PDA

View Full Version : TUC condemns post-rally violence in central London

Gerald
03-27-11, 07:47 AM
Violence which followed a day of anti-spending cuts protests in London has been condemned by union leaders.

Hours after a peaceful march to Hyde Park, there were clashes between police and protesters in Trafalgar Square.

The TUC said the activities of a few hundred people should not detract from the main message of the official protest, which it said was attended by "between 250,000 and 500,000 people".

Police said a total of 201 arrests had been made during the day.

Business Secretary Vince Cable has said the government will not change its economic strategy as a result of the protest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12873191

Note: 27 March 2011 Last updated at 12:33 GMT

STEED
03-27-11, 10:16 AM
What did they expect? Everyone to act in the bounds of the law...D'oh, you will always get this vermin who go on the rampage in the name of the working class smashing windows and splashing paint all over the place. Take that you rich b*****d now you know how it feels...yea, yea, yea. I hardly think the man at the top is going to bat an eye lid at what they did, its the everyday folk who are going to pay for this you bunch of thickhead.

As for rubber band Ed's speech give me a break, who dose this tw*t thinks he is!

Jimbuna
03-27-11, 02:47 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how people can't see the difference between legitimate legal (and peaceful) protest and wantun vandalism and thuggery, nor between a democratically elected government (sort of) and a 30 year old military dictatorship.

Tribesman
03-27-11, 02:56 PM
you will always get this vermin who go on the rampage in the name of the working class smashing windows and splashing paint all over the place. Take that you rich b*****d now you know how it feels...yea, yea, yea.
Come on, you know all them black flag public schoolboys were only going to Fortum and Masons to pick up daddies little hamper, it s just that they needed to get down with their possy OK to rebel like as the government cuts don't make the trust fund go as far as it used to man.
I mean seriously have you seen how expensive hotels are during the G8 conference....its like so way over the top now cashwise to you know like get down with the common people and protest.

nikimcbee
03-27-11, 03:01 PM
@Jim,
Doesn't this make you want to go back and be a constable again?:D

Tribesman
03-27-11, 03:11 PM
Doesn't this make you want to go back and be a constable again?
But would he have been one of the police that was on the march or one of the police that was policing the march?

Gerald
03-27-11, 03:20 PM
Probably a police who defend what the law allows

nikimcbee
03-27-11, 03:37 PM
Well, we had our burger king riots...
http://www.92kqrs.com/article.asp?id=2143914&SPID=6546

Jimbuna
03-27-11, 04:25 PM
@Jim,
Doesn't this make you want to go back and be a constable again?:D

Not at all, I did my service and left as my conditions of service allowed.......but the law of the land must be enforced regardless of opinions and individual judgements....otherwise anarchy prevails :03:

TarJak
03-27-11, 05:00 PM
Jim did his bit back in the poll tax riots:
http://blog.yaymicro.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/poll_tax_riots_london_march_1990.jpg

STEED
03-27-11, 05:10 PM
^^^That was the days when the police could act^^^

Now they are criticise for not acting and when they do there criticise again!

A none win situation.

Tribesman
03-27-11, 06:04 PM
That was the days when the police could act
Yeah, but the death of that newspaper seller on his way home from work put a bit of a downer on the police acting freely when there is a protest on

papa_smurf
03-28-11, 05:57 AM
^^^That was the days when the police could act^^^

Now they are criticise for not acting and when they do there criticise again!

A none win situation.

Exactly, they outnumbered those "protesters" by atleast 9 to 1 and just sat back and let them cause all that damage.

Should of sent in the police officers from the miners strike, (of which my uncle was an officer at that time), to sort them out:yep:.

Gerald
03-28-11, 08:34 AM
My experience with demonstrations (if they are legal) so long as it takes place in a peaceful manner without unnecessary damage, it's OK! But then there is a risk that hostile groups in the friendly demonstration crowd, trace out the unwanted results as a consequence, just like hooligans at a football match

Herr-Berbunch
03-28-11, 09:41 AM
I wonder two things, how many protesters voted in the last election, and much extra burden to the taxpayer has this protest cost?

And I blame the unions for getting people riled up in the first place :nope:

Jimbuna
03-28-11, 04:56 PM
The law of the land is a statutory instrument/act of parliament and as such is to be adhered to.

If you dissagree with said instrument/act then use your vote at election time to try and change said position.

Breaking the existing laws is not an acceptable tool/method to attempt to bring about such change...unless anarchy becomes the acceptable way to affect such change.

Gerald
03-28-11, 08:43 PM
The number of protesters in London on Saturday has been estimated anywhere from 250,000 to 500,000. So is it possible to count?

No one knows exactly how many people joined the march and rally against spending cuts.

As the march finished in Hyde Park, the Trades Union Congress, which organised the event, estimated there was about 250,000.

On the following day, they were saying it was between 400,000 and 500,000. So how do they count?

"It's an inexact science, which is why we're not making any very, very accurate claims," says Nigel Stanley, head of TUC campaigns.

"We have been piecing together information from yesterday and think we're close to half a million people."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12879582

Note: Update Record, 28 March 2011 Last updated at 10:53 GMT