were sent to "reflect."

I have zero tolerance for that. Gotta like the guy for calling it like he sees it (and since he's a Catholic himself, no one can claim any kind of bias).

Freiwillige
04-02-11, 02:32 PM
I find a slight measure of vicarious enjoyment in the name-calling. Bloody Catholics. Refuse me communion, will you? All because I won't swear allegiance to the Pope? Why should I? Nutters haven't even launched a decent crusade in 700 years.:nope:

:up: