PDA

View Full Version : Using sonar only - barely hitting it

Siberian
02-28-11, 06:04 PM
I've set up a mission myself just practicing hitting a tanker using sonar only. I manage to hit it, but it's always really close to the bow and sometimes I just miss it. In order to hit it dead center I have to feed the TDC with a lower target speed than what's actually the case. I'm not working the sonar myself - just having it follow the tanker and sending the values to the TDC.

Any thoughts on why I'm not hitting it more midship?

Platapus
02-28-11, 08:05 PM
That is weird, I would have thought using sonar only would cause you to hit near the rear if anything.

Doenitz2008
02-28-11, 08:47 PM
I've noticed the same, as far as hitting bow shots. Not sure why. I am tending more or less to fire the first fish at the zero, then go by wire and try for different points on the ship. I am certainly no expert, and indeed I am wondering why it seems to be a pattern.

magic452
03-01-11, 03:05 AM
Sounds like you might be getting the range wrong?????? It's too long.
The TDC is putting a little too much gyro angle in the solution.

Magic

commandosolo2009
03-01-11, 06:37 AM
your hydrophone bearing is the propeller bearing. try doing a salvo ahead at different angles and see which one suits you the best. a more reliable way is to track the target to bearing 340 or 20 (according to course), then up scope for a final speed check and firing bearing (using the fixed line method), then down scope, fire one, fire two, and wait for the firecrackers...