PDA

View Full Version : An Arizona Senate Race Waits to See if Giffords Emerges to Run

Gerald
03-31-11, 02:55 AM
TUCSON — Representative Gabrielle Giffords is still in the hospital, but some of her most ardent backers are so enamored of the idea of her running for the Senate that they describe the inevitable campaign commercials: the deep-voiced narrator recounting what happened to her, the images of her wounded, then recovering and speaking into the camera alongside her astronaut husband to call on Arizonans to unite.

These supporters say they do not want to get too far ahead of themselves, and make clear that Ms. Giffords, who was shot in the head, is still relearning basic tasks and might emerge from the hospital with neither the same political abilities nor aspirations that she had before. And publicly, her closest aides say the only thing they care about is her health.

“Our focus is on her recovery and what comes after that comes after that,” said Pia Carusone, Ms. Giffords’s chief of staff.

Despite such protestations, several of Ms. Giffords’s longtime aides are whispering behind the scenes that she just might recover in time to run for the seat that Senator Jon Kyl, a Republican, is vacating next year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/31/us/politics/31giffords.html?_r=1&ref=politics

Note: March 30, 2011

Gerald
03-31-11, 08:57 AM
Yes, she deserves respect and I look forward with joy over her recovery,and possible political challenges

Platapus
03-31-11, 07:00 PM
This is not fair. :wah::wah:

The shooting of Giffords is such a horrible and serious thing that I am being deprived of being able to post my "congress member" "hole in the head" "brain damage" jokes. :timeout::timeout:

Seriously, I think it will be a long time before she recovers enough to be able to run for office. She is doing great but still has a long way to go.

Gerald
04-01-11, 05:35 AM
This is not fair. :wah::wah:

The shooting of Giffords is such a horrible and serious thing that I am being deprived of being able to post my "congress member" "hole in the head" "brain damage" jokes. :timeout::timeout:

Seriously, I think it will be a long time before she recovers enough to be able to run for office. She is doing great but still has a long way to go. So true,:yep:

tater
04-01-11, 10:10 AM
I wish her nothing but the best, but she's not capable of doing the job right now.

OTOH, paying a Senator to not vote is likely a good thing.

AVGWarhawk
04-01-11, 10:42 AM
I wish her nothing but the best, but she's not capable of doing the job right now.

Me too! However, all of them are not capable of doing the job right now..injury not withstanding.

Gerald
04-01-11, 12:59 PM
But this whole tragic event, could have positive effects on her in the long run

The Third Man
04-01-11, 01:17 PM
I wish her well, but, only Arizona would/could elect a senator whose brain is most likely damaged beyond her ability to make good judgements. What if she changed party's once elected? She wouldn't be the first.

AVGWarhawk
04-01-11, 01:32 PM
brain is most likely damaged beyond her ability to make good judgements

This is only conjecture at this point. The more we know about the brain the more mystery it holds. The brains ability to make good judgements or ability for motor nerve or speech? Cognitive reasoning affected? Time will tell.

gimpy117
04-01-11, 04:16 PM
it's too soon. this woman had ENORMOUS brain trauma shes barely in good enough to do simple stuff. hopefully in the future she can...but as of now i thin she just needs to focus on getting better

Gerald
04-02-11, 07:16 AM
Miracles have happened before so, but there will be a hard journey to the top

TorpX
04-02-11, 01:50 PM
Why do we assume she even wants to return to congress?

If I had come withing an inch of my life, and faced great difficulties ahead in rehabilitation, congress is the last place I would want to be.

Gerald
04-02-11, 03:36 PM
It is only speculation from "our" side, I think she will try and many will help her

Platapus
04-02-11, 05:13 PM
Why do we assume she even wants to return to congress?

If I had come withing an inch of my life, and faced great difficulties ahead in rehabilitation, congress is the last place I would want to be.

Good point, especially if some jerk shot me because I was in congress.