PDA

View Full Version : Describe your work buddies.

kiwi_2005
03-18-11, 04:22 PM
A bunch of old Misfits.

I was told last week that its my time to take a holiday only one at a time can go on holiday, so I got a week off starting next Monday. On Friday last day before the big break I was looking around at my work buddies and came up with this psychological review on each of them. :yep:

Skip the Aussie.
Skip works outside and saws the timber up for us. Skip is a nerd with a capital N. one of those who has his pants up to his chest over sized eye glasses shoulders hunch over dragging his feet around. If anything goes wrong skip gets the blame. Ive taken a liking to skip and back him up whenever hes getting a hard time, hes always last in line to make himself a cuppa at smokos not cause he late cause he avoids others giving him a hard time. But Skip is probably the most honest reliable worker (apart from me of course :O:) in our team of misfits. One week our Yardsman who is our boss our head boss is in another building who we hardly see went on holiday for a week. Skip had to take over - The nerdy shy Skip shined like the sun he took control of the situation like a true commander. He wasn't so dum after all.

The best thing for Skip is his partner she is a freaking babe she is gorgeous skip is in his early 50's and his partner is 20yrs his junior. She can see the real skip behind those nerdy clothes and 1970's glasses. If I started up a business and needed a reliable worker I would hire Skip without a doubt.

Dan the kiwi aged in his 40's
Dan is the man he is the fastest in our team he can get out 100 trellis 1800x1800 ( the largest size) before 2pm we are expected to get 100 out by 5pm Hes big built he can eat like a horse and likes to sing while working. Though Dan has one problem when Dan feels like it and this can usually be every 1hr and a half Dan will go sit on the toilet for a good 15min reading his newspaper. First week I notice Dan taking trips to the toilet to often that I asked if there's something wrong with Dan hes always off to the bog. Oh no that's Dan everyone knows that hes really not taking a dump yet he thinks hes fooling us. Well how come Dan hasn't been sacked? Dans fast and does the heaviest trellis we need him cause no one else is willing to do his job. Once dan took his holiday break so I was told to do his job for the week i was the grunt so I get the dirty jobs back then. When I first lifted the 1800x1800 trellis I fell over, they are very heavy. Timber is always heavy cause they come straight from the mill to us and are waterlogged with sap. Dan picks them up lifts it above his head then walks over to the stack with ease. We need Dan.

Bill the Scotsman.
Bill is an ex sailor who has according to him sailed around the pacific in his yacht most of his life. Hes 69, mad as a hatter, the F and C words come out of this mans mouth non stop. He can tell good yarns during our smoko breaks that leaves us in fits of laughter. Hes loud hes easy to get angry at himself and he has racist overtones he hates everyone except Scots of course, all the rest are just farking C's. :rotfl2:

Wait for it. Bills favourite movie is Das Boot. One Monday during smoko he told us hes just watched the best movie hes ever seen over the weekend - Das Boot those german uboat men were farking good C's. At 69 and very thin built bill is very strong for his age he can keep up with us and works hard, now and then you will hear him shouting off his foul mouth blaming himself for something while cursing the wind.

Pete the Englishman
Aged in his early 50's. Been living in NZ for 9 years and still got his english accent. Pete is a good worker hes the last in the line who frames the work. Don't upset Pete when Pete nuts off he really nuts off. My job is doing the orientals and venicians trellises when Ive done them Pete frames them Petes very happy with my work he told me once that I'm the first worker hes had in his 9yrs here that knows how to nail timber farking straight! I only have 15mm size runners to nail into so it ain't easy at first.

But one day I nailed them not so straight Pete lost his marbles and came over to me and in his english accent nutted off. You see if the timber aint nail straight Pete can't frame them if Pete can't frame them Pete gets behind and that means he can't go home early to have a beer Pete loves beer he knows every brand in NZ beers some beers I didn't even know exist in NZ. :DL Pete also hates politics hates them with a vengeance. Funny enough when Pete was nutting off about the nailing he switches to politics during his rant where next thing you know hes not nutting off about the nailing but going on how politicians are just a bunch of thieving C's. :rotfl2:

I have a soft spot for Pete, during my first day and first smoko I had no seat so had to stand. Pete went home and got me a seat. So Pete can nut off anytime.

Howee the Maori
Aged in his 50's. Howee never speaks he wont say anything unless you ask him a question he might mumble a few words -hes been here the longest 22yrs so that might explain why. He likes betting on the races when he ain't working his head is buried in a race book, they tell me he can make a coffee in 7 seconds that's pretty important sh*t here. Howee is fast at everything he does. No one bothers Howee just let him be. Hes the grandmaster of the Trellises

Terry the yardsman.
Terry was once just a grunt like us good at this job I was told then put in his name for yardsman and everything changed. Terry is a depressed man if the orders dont go out terry gets the blame for it from the head boss. Terry is a walking zombie.

I'm going to enjoy my holiday break, where I know I'll probably miss my misfit work buddies. :arrgh!:

Gerald
03-18-11, 04:29 PM
I hope that your holiday will be good :DL

Takeda Shingen
03-18-11, 05:38 PM
Sounds like you've got quite the collection there. Mine would not be so interesting:

Dr. Tak the bookworm
Dr. Mike the bookworm [big man; department chair]
Dr. Sarah the bookworm
Professor Eric the bookworm [low man; only has his MM, muahahaha]
Grad assistant Heather who gets the coffee

bookworm_020
03-18-11, 06:17 PM
Sounds like you've got quite the collection there. Mine would not be so interesting:

Dr. Tak the bookworm
Dr. Mike the bookworm [big man; department chair]
Dr. Sarah the bookworm
Professor Eric the bookworm [low man; only has his MM, muahahaha]
Grad assistant Heather who gets the coffee

What's wrong with bookworms??????:stare:

There is no description I can give my work mates, as there are limits on how long a post can be! Best way I can put it is that we're all a bunch of mixed nuts!:03: What else do you expect from the railways!:O:

Gerald
03-18-11, 06:20 PM
What's wrong with bookworms??????:stare:

There is no description I can give my work mates, as there are limits on how long a post can be! Best way I can put it is that we're all a bunch of mixed nuts!:03: What else do you expect from the railways!:O: Faster trains and free drinks :O:

Bakkels
03-18-11, 06:37 PM
Faster trains and free drinks :O:

:haha: :up:

TLAM Strike
03-18-11, 10:34 PM
"Money" Mike: The robot. Ask him to do anything and he just says "ok". Best pizza delivery driver in the world, has an encyclopedic knowledge of the streets in town. But you have to watch him all the time to make sure he keeps working, if he finished a task you asked him to do he just sort of goes in to standby mode. Some of his exploits: Burned his house down on accident. Picked a fight with a girl who then broke his arm and beat the crap out of him. But he is now 17 months sober.

"New" Mike or "Other" Mike: Occasionally works for a few months and leaves. Constently texting on the phone or talking about music.

Denis: Part time worker and friend of the boss. Knows how to do everything in the shop (only others are the boss and me.) We talk about stuff all the time, like the military, current events, space travel etc.

Traci: The boss. Loves to get hammered, and gamble away money. Also loves NASCAR. Now realizes just how good of a employee I am after spending so much time with some of the other workers.

Shawna: Traci's cousin. Not the brightest bulb in the bunch. If she can screw it up she will. But has no problem doing the dishes so we like her.

Dawn: The boss's pregnant lesbian life partner. Easy going but tends to burn everything and get in the way.

Gil: The boss's dad. Always fun to have around. Always joking with the crew.

Zakk (yes its spelled like that): The FNG, only worked with him twice, but he seems like a nice kid. Eager to work.

CCIP
03-18-11, 10:48 PM
I work roughly in the same sort of setting as Tak, so, I would say it's similar enough for me. The other thing also is that every one of my co-workers is 15-20 years older than I am :dead:

All nice people though, just... bookworms :O:

GoldenRivet
03-18-11, 11:01 PM
I am fortunate in that my number of co-workers is limited.

really only a couple immediately come to mind.

My Co-pilot "Mr. B" - reliable, trustworthy, knowledgeable and eager. He knows his job, he does it well and is able to read me just as well as i can read him... wouldn't want to fly with anyone else if given a choice. A hard worker... would be over at my house at 8:00 tomorrow morning to help me paint my house if i asked right now... that is unless he wasn't doing it for someone else already - and odds are he would be. (also laughs at my jokes and enjoys cheap beer)

Ramp worker/ aircraft fueler "Cliff" - will do the minimum amount of work to get by and will come up with any excuse or reason to avoid doing something even remotely above and beyond his normal duties. Always had a headache or a stomach ache. if you asked him to get the plane out of the hangar and fuel it up he would do it, but ask him to put drinks in the cooler and clean the windows and suddenly he is too swamped. Guaranteed to be playing solitaire and/or scratching his ass when you arrive for your flight.

bookworm_020
03-19-11, 03:48 AM
Faster trains and free drinks :O:

They'll be faster when the drivers get the free drinks!:woot:

All nice people though, just... bookworms :O:

I could say that about my previous job, as I worked in a library......:oops:

Takeda Shingen
03-19-11, 05:52 AM
Ramp worker/ aircraft fueler "Cliff" - will do the minimum amount of work to get by and will come up with any excuse or reason to avoid doing something even remotely above and beyond his normal duties. Always had a headache or a stomach ache. if you asked him to get the plane out of the hangar and fuel it up he would do it, but ask him to put drinks in the cooler and clean the windows and suddenly he is too swamped. Guaranteed to be playing solitaire and/or scratching his ass when you arrive for your flight.

Sounds a lot like the grad assistant we had before Heather. He was a lazy, lazy man. All he wanted to do was grade papers; never answered the phone, filed the research paperwork or fielded emails. I was happy to see him go.

Jimbuna
03-19-11, 06:19 AM
I doubt my lot need any introduction or explanation :DL
http://images.tvrage.com/shows/3/2672.jpg

UnderseaLcpl
03-19-11, 08:08 AM
Like bookworm, I work with far too many people to give an adequate accounting of each, and the train crew lineups change from time to time so I'm always working with different folks. However, they can be broken down into three broad categories:
1) "Old Heads" - Generally a cantankerous lot, these guys have been working for the railroad since before I was born, often for all the live-long day. They know everything there ever was to know about railroading, and are quick to point out every stupid thing the railroad or their coworkers do. Repeatedly. At great length. Whether you want them to or not. Despite what some might consider an abrasive nature, I find them relatively easy to get along with if you're willing to listen to them.

They can best be visualized as the primary male cast members of "King of the Hill".

2) "New Hires"- Despite the name, most of these guys weren't hired recently. Anyone hired since 1999 is a "new" hire. The name comes from their union contract. The closest analogue I can think of to describe them is the SCV's from StarCraft. They are eager and often have a Texas accent so thick you'd swear it was fake, but unless you actually tell them to do something they just stand around. The latter has more to do with the strict nature of track authority (right-of-way) than it does with their personal character.

3) "Management Trainees"- The railroad equivalent of 2nd Lieutenant. Despised from both above and below for incompetence but still given every task they could theoretically handle, "MTs" are college grads hired on the premise that a college education and some general management training makes for an effective manager. They aren't union employees, so they actually make less than their subordinates, and they have little to no railroad experience, so their judgements are always questioned. Not surprisingly, they have a high turnover rate. The ones that have stuck around are all really good employees, though, if under-appreciated.

Gerald
03-19-11, 08:25 AM
Sounds a lot like the grad assistant we had before Heather. He was a lazy, lazy man. All he wanted to do was grade papers; never answered the phone, filed the research paperwork or fielded emails. I was happy to see him go. Tom! You would have motivated him and encouraged his way to use their right knowledge and skills so that the outcome was beneficial for all involved, and taught him to do part of your job :DL

XabbaRus
03-19-11, 10:10 AM
Is Heater a hot bookworm and are the lesbians fit? (as in British slang for good looking.) Yep, brought it down to the base level.

I could describe my new co-workers but asI have only been in my new job for 4 weeks I'll do my old ones. (Names changed to protect the guilty)

LG - He was the projects manager and my now ex-boss. If anyone could write a three page e-mail to say something that everyone could say in 3 sentences it would be him. Obviously took his management style from what ever business gure bull**** book he had written. Loved biz-speak eg juggling balls, or spinning plates and using big words and phrases to make it look like he knew what he was on about. Tried obviously over hard to bond and motivate. The best one was when the local supermarket would do a special on multipack soft drinks. He'd offer them out without realising that he was doing it in such a way that he was treating us like 5 year olds who couldn't be trusted to take only one drink. So no one took up his offer and also because he always bought diet. Liked to talk the talk but questions over his ability. Sadly he lacked the respect of anyone and i mean anyone in the company.

HSE rep - Very efficient but took her safety stuff way too seriously. Fun to wind up about it, would seriously bite when challenged on why something was done or was pointless to do in a particular way.

electrical engineering guys - Best bunch but I am biased. Bascially couldn't give a rats arse about the project plan, just wanted to get it done and avoided all talk about budgets, just got it ordered.

Projects team leader - did what he had to do to get the job done, been with the company for all his working life since he left school and did alright but wouldn't break his neck really. Competent but promotion really a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Anyway I got made a better offer and will soon be going off to an oil rig for two weeks.

nikimcbee
03-21-11, 09:50 AM
Dawn: The boss's pregnant lesbian life partner. Easy going but tends to burn everything and get in the way.

Name that subsim member?:har:

nikimcbee
03-21-11, 09:58 AM
I used to work with a hypochondriac:har:. He was very intertaining. He had a habit of getting nose bleeds on sunny days, thus he had to go home.

He was also a "one-upper"; Whatever, you had done, he had also done, but better.:hmmm::-?

example:
Me: I went to London last year.
His response: Oh, I've been to London too, and when I went I met the Queen.:haha::doh:

Herr-Berbunch
03-21-11, 10:17 AM
He was also a "one-upper"; Whatever, you had done, he had also done, but better.:hmmm::-?

example:
Me: I went to London last year.
His response: Oh, I've been to London too, and when I went I met the Queen.:haha::doh:

We used to call them 'Eleven-a-reefs', you'd go on holiday to Tenerife, they'd go one better.

I only work in a very small IT dept, and hardly ever see the other two as the boss works from home (programmer!) and I job-share with the other guy. :D

My boss is repetitive, telling the same stories over every time, but nice with it - he often tells me stuff that I know and then looks at me like I still don't understand :o

The other guy is really good at 'doing' the IT stuff he has to do, he'll do what he's asked but doesn't write anything down or tell anybody anything!

There both big gamers and have uber-PCs, Xbox, PS3... but they both like games that are fantasy-type or completely unrealistic in any way, whereas I like my simulations, or if I'm going to shoot something then it's going to be a person (or pixel representative of) in a war scenario, not just some zombie-aliens that get shot with plasma-rays... :nope:

Did I mention that my boss is repetitive...

Penguin
03-21-11, 12:09 PM
a bunch of maniacs!

Really, I can't think of anybody working in my company who doesn't have a share of mental problems. :88)

I am glad that I often work together with freelancers.

Takeda Shingen
03-21-11, 04:29 PM
Is Heater a hot bookworm and are the lesbians fit? (as in British slang for good looking.)

Bookworm, yes. Hot, no.