PDA

View Full Version : US State Department spokesman PJ Crowley quits after 'stupid' comment

Feuer Frei!
03-13-11, 11:12 PM
US State Department spokesman Philip "PJ" Crowley has resigned after slamming the Pentagon's treatment of an American soldier suspected of leaking diplomatic cables and military documents to WikiLeaks as "counterproductive". "Given the impact of my remarks, for which I take full responsibility, I have submitted my resignation as Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs and Spokesman for the Department of State," Mr Crowley said in a statement released by the State Department.

Mr Crowley said the Defence Department's treatment of Manning, which includes solitary confinement and being forced to sleep naked, "is ridiculous and counterproductive and stupid", BBC reporter Philippa Thomas wrote on her blog.
"Nonetheless Bradley Manning is in the right place," Mr Crowley said, adding "there is sometimes a need for secrets" to advance US diplomatic interests.

Later on Sunday, President Barack Obama insisted the Pentagon's treatment of Manning was appropriate.

SOURCE (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/us-state-department-spokesman-pj-crowley-quits-after-stupid-comment/story-e6frfku0-1226021143540)

mookiemookie
03-14-11, 08:44 AM
He was right.

Platapus
03-14-11, 09:00 AM
My question is: Is Manning being treated any differently from any other prisoner in the same category?

Tribesman
03-14-11, 09:02 AM
He was right.

But it wasn't his job to be right.
That means he was wrong for being right so he had to lose his job.
After all you cannot have officials saying the government looks silly when it is looking silly, they must just say that it only looks silly if you look at it the wrong way which is the right way but not for official purposes as officialy it will always be sensible no matter how silly it is.

Platapus
03-14-11, 09:09 AM
Part of being a diplomat or working at State is knowing when to stop talking. :yep:

He, evidently didn't. :nope:

Feuer Frei!
03-14-11, 09:18 AM
My question is: Is Manning being treated any differently from any other prisoner in the same category?
Well, Amnesty International thinks so.
But, he's not a civilian though he's a soldier, military doctrine and military justice is handled differently than in civilian court.
I wonder also if his sexuality is being brought into this as well. I'd like to think not ofc, but, we all know about what the Military 'hard men' think or say about gay persons in the services.

He was right.
And i agree

After all you cannot have officials saying the government looks silly when it is looking silly, they must just say that it only looks silly if you look at it the wrong way which is the right way but not for official purposes as officialy it will always be sensible no matter how silly it is.
Agree also

Platapus
03-14-11, 09:22 AM
Well, Amnesty International thinks so.
But, he's not a civilian though he's a soldier, military doctrine and military justice is handled differently than in civilian court.

I think you misunderstood my question. I agree that comparing the military to the civilian word does not work. My question, and I apologize if it was poorly written, was: Is Manning being treated any differently than other military prisoners in the same military facility who are in the same military category/classification for pre-trial confinement?

mookiemookie
03-14-11, 09:32 AM

:rotfl2: Government thinking in a nutshell right there. :up:

Feuer Frei!
03-14-11, 09:34 AM
I think you misunderstood my question. I agree that comparing the military to the civilian word does not work. My question, and I apologize if it was poorly written, was: Is Manning being treated any differently than other military prisoners in the same military facility who are in the same military category/classification for pre-trial confinement?
I think i did misunderstand, my apologies.
On the subject of being treated the same as any other military detainee:
He is, as far as i am aware the only detainee being held in Maximum custody and under Prevention of Injury watch. Every other detainee is being held in Medium Detention In and without POI watch restrictions.
There are big differences between max and medium detentions.

DarkFish
03-14-11, 11:12 PM
Mister Crowley - dee dah duh - what went down in your head - duh - duh - duh dee dah duh duh - duh...

:|\\

August
03-15-11, 07:45 AM
Mister Crowley - dee dah duh - what went down in your head - duh - duh - duh dee dah duh duh - duh...

:|\\

Man that is just sad. Ones whole life summed up in an Ozzie Ozborne song! :DL