PDA

View Full Version : Muslim model defends Miss Universe contest bid

Gerald
03-29-11, 05:51 AM
A model bidding to become the first Muslim to represent the UK in the world final of Miss Universe has been defending her decision to enter.

Shanna Bukhari, who is 24 and lives in Manchester, said she's been sent racist and abusive messages since making it to the beauty contest's UK final.

She believes Muslims in the UK should be allowed to have a western lifestyle.

But Muslim groups have accused her of disrespecting Islam.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12860407

Note: Tuesday, 29 March 2011 01:15 UK

the_tyrant
03-29-11, 05:59 AM
lol, you should have posted tons of her pics
I mean, once we see the word "model" our brains ignore the word "muslim"

Gerald
03-29-11, 06:10 AM
Hmmm .... true but there is something called google as their own initiatives must be

NeonSamurai
03-29-11, 08:15 AM
I say good for her, at least she is not trying to be miss world burka and protesting cause they wouldn't let her. As for the Muslim groups who don't like it... try growing up rather then acting like a bunch of spoiled little children throwing a tantrum every time someone does something you do not like or agree with.

I fully support women who wish to retain their cultures and beliefs while trying to live in the modern world with all the rights that entails.

Gerald
03-29-11, 08:33 AM
So true, :yep:

Herr-Berbunch
03-29-11, 08:38 AM
Hmmm .... true but there is something called google as their own initiatives must be

Just tried that, and the response is a page full the same few pictures. And there was me hoping to find something even Dowly would like :D

Gerald
03-29-11, 08:44 AM
Just tried that, and the response is a page full the same few pictures. And there was me hoping to find something even Dowly would like :D I'll see what I can assist with, :O:

Growler
03-29-11, 12:05 PM
I say good for her, at least she is not trying to be miss world burka and protesting cause they wouldn't let her. As for the Muslim groups who don't like it... try growing up rather then acting like a bunch of spoiled little children throwing a tantrum every time someone does something you do not like or agree with.

I fully support women who wish to retain their cultures and beliefs while trying to live in the modern world with all the rights that entails.

This. OMFG, this.

I mean, I'm not ever gonna be first in line to trot out the, "Oh, those poor women" lines, but damn, those poor women just can't bloody well win, can they?

Weiss Pinguin
03-29-11, 01:31 PM
Except in this case, those two basically come in direct conflict :hmmm:

Tribesman
03-29-11, 03:49 PM
Damn muslims, now they want to lay claim to the title of the Universe.
I for one will stand firm against these immigrants and deny them any attempt to claim the crown, or tiarra as the case may be

Ducimus
03-29-11, 03:52 PM
But Muslim groups have accused her of disrespecting Islam.

Expect her name in the press again, as another sad and tragic victim of an honor killing. :nope:

Tribesman
03-29-11, 04:00 PM
Expect her name in the press again, as another sad and tragic victim of an honor killing.
Are you sure you ain't mixing her up with that teenage whore who is upsetting Berlesconis mafia?

the_tyrant
03-29-11, 04:06 PM
Expect her name in the press again, as another sad and tragic victim of an honor killing. :nope:

I believe its not going to be that bad, I mean, i don't expect british muslim people honoring their religion so much that they are willing to go to jail for it

Skybird
03-29-11, 04:09 PM
The new German interior minister said before the latest round of the national Islam conference (yes, for Islam we need to have a special conference) that 1. Islam were no historical contributor to and historical part of Germany, and 2. that Islamic communities need to agree on holding talks about how extremists amongst them could be identified easier and these communities could better cooperate with the law enforcement. Natural, reasiomable demands for integration that are, nothing sensational, one would assume. But not so with Islam! As a reaction the left came over him like wolves over the sheep and demanded that instead one should talk about how the German could integrate Islam without this concernsa bein g taken care of, anmd Muslim communities complained abpout discrmination and an interior minister not integrating them. He also got mail with pistol bullets in the envelope.

Anti-social primitives - they surely waste not a single opportunityx that that is what they are. And many German buy it - so whom of the two groups should I dispise more?

Tribesman
03-29-11, 04:24 PM
so whom of the two groups should I dispise more?
For someone so full of hate and bile does it make any difference if you despise one more than another?

But on a lighter note, doesn't Lebanons entry look like she would be more attractive if you put a veil on her face....damn it must be a conspiracy , not only another damn muslim but one from the terrorist heartland, seriously they are going to take over the universe competition and make every one go middle eastern with belly dancing and jangly nipple tassles.

Penguin
03-29-11, 06:19 PM
not really my type, looks like many generic middle-eastern women

However what do those wankers from the Ramadhan Foundation want to tell her? They're against it? Cry me a river, muppets! Same with Brits who think that a muslim woman can't represent them...

I believe its not going to be that bad, I mean, i don't expect british muslim people honoring their religion so much that they are willing to go to jail for it

Yes, never happened.:damn: Are you really too lazy to type honour killings + Britain into a search engine?

But on a lighter note, doesn't Lebanons entry look like she would be more attractive if you put a veil on her face...

:hmmm: regarding the other contestants http://www.universalqueen.com/2010/07/miss-lebanon-2010-2011-official.html, the Lebanese really made a bad choice, #7 would have been my favourite. For her I would do the belly dance! :D

the_tyrant
03-29-11, 06:30 PM
not really my type, looks like many generic middle-eastern women

However what do those wankers from the Ramadhan Foundation want to tell her? They're against it? Cry me a river, muppets! Same with Brits who think that a muslim woman can't represent them...

Yes, never happened.:damn: Are you really too lazy to type honour killings + Britain into a search engine?

:hmmm: regarding the other contestants http://www.universalqueen.com/2010/07/miss-lebanon-2010-2011-official.html, the Lebanese really made a bad choice, #7 would have been my favourite. For her I would do the belly dance! :D

Quick research tells me that honor killings happen with family members.
Honour killing is the murder of a person accused of "bringing shame" upon their family.
because the family member "shamed" the family

Shanna said most people do support her, including her family in Pakistan
well considering this, its really unlikely that anything will happen to her
because people who are not related to her are not ashamed by her, and probably will not care, much less risk jail time

Penguin
03-29-11, 06:48 PM
Quick research tells me that honor killings happen with family members.

because the family member "shamed" the family

well considering this, its really unlikely that anything will happen to her
because people who are not related to her are not ashamed by her, and probably will not care, much less risk jail time

honoring their religion so much that they are willing to go to jail for it

Your post suggested that no killings out of religious/cultural "reasons" ever happened in Britain - that was my point.

True that most "honour" killings happend in the family, but this doesn't mean that it is exclusive to family members.
Check out how many women who work in shelters, as lawyers, basically fight for the rights of muslim women, are threatened by religious nuts. Ayaan Hirsi Ali from the Netherlands is maybe the best known of them.

CaptainHaplo
03-29-11, 06:50 PM
Hmmm - well she would look good with my.......

Oh sorry - didn't mean to type that out loud. :har:

Seriously - good for her to try to show that its time for the old, archaic ways of fundamental islam to be tossed aside.

May she be blessed with safety - she likely will need it.

Tribesman
03-29-11, 07:03 PM
Ayaan Hirsi Ali from the Netherlands is maybe the best known of them.
Isn't that the woman who turned out to be lying about her past. Perhaps not the best example for you to use.

Penguin
03-29-11, 07:23 PM
Isn't that the woman who turned out to be lying about her past. Perhaps not the best example for you to use.

Reagrdless if everything is 100% true about her past, she is involved in the fight against the oppression of women and still gets threatened.

Well, I think if I drop some names of German women who fight for the rights of muslim women and share a similar fate, it would be harder to read something about them, as that most people on here don't speak krautish. ;)

the_tyrant
03-29-11, 07:45 PM
Your post suggested that no killings out of religious/cultural "reasons" ever happened in Britain - that was my point.

True that most "honour" killings happend in the family, but this doesn't mean that it is exclusive to family members.
Check out how many women who work in shelters, as lawyers, basically fight for the rights of muslim women, are threatened by religious nuts. Ayaan Hirsi Ali from the Netherlands is maybe the best known of them.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, and unclear in my first post
but I just don't think she would (end up)"as another sad and tragic victim of an honor killing."

Risking life in jail killing someone you don't personally know simply because you don't like what there doing?
I just can't imagining that happening

I mean, just look at Marilyn Manson
his album Antichrist Superstar attracted tons of protesters and threatening letters, yet he is still alive

Penguin
03-29-11, 07:55 PM
Risking life in jail killing someone you don't personally know simply because you don't like what there doing?
I just can't imagining that happening

I can: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3974179.stm (Theo van Gogh)

Read any paper or a history book: people kill each other about religion and ideology since aeons - don't know how one can get the idea that humans need a personal relationship to off somebody.

the_tyrant
03-29-11, 09:08 PM
I can: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3974179.stm (Theo van Gogh)

Read any paper or a history book: people kill each other about religion and ideology since aeons - don't know how one can get the idea that humans need a personal relationship to off somebody.

:nope:that was a despicable act
Maybe I have assumed incorrectly
I always though people in modern society have better acceptance to other people expressing their opinions, and won't kill them for simply expressing their opinions

I mean, killing policy makers and politicians i understand, but killing film makers:nope:
especially considering that they are risking a long stay in jail

unfortunatly, I incorrectly though that sort of thing mostly ended after the civil rights movement and the assassination of martin luther king

NeonSamurai
03-30-11, 08:55 AM
Do not forget though that we are dealing with a group of extremists who believe they will be rewarded if they martyr themselves. It is quite possible an attempt on her life will be made, though no it would not be an 'honor killing', that is an entirely different phenomena.

Sadly there are still plenty out there in all kinds of different camps that will quite happily kill someone else because they do not think the same.