PDA

View Full Version : One done really well, or many done relatively well?

Ducimus
02-21-11, 01:08 AM
Considering the "sterling" success of Silent Hunter 5, this would seem like an incredibly stupid question. However, that game deals with Uboats, which is an entirely different scene altogether.

The only reason i think this is even a plausible question in the Pacific theater is because the iconic Fleet Submarine is 6 bow tubes, 4 stern tubes, propeller guard, and look outs in the periscope sheers. Any submarine that doesn't have that, (at least in my opinion) is simply an earlier design evolution, because all boats, ultimately serve the same purpose. That of the Fleet submarine. Originally envisioned as a scout for the fleet, but later used as a long range attack submarine in the largest ocean in the world. ( As opposed to Uboats that had submarines built for different purposes)

Anyway, i'm curious to see how the community feels about the concept of "One boat done really well". As opposed to "many boats done fairly well." as applied to fleet submarines.

( Sometimes i think i get a good idea, but really i might as well be smoking crack. That's what i'm trying to find out here. :shifty: )

edit:
The obvious third choice of "Max detail and max choices" intentionally omitted because I cannot deliver that. The second choice has already been delivered, its the first choice thats the hairbrained idea.

razark
02-21-11, 01:27 AM
I can see the appeal of "One boat done really well". It's been the goal of many fight sims. Model one aircraft, visually and performance-wise, and let the player fly that.

The submarine war in the Pacific, however, doesn't fit into that mold, in my opinion.

As you said, earlier boats were "simply an earlier design evolution" (although, I'm not sure how well that holds for the S-boats), but the constantly improving fleet boat was a very important part of the submarine war in the Pacific. The war began with the earlier boats, some of them very old and outdated, not prepared to fight the kind of war they were being thrown into. As the war progressed, newer design features entered service, with the experience of the older boats directly influencing the newer, and the older boats themselves being modified to keep up. This stream of upgrades and refits adds very much to the feel of a Pacific subsim. Every boat had a part to play in the campaign, so every boat deserves a place in a sim.

That said, if one were to go for the "One boat done really well", I suppose a well done Gato would be the class that would make sense to see done.

magic452
02-21-11, 01:43 AM
A well done Gato would suit me very well, I seldom get to the later part of the war as that Ducimus guy always comes up with a new version of TMO so I gotta start all over again. :haha: :yeah: :yeah:

Not much sense in doing the early boats as you lost them pretty quickly.
You can use a Gato till the end without problem.

Magic

TorpX
02-21-11, 02:32 AM
I would agree with razark here. The S class and V boats were considered evolutionary "dead ends", but still played their part. There is a tendency to focus on the superlative, late model deluxe item and overlook the crude, early model item, even when the later is equally important in the campaign.

IMO, it is difficult to really appreciate the capabilities of the fleet boats, without having first experienced the limitations of the S-boats.

I'm assuming that your thinking mainly of the interiors though. Don't most of the gameplay/physics challanges apply to all the classes of boats?

razark
02-21-11, 02:35 AM
I seldom get to the later part of the war as that Ducimus guy always comes up with a new version of TMO so I gotta start all over again.
I know that feeling. If it's not Ducimus, it's one of the other fine modders here.

Not much sense in doing the early boats as you lost them pretty quickly.
They may not have been the most beautiful gals at the dance, but they stayed for the party:
USS Barracuda (SS-163)
Decommissioned: 3 March 1945
USS Bass (SS-164): 3 March 1945
USS Bonita (SS-165): 3 March 1945
USS Narwhal (SS-167): 23 April 1945
USS Nautilus (SS-168): 30 June 1945
USS Dolphin (SS-169): 2 October 1945
USS Cachalot (SS-170): 17 October 1945
USS Cuttlefish (SS-171): 24 October 1945
USS Porpoise (SS-172): 15 November 1945
USS Pike (SS-173): 15 November 1945
USS Tarpon (SS-175): 15 November 1945
USS Permit (SS-178): 15 November 1945
USS Plunger (SS-179): 15 November 1945
USS Pollack (SS-180): 21 September 1945
USS Salmon (SS-182): 24 September 1945
USS Seal (SS-183): 15 November 1945
USS Skipjack (SS-184): 28 August 1946
USS Snapper (SS-185): 15 November 1945
USS Stingray (SS-186): 17 October 1945
USS Sturgeon (SS-187): 15 November 1945
USS Sargo (SS-188): 22 June 1946
USS Saury (SS-189): 22 June 1946
USS Spearfish (SS-190): 22 June 1946
USS Sailfish (SS-192): 27 October 1945
USS Seadragon (SS-194): 29 October 1946
USS Searaven (SS-196): 11 December 1946
USS Tambor (SS-198): 10 December 1945
USS Tautog (SS-199): 8 December 1945
USS Thresher (SS-200): 12 July 1946
USS Tuna (SS-203): 11 December 1946
USS Gar (SS-206): 11 December 1945In addition, some of the old S-boats were running war patrols into 1944.

I'm goin' down
02-21-11, 02:55 AM
You put 'em in the water and i will try to sail 'em.

Ducimus
02-21-11, 03:09 AM
I'll just leave the link to something i figured out tonight here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1602175&postcount=10
It might change a few minds, or it might not. *shrug* Figured you outta know either way.

Istar
02-21-11, 04:17 AM
I think having only 1 boat could really help with the immersion factor.
It will really be your boat and your crew. No longer just any boat.
IRL captains where also proud on their boats stating it was the best even if it was an old rust bucket.
Though it would be nice if you could have the option to choose the type of boat at the beginning of the campaign. And after that it would be your boat for the war.

Hylander_1314
02-21-11, 06:40 AM
Only one boat? Reminds too much of the old Nintendo Silent Service. Although fun, operating a Balao Class boat in December 1941 is just wrong.

Istar
02-21-11, 07:13 AM
Who ever said you would get a Balao ? Or even start in 41 ? :O:

Though I can imagine it being a hard question to answer if you don`t know what you will get by going for 1 sub , but you do know (or think you know) what you will give up.
Maybe if it could be made more clear what is to gain by going for one ship people will be more inclined to go for that.
Though I can understand if that is still not 100% known at this point.

Platapus
02-21-11, 09:07 AM
While, of course, I want the best of all worlds and I want it now and for no cost. :D

I voted for the one boat modeled very well. I am the type of player that is primarily interested in the simulation of the submarine operations. I would love to have a submarine simulator where I, the player, could occupy the key stations and really run then a accurately as possible in a computer game. For instance, I have always wanted more in depth simulation of the hydrophone and sonar capabilities.

So for the purposes of this poll, put me down for the better "one" instead of the ok "more".

But since you mentioned SH5 in this context, I would like to comment on that.

While I am also less than thrilled with SH5, I believe that it is important to evaluate SH5 on what it intended to be.

In my opinion, SH5 is not a submarine simulator as I consider a submarine simulator (based on what I posted above). SH5 is a submarine commander simulator. There is a big difference and one is not better than the other. They are two different implementations of what a simulator is.

It is my opinion that SH5 had the right goal, but their implementation was off. This is why I can't fairly compare SH5 with SH3 (or SH4 for that matter). SH3/4 are submarine simulators and SH5 is a submarine commander simulation.

If SH5 were "fixed", it still would be a different game from SH3. Some, like me, like the more submarine simulator games but others may like the commander simulator game concept.

Ducimus
02-21-11, 10:46 AM
:hmmm:

Poll results thus far are sorta what i expected.

(Has anyone figured out, i only post polls when i'm up to something? )

AVGWarhawk
02-21-11, 11:11 AM
I liked the multiple boat done fairly well option. If I get a boat with all the bells and whistles this takes away from the satisfaction of achieving the next boat or the next piece of equipment. To me, the loss of achievable goals other than fulfilling an objective takes away from the game.

razark
02-21-11, 11:46 AM
(Has anyone figured out, i only post polls when i'm up to something?)
How many times have you "retired" from modding and said "Never again!"?

tomoose
02-21-11, 01:40 PM
Fairly well suits me as it's always good to have historical options. Getting the refits to work correctly would be fantastic. I'm getting a bit annoyed with accepting a new command and "losing" my surface search radar and not being able to "purchase" it and install it again.
It's my perception that the only way I'll hang on to my "acquired" kit such as SJ radar is to keep the same boat throughout the war if possible.

stephenf555
02-21-11, 03:21 PM
I'm a recent convert to SH from flight sims, on which I have spent lots of time. It's a similar problem though...for instance, on release of them game will there be 10 planes modeled averagely to get a decent picture of flying different types of machines, or just one or two done really well to give the realism that proper nerds like me enjoy :D

Flight simulators (well, MS ones anyway) tend to go for a bunch of planes with a bit of realism. Then after market developers and modders bring out unbelievably accurately modeled aircraft down to every last visual, technical and sound detail. In general because of the work involved it is professional developers (See PMG and Captain Sim for ridiculously accurate jumbo jets and hercules aircraft) that bring out these and they are commercially successful.

Just my random 2 cents thrown in from another angle.

Are there commercial ad-ons for SH?

Sailor Steve
02-21-11, 04:48 PM
Both ideas sound good to me, but I like the less-travelled road, like S-boats and V-boats, so I voted many "pretty good" ones over one "perfect" boat.

I'm goin' down
02-21-11, 05:53 PM
That's what we're paying your for. Isn't it?:haha:

NorthBeach
02-21-11, 06:02 PM
There are occasions that I decide to see a career through from beginning to end, rather than spend a few weeks in a certain period and boat, then bail for a new situation/challenge. On those occasions, after spending time in a S boat, scrutinizing all the variables, and executing the battle plans, involved to achieve low risk/high return iron-reef construction, being rewarded with a Gato (and those wonderful two additional forward tubes) is like being handed the keys to an F22! Lickety split I'm running to install the 3D TDC Radar mod in anticipation of playing with all the new capabilities & goodies. It would be great not to have to resort to file manipulation to achieve this feeling of glee. Thus, "Fairly Well" works for me.

razark
02-21-11, 06:36 PM
That's what we're paying your for. Isn't it?:haha:
And I'm sure he's more than happy to give you exactly what you've paid for.

Ducimus
02-21-11, 07:29 PM
And I'm sure he's more than happy to give you exactly what you've paid for.

:haha::har: :woot: :yep:

Armistead
02-21-11, 07:30 PM
I just prefer each boat be historically close as much as possible.

TorpX
02-22-11, 02:04 AM
:hmmm:

Poll results thus far are sorta what i expected.

(Has anyone figured out, i only post polls when i'm up to something? )
I took that for granted.

I think I know what your thinking.....................:hmmm:

If there was a boat with a unique history, a boat that served throughout the war, a boat with proud accomplishments............

If only someone knew of such a boat..........^^^Tautog^^^

Well, I'm stumped. :DL

Ducimus
02-22-11, 03:18 AM
Yeah.. i was. I shoved it off on a back burner. I needed this poll as a reality check. Once irealized how much effort i was dumping into it, I posted this poll to get a rough idea on how it would go over. I'm guessing not as well as i had hopped. *shrug* fine by me, no sweat off my nose, i just move on to other things.

This bit of brutal honesty brought to you by two double shots of captain morgan. Never drink and post!

Hylander_1314
02-22-11, 03:45 AM
If I could Ducimus, I'd pass along a bottle of Meyers Dark or Platinum White rum for ya'! Heck man, you deserve it! Some real good Caribbean rum!

Istar
02-22-11, 04:51 AM
What I don`t really get here is why it has to be one or the other.

Ducimus, if you wanna bring out a Tautog campaign (like i`ve seen you talk about in another thread) you should just do it. People who rather play TMO and have lots of boats would play that. People wanting a proper build ship including campaign would play that. Or heck just create a double install.
And let`s not forget, at the moment only 30 people voted and it`s 13 to 17. Multiply that percentage with all the people playing SH4 and using mod`s. That`s a hell of a lot of people interested in your new MOD. Probably also some non TMO players.
If you really am interested in building this I`d say go for it. People often don`t know what is good for them anyway. :O:

Just remember "can`t please everyone, so you got to please yourself"

sharkbit
02-22-11, 08:20 AM
It depends, but I voted for the many types of subs being available.

I would be happy with the one type of submarine done really well, but I don't want a "submarine simulator" as somebody mentioned above. I don't want to trim the boat, load the tubes, operate the diving planes, flush the toilet type of simulator.

I prefer the "submarine commander simulator". I want to set up the attack, evade retaliation, and make those kind of decisions and let my crew operate the boat with a boat that behaves as realistically as possible within the confines of the game.

:)

Bilge_Rat
02-22-11, 09:31 AM
Yeah.. i was. I shoved it off on a back burner. I needed this poll as a reality check. Once irealized how much effort i was dumping into it, I posted this poll to get a rough idea on how it would go over. I'm guessing not as well as i had hopped. *shrug* fine by me, no sweat off my nose, i just move on to other things.

This bit of brutal honesty brought to you by two double shots of captain morgan. Never drink and post!

I am sure whatever you want to do will be well received, especially an in depth look at one boat. I would certainly be interested.

WernherVonTrapp
02-22-11, 09:55 AM
I voted the "Fairly Well" option. Not that I don't appreciate exacting standards but, I tend to hold myself to higher standards (that I cannot even keep) than I hold others. This translates to appreciation of fine detail by others and no appreciation of myself. Hmmm:hmmm:, oh well, anyway, in all the times I've been playing, I really don't spend much time meandering about my boat. I visit the various cpmpartments by necessity, not by design. That aside, I do appreciate the small details/touches in TMO that are aren't found anywhere else.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/headache.gifGeez, I hope that makes sense. I'm really tired right now.

jldjs
02-22-11, 01:21 PM
I've played SHIV for year and half, past year with TMO. Not that I'm bored with it, but I always looked for your newest release and moved to it as soon as I could. Therefore I vote for your "done well" as long as it is a submarine commander simulation, because it would be something new.

Keelbuster
02-22-11, 03:25 PM
I didn't notice a ton of variance between fleet boats in SHIV compared to the uboats in sH3. As you said, the german boats were designed for radically different functions (II - coastal/north sea hunting; VII - hunt the western approaches; IX - ultra-long range hunting; XXI - bringing about the nautical apocalypse).

In terms of fleet boats, it's a bit tedious until you get to the Gato; which has 'full' fleet boat functionality. Hence, in terms of the poll I voted for 'one done really well' so long as we're talking about fleet boats. But I must say I _really_ miss the variance in boats and strategies that were present in SH3.

Ducimus
02-22-11, 04:10 PM
n terms of fleet boats, it's a bit tedious until you get to the Gato

How about a Tambor will 4 conning tower refits instead of a gato? Or is it all about the gato? In gameplay terms, the main difference between the two is diving depth.
(edit: admittidy, mission wise, the Gato is easier. I'm perplexed as to how the hell would I handle Dec 7th as a starting date. )

TorpX
02-23-11, 03:59 AM
Ducimus,

I don't think you should let the poll disuade you, from doing something you want to do. You are in a better position to judge how feasible/worthwhile the project would be, than we are. This is especially true, as you will be the one who is doing all the work. If you did want to pick one boat to work on, I would consider the Tautog to be the best choice. This would avoid a truncated campaign. (I'm being obvious here. :88))

P.S. Don't run yourself into the ground. Take a break and play SH vX, or Othergame vXX, and relax a while. (And NO MODDING during R&R.) ;)

MaddogK
02-23-11, 02:50 PM
As usual I'm late to the party.
I will however say I'm of the 1 perfect boat mindset- the caviat being obsolete. Having the state of the art boat is not why I play sub games, I like to play with the 'used and abused' boats, so a perfect S or T boat is comfortable to me in a WW2 sim, like an old gym shoe.

WernherVonTrapp
02-23-11, 04:14 PM
Even though I voted the "Fairly Well" category, I can assert that I would be extremely happy with, and equally thankful for, any new submarine modifications you might add. If you add it to TMO, I'll certainly use it.:yep::salute:

Diablo2
02-23-11, 04:45 PM
Voted for 1 done very well. Think it would add to the immersion to skipper 1 boat throughout the war, more of a connection and whatnot...

Wilcke
02-24-11, 11:15 AM
Well, maybe two really well done boats, the Gato and the Tambor! I think I have played enough with the early boats. Although it is a blast to patrol in a completely kitted out S-42!

Its all good man!

Ducimus
02-25-11, 09:50 PM
Well, maybe two really well done boats, the Gato and the Tambor! I think I have played enough with the early boats. Although it is a blast to patrol in a completely kitted out S-42!

Its all good man!

Interesting the poll results.

You know the odd thing is, the Gato seems to be the most iconic of fleet boats. At least, that's the impression I have. I never understood that entirely. I mean, in my mind, when i think "fleet boat" the first thing that pops into my head is Gato. Why? Is that just me, or is that the real icon? The odd thing is, there were a hell of a lot more Balao's made then Gato's, and yet the Gato stands out. Maybe it's because the balao's came later after the "formative" years of the war? I don't know.

I was looking at a "favorite boat" poll posted 3 years ago, and out of 338 votes, the results were:

Sboats: 56 (16.57%)
Porpoise: 21 (6.21%)
Salmon/Sargo: 31 (9.17%)
Tambor Gar: 31 ( 9.17%)
Gato:92( 27.22%)
Balao:107 (31.6%)

Ignoring the often gallant history associated with all the boat classes, my personal thoughts on them in context of within the game:

Lots of people love the S class. Personally? I strongly dislike them. To me they are the type 2's of the Uboat world - dugout canoes to be avoided.

The porpoise? With 4 forward and 2 aft, it smacks of a type 9 with a much shallower crush depth. *shrug* Why would i want that?

Salmon and sargo's. I do like the sargo's hull conning tower shape. But for some really weird reason, i have a problem with having as many tubes aft as i have in the bow. Why? I don't know, it just bugs me.

Tambor/Gar. Now we're talking! 4 aft, 6 bow. You can spit as many fish out your bow as a type 9 from both ends. The only fly in the ointment is the lower test and crush depth as compared to a gato... well... not REALLY. Reading a PDF from our local fleet boat expert from navsource, it would seem their really was no difference in crush depth between these boats and a gato. The only difference being a water tight bulkhead seperating the engine spaces.

Gato. You know what I love? 4 possible refit configurations. What i hate? can't dive as deep as a balao.

Balao. The only thing i don't like, is it has the least refit options, and it comes later in the game. One conning tower type, and a late war start.

All this rambeling, it leads me back to a point i should have made earlier.

- Some people derive pleasure from new commands. Going up the evolutionary pecking order from WW1 riveted rust bucket, to the Tench.

- Other people derive pleasure from commanding one boat through out the entire war. Watching that boat evolve technologically as the war progresses. ( I think i fall in this category)

- Other still, are probably a mix of the two.

CDR Resser
02-25-11, 10:47 PM
Ducimus;

I have been following this thread with interest, as I am a fan of your work since Flavored to Taste. If I may, I would like to offer a suggestion. Perhaps instead of concentrating on a particular class of boat, instead focus on the career of one or two of the most interesting skippers in the various boats.

Most didn't command more than 1 or 2 classes of boats. I just imagine how interesting it would be to be put in the same situations as Creed Burlingame, Sam Dealy, Mush Morton, Dick O'Kane and others. Have a career structured to have the same patrol orders as some of the more famous skippers.

Perhaps this would be more of an extension to what you're planning. Either way, I look forward to anything else you decide to do with the game.

Just a thought, do with it what you will.

Thanks

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

Krauter
02-25-11, 10:59 PM
Myself personally, I enjoy having one boat during the entire war and see her through the tough times.

One thing to note. As you said, the only real difference between the Tambor and Gato was that one bulkhead between engine spaces. So could it not be possible to simply make a Tambor interior, and then have a brand new Gato interior (basically the same as the Tambor except for the bulkhead thrown in?) for when you get promoted?

Also, for the Dec 7th issue.. When were Gato boats being tested and the like? Maybe you could be one of the 'first' skippers to get the boat and put her through her paces near San Diego or near Norfolk.

Ducimus
02-25-11, 11:12 PM
You've both touched on some thoughts that have crossed my mind.

Krauter
02-25-11, 11:25 PM
Ducimus;

I have been following this thread with interest, as I am a fan of your work since Flavored to Taste. If I may, I would like to offer a suggestion. Perhaps instead of concentrating on a particular class of boat, instead focus on the career of one or two of the most interesting skippers in the various boats.

Most didn't command more than 1 or 2 classes of boats. I just imagine how interesting it would be to be put in the same situations as Creed Burlingame, Sam Dealy, Mush Morton, Dick O'Kane and others. Have a career structured to have the same patrol orders as some of the more famous skippers.

Perhaps this would be more of an extension to what you're planning. Either way, I look forward to anything else you decide to do with the game.

Just a thought, do with it what you will.

Thanks

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

I like this idea as well. The only problem I foresee with this is some skippers did a lot of lifeguard duty as well as other not so exciting things.

Also, one problem I think might be a problem is getting similar contacts as they had. Otherwise giving them the same orders wouldn't really be emulating there careers. (I think.)

Not meaning to bash this idea but hopefully build more ideas and solutions upon it.

Ducimus
02-25-11, 11:45 PM
I think a career game should feel like a journey.

CDR Resser
02-25-11, 11:54 PM
I think a career game should feel like a journey.

Exactly.

Similar orders, not necessarily identical results.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

NorthBeach
02-26-11, 01:40 AM
Gato. You know what I love? 4 possible refit configurations. What i hate? can't dive as deep as a balao.

Balao. The only thing i don't like, is it has the least refit options, and it comes later in the game. One conning tower type, and a late war start.

You have expressed my feelings exactly. :salute:

Istar
02-26-11, 02:31 AM
Problem I see with emulating a career is re-playability.
If you played it once, it`s basically the the same all the other times.
Unless of course there is some randomness build in.

A good balance between random and planned (scripted ?) events might be interesting though. :hmmm:

Elektroniikka-Asentaja
02-26-11, 09:17 AM
S-boats: 56 (16.57%)
Porpoise: 21 (6.21%)
Salmon/Sargo: 31 (9.17%)
Tambor Gar: 31 ( 9.17%)
Gato:92( 27.22%)
Balao:107 (31.6%)

Ignoring the often gallant history associated with all the boat classes, my personal thoughts on them in context of within the game:

Lots of people love the S class. Personally? I strongly dislike them. To me they are the type 2's of the Uboat world - dugout canoes to be avoided.

The porpoise? With 4 forward and 2 aft, it smacks of a type 9 with a much shallower crush depth. *shrug* Why would i want that?

Salmon and sargo's. I do like the sargo's hull conning tower shape. But for some really weird reason, i have a problem with having as many tubes aft as i have in the bow. Why? I don't know, it just bugs me.

Tambor/Gar. Now we're talking! 4 aft, 6 bow. You can spit as many fish out your bow as a type 9 from both ends. The only fly in the ointment is the lower test and crush depth as compared to a gato... well... not REALLY. Reading a PDF from our local fleet boat expert from navsource, it would seem their really was no difference in crush depth between these boats and a gato. The only difference being a water tight bulkhead seperating the engine spaces.

All this rambeling, it leads me back to a point i should have made earlier.

- Some people derive pleasure from new commands. Going up the evolutionary pecking order from WW1 riveted rust bucket, to the Tench.

- Other people derive pleasure from commanding one boat through out the entire war. Watching that boat evolve technologically as the war progresses. ( I think i fall in this category)

- Other still, are probably a mix of the two.

Nice explanation of feelings for all boats :D I'm one of those who like S-Boats and perhaps I can clear a bit why :O:

Perhaps it's just some little masochist in me that likes the feeling that I'm the slowest, worst armed and armored thing that is moving in the sea. I'm required to be damn silent, hunt without being detected, I always need to think twice before I encounter anything, I always need to think where I waste my torpedos and I always need to fear that someone moves behind me where I can't do anything about it. Longest diving and surfacing times... yea but lowest periscope depth if I've understood right (which most likely is bad thing in some people's opinion)

Of course, the arcade gamer that lives in me hates the slow speed that requires turning time compression to +5000 in case I want to get a single mission done in a day.

Is there anything good then? May be that I've misunderstood something but my opinion is that they have the best deck gun in the game..

I've never felt myself comfortable in those "proper fleet boats", Tambor, Gato, Gar, Balao etc. I don't know why, it's awesome to let it fly with 6 fore torpedos and watch cruisers go down before they even realize that something attacked them. Then someone tries to circle around me and I'll let it fly with 4 aft torpedos and there it goes down to the waves. And still I feel uncomfortable.. :hmmm:

Unfortunately you can't play trough the war with S-boat. It's "take a balao or retire" :damn:

Ducimus
02-26-11, 12:40 PM
Problem I see with emulating a career is re-playability.
If you played it once, it`s basically the the same all the other times.
Unless of course there is some randomness build in.

Agreed.

Slyguy3129
02-26-11, 05:07 PM
Hey I think I remember this being talked about a while back in the TMO thread in the mod section.

For what it's worth Duci I am one of those S-18 nuts (also like starting with the type 2b) just to appreciate the later models.

But the way I see it, your name is practically a brand name here at subsim. With as much fun as I have had with TMO I will no doubt try this mod out simply because I know the quality will be tops. I imagine alot of people feel that way.

And because of that I would say go for. Who knows the mod might evolve into something as popular or more so even than TMO.

Just my .0187654 cents (inflation)

joea
02-26-11, 06:35 PM
I voted number two. That said I am not one to try to go through the whole war from a rustbucket to a shiny wondersub. I like to play careers as different captains in different periods of the war and try to survive and do the best I can no matter what the situation. So I don't care about amassing a humongous score by 1945 having fought from the Philippines to Tokyo Bay.

Some of us like single missions as well to try out stuff. In SHIII I never tried a career with a Type XXI but had fun with the single mission.

Krauter
02-27-11, 08:00 PM
Think this might be something cool you could use Duci...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=1608312&posted=1#post1608312

Armistead
02-27-11, 09:22 PM
How about a Tambor will 4 conning tower refits instead of a gato? Or is it all about the gato? In gameplay terms, the main difference between the two is diving depth.
(edit: admittidy, mission wise, the Gato is easier. I'm perplexed as to how the hell would I handle Dec 7th as a starting date. )

I would love a well done Tambor class that could be used from the start of the war to the finish. One thing I hate in campaign mode is if you keep refusing offers for new boats is they eventually retire you. Sucks when you get an offer for a new boat, turn it down and end up at a desk. Love to keep a Tambor the entire war. You mention keeping a boat through the war, I've never been able to, seems about the 3 or 4th offer that's turned down gets me retired. Seems I'm usually in a S boat or Sargo.

razark
02-27-11, 09:26 PM

:o

Oh my. I see a huge number of open doors.

Sledgehammer427
02-28-11, 01:29 AM
Both ideas sound good to me, but I like the less-travelled road, like S-boats and V-boats, so I voted many "pretty good" ones over one "perfect" boat.

I second Steve.

I did a little work on the Narwhal, I love the V-Boats.

TorpX
02-28-11, 09:52 AM

How would this be used for SH4? I mean, would one be able to make a substantial change to the game engine code, or would it be only tinkering and mucking about in the dark, so to speak?

razark
02-28-11, 10:26 AM
How would this be used for SH4? I mean, would one be able to make a substantial change to the game engine code, or would it be only tinkering and mucking about in the dark, so to speak?

If I'm reading it correctly, it could be used to make major functionality changes to the engine. The stuff that couldn't be dealt with because it was hard coded.

Bilge_Rat
02-28-11, 10:40 AM
I love the S-boats, however the problem I have with them in game is that none of them in 41-42 had a radar or a TDC fire control computer. So sitting in the control room and seeing the radar screen or going to the scope and seeing the TDC kills the immersion for me.

The Balao is the best, but comes in the latter part of the war.

To me, the sweet spot is the Tambor or Gato class. They were there for most of the war, have 10 torpedo tubes and the latest TDC. Sure, they may not dive as deep as a Balao, but in SH4, it is a very rare event when you have to dive deeper than 400 feet.