PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous vows 'cyberwar' on US government

the_tyrant
03-13-11, 08:55 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41972190

DALLAS — A leader of the computer hackers group known as Anonymous is threatening new attacks on major U.S. corporations and government officials as part of at an escalating “cyberwar” against the citadels of American power.

Feuer Frei!
03-13-11, 09:20 AM
More DOS attacks? :zzz:

Or tricking the tabloids?

August
03-13-11, 09:49 AM
All that's going to happen is government and private industry will increase their network security, at a considerable cost to taxpayers and customers.

Takeda Shingen
03-13-11, 10:02 AM
Translation: Anonymous makes a big public statement as a result of being upset that they were not in the news for three weeks.

Torplexed
03-13-11, 10:10 AM
Translation: Anonymous makes a big public statement as a result of being upset that they were not in the news for three weeks.

This.

When you've had to take a back seat to the Libyan Revolution, Charlie Sheen and the Japanese Tsunami, it's obviously time to shoot the moon.

Oberon
03-13-11, 01:55 PM
it's obviously time to shoot the moon.

Don't give them ideas, you just know they'll start working on a Death Star with a smiley face on it.

Torplexed
03-13-11, 03:13 PM
Don't give them ideas, you just know they'll start working on a Death Star with a smiley face on it.

The Empire Smiles Back?

http://pyxis.homestead.com/Smiley-Death-Star.jpg

gimpy117
03-13-11, 05:30 PM
why do they keep thinking anonymous has a leader?

Growler
03-13-11, 08:00 PM
This.

When you've had to take a back seat to the Libyan Revolution, Charlie Sheen and the Japanese Tsunami, it's obviously time to shoot the moon.

No, no, no... not "shoot" the moon. "Steal" the moon.

I said DART gun, not...

Feuer Frei!
03-13-11, 11:27 PM
First warning shots fired by Anonymous:

The loose-knit hacker collective known as "Anonymous" plans to release emails obtained from Bank of America Corp. early today, an Anonymous-related Twitter feed said. "[S]ee you guy's Monday Morning 5am...London Time," a post from the Twitter username OperationLeakS (http://twitter.com/OperationLeakS) said.
"Meet my demands Release Pfc. Bradley Manning and I will remove every #BoA Employee from the Emails," the feed said Saturday, referring to the US Army private accused of leaking sensitive US cables to WikiLeaks.

SOURCE (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/hacker-group-anonymous-says-it-will-release-bank-of-america-emails/story-e6frfku0-1226020941770)

Platapus
03-14-11, 09:30 AM
why do they keep thinking anonymous has a leader?

It makes it easier for many people to conceptualize. People want a single point of blame they can focus their emotions against.

Ducimus
03-14-11, 07:39 PM
A leader of the computer hackers group known as

Word smithing by the author. "A leader" as opposed to "The leader". By not speaking authortively, it leaves wiggle room and allows the shoehorning Barrett Brown, who in reality is probably a nobody, into the article as a credible source.

Barrett Brown, 29, who calls himself a senior strategist and “propagandist” for Anonymous.

Translation: Mr Brown spends alot of time on the internet, has an ego, and is probably the self important type.

He added: “It’s sort of an unconventional, asymmetrical act of warfare that we’ve involved in

Translation: I'm a self important internet geek with way too much time on my hands.

And we didn’t necessarily start it. I mean, this fire has been burning.”

Translation: Attempt at moral high ground while sidestepping legal and ethical issues.

“Our people break laws, just like all people break laws,” he added.

Translation: If someone else runs the red light, it's ok if i run it to, because i'm special, and the rules don't apply to me.

“When we break laws, we do it in the service of civil disobedience. We do so ethically.

Translation: Another lame attempt at moral high ground.

We do it against targets that have asked for it.”

Translation: I live in a cave and have a skewed view of the world.

Feuer Frei!
03-14-11, 08:10 PM
So who's lying here?

The loose-knit hacker collective known as "Anonymous" released emails early Monday that it obtained from a former employee of Bank of America Corp., accusing it of "fraud" and of improperly foreclosing on homes. "we are up ... some of you will get in some will not," posts from the Twitter username OperationLeakS said.
Readers are directed to the website bankofamericasuck.com, which was intermittently unavailable Monday morning. The material was also available for download at a number of mirror sites. The documents appeared to show an extended email exchange in late 2010 between employees of Balboa, an insurance unit owned by the bank, and seemed to discuss the removal of files related to certain insured properties.
A Bank of America spokesman said before the release that the documents were stolen by a disgruntled former staffer at Balboa and were not related to foreclosures.
"We are confident that his extravagant assertions are untrue," the spokesman told Reuters.

SOURCE (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpps/news/hacker-group-anonymous-releases-claimed-bank-of-america-emails-dpgonc-20110314-fc_12308880)

The group's email release also includes correspondence between Anonymous and the former employee, in which the former employee described the bank as a "cult" and said the company is now intent on destroying his career.
"I'm well known throughout Bank of America," the former employee said in one email. "They saw to that when they showed everyone my picture and labeled me as a terrorist."