PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about GFX cards

Jester_UK
02-06-11, 06:27 PM
I'm currently playing SH4 (with OM/OMGEU mods) but am considering getting SH5.

The one thing is that according to Steam supported nVidia cards start at the 8800 series. I have a 7900GTX 512MB GFX card and can't afford to upgrade for the forseeable future. Will my GFX card be able to handle SH5 or would it be a non starter?

Also I have read that the DRM has changed so that you no longer need to be connected to UBI's servers at all times. Is this true? And if so how does the changed system work?

salamine
02-06-11, 08:00 PM
Latest card drivers may help. However, it is hard to say something for sure. For example I have 9300 and there are still some FPS issues.

WillyVic
02-07-11, 01:46 AM
I'm currently playing SH4 (with OM/OMGEU mods) but am considering getting SH5.

The one thing is that according to Steam supported nVidia cards start at the 8800 series. I have a 7900GTX 512MB GFX card and can't afford to upgrade for the forseeable future. Will my GFX card be able to handle SH5 or would it be a non starter?

Also I have read that the DRM has changed so that you no longer need to be connected to UBI's servers at all times. Is this true? And if so how does the changed system work?

1. The 7900GTX supports shaders 3.0 and Directx 9c. It has 512Mb. This meets/exceeds the minimum requirements in that area. It lags behind a 8800 by only about 10 to 15% on most older games so I imagine it may be able to handle SH5 at the lower settings. It does state that only the chipsets listed are supported but that may mean directly supported (help and such). Now I am not telling you it will run the game but as you can purchase SH5 from an online retailer for as low as $10.00 including shipping it may be worth the gamble.

2. The DRM has changed so that you only have to be online when you start the game. After that you can shut down internet connection if desired. Make sure you save games offline vs online.

WV

Drewcifer
02-07-11, 02:49 AM
I would venture a guess and say it won't be worth playing.. honestly Sh5 is extremely greedy on the GPU. Like a fat kid in a fudge shop greedy.

GT182
02-07-11, 11:46 AM
If you're going with nVidia, get at least an 8800GT 1GB DDR3 card. My Zotac runs SH5 with no problems. Comp USA had a 9800 1GB DDR3 card for 109.00 I believe. That one is also a very good nVidea card. These are older graphics cards but the price is right on them.

Just make usre you get the latest drivers installed. I've been using Driver Genius to keep my drivers updated. You don't have to uninstall the drivers you have as DG takes care of it for you, and it will backup the drivers you already have to reuse if need be if the new ones cause problems.

LoverBoy
02-07-11, 04:19 PM
Hello

Well I have 2 EVGA GFX 580 SuperClocked graphic cards, and SH5 runs perfectly, with average of 150 fps, with all settingd maxed out!

Cya

THE_MASK
02-07-11, 05:08 PM
I would venture a guess and say it won't be worth playing.. honestly Sh5 is extremely greedy on the GPU. Like a fat kid in a fudge shop greedy.You shouldnt pick on fat kids , they have enough on there plate .

Jester_UK
02-07-11, 05:30 PM
Well I took the chance and bought the game.

It runs fine but only on low GFX settings.

Mind you, low GFX settings in this game are still pretty sweet! :DL

Now the only thing I still need to figure out is how to get the watch crew on deck when surfaced..........:oops:

THE_MASK
02-07-11, 05:35 PM
Well I took the chance and bought the game.

It runs fine but only on low GFX settings.

Mind you, low GFX settings in this game are still pretty sweet! :DL

Now the only thing I still need to figure out is how to get the watch crew on deck when surfaced..........:oops:let me guess , you are playing the first mission which is the tutorial . Follow the promps until you are in the bunker and recieve the green tick . Your campaign proper starts then . The crew and parts of the interface dont appear until you have completed the mission , shouldnt take more than 15 minutes . Uninstall all mods while playing the tutorial .

Sailor Steve
02-07-11, 06:10 PM
You shouldnt pick on fat kids , they have enough on there plate .
And I shouldn't pick on kids who have trouble with their language skills, but I do. :O:

THE_MASK
02-07-11, 06:21 PM
And I shouldn't pick on kids who have trouble with their language skills, but I do. :O:I only went to grade won .

Jester_UK
02-07-11, 09:47 PM
let me guess , you are playing the first mission which is the tutorial . Follow the promps until you are in the bunker and recieve the green tick . Your campaign proper starts then . The crew and parts of the interface dont appear until you have completed the mission , shouldnt take more than 15 minutes . Uninstall all mods while playing the tutorial .

You guessed right. Got a bit twitchy standing up top all on my lonesome.... Was waiting for that bugger of a captain to dive the boat under my feet. Funnilly enough he didn't. Maybe he likes me afterall!!

Just out of interest what problems can mods cause in the tutorial? I've installed twoL The accurate German flags mod and the German speech files pack (the one including the sound files from the original game, not the Das Boot mod). Would they present problems?

THE_MASK
02-07-11, 10:15 PM
You guessed right. Got a bit twitchy standing up top all on my lonesome.... Was waiting for that bugger of a captain to dive the boat under my feet. Funnilly enough he didn't. Maybe he likes me afterall!!

Just out of interest what problems can mods cause in the tutorial? I've installed twoL The accurate German flags mod and the German speech files pack (the one including the sound files from the original game, not the Das Boot mod). Would they present problems?There alright . I just started a how to start a campaign thread . Havnt finished it yet .

drakkhen20
02-08-11, 12:40 AM
jester uk... there are plenty of sites you can upgrade cheaply. i had 3-way sli gtx 9800+ 512s running and it would run sh5 on all settings on high except anti-aliasing was turned of but it would still stutter a bit in the command room. also if you need the latest drivers go to www.nvidia.com (http://www.nvidia.com) or www.geforce.com (http://www.geforce.com) . if you go to www.evga.com (http://www.evga.com) and click on products, then on B-stock you will find preety good cards at a decent price from $40 to $360 bucks:up:. Check out these other sites you could surf....
www.amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com)
www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com)
www.tigerdirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com)
www.ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com)
.... and if all else fails.... google it.:ping:

Jester_UK
02-08-11, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. I am getting a bit of stuttering in the control room, but only when I hold the mouse button and pan the camera around quickly.

I do also notice a very slight pause just as a torpedo hits home and the target explodes...... But considering my card is currently below spec I never expected the game to run flawlessly even on low settings.

A friend of mine recently offered me an ATI X1900 512MB card BTW. I'm not clued up on ATI products at all. How does that card compare to the 7900GTX I've currently got?

THE_MASK
02-08-11, 07:08 AM
Try antilag
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=2871

also try this
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1580737&postcount=717

Jester_UK
02-08-11, 08:45 AM
Thanks Sober. I'd already noticed your mention of Antilag in another thread and have installed it. It's certainly made a major improvement.

I'll read through the other link carefully later on.

I have noticed one problem and suspect this is my card not being able to handle to GFX strain in Kiel. The game continues to run fine but the screen goes black. Outlines of selectable characters and items still show up and the 2d screens (nav map for example) still work fine. I can get the 3d back by alt-tabbing out of the game and back in again (or in a worst case scenario by quitting to desktop and restarting the game) and the frame rates don't seem to be effected. Outside of Kiel I have never seen this happen.

Am I right in assuming this is down to my card being below spec? I have installed the latest drivers from the nVidia website BTW. I'd noticed this before upgrading the drivers and hoped they'd sort it out. Unfortunately it hasn't helped.

Bilge_Rat
02-08-11, 09:19 AM
just did a quick FPS test last night, stock sh5, max graphics, v-sync on, in-game FSAA off, but my card settings at 2xFSAA, 2xAniso filtering, 1920x1200@60hz.

In game fps in the control room and on deck are always at 60 which is my refresh rate. No doubt v-sync off would yield higher FPS, but 60 is already more than needed.

This is with a ATI 4890, cat 10.12, win 7 64 bit, 27" dell widescreen monitor, Intel quad 9550.

Despite the beautiful graphics, SH5 is not extremely demanding hardware wise. As you can see, my system is no longer top of the line.

As an aside, does anyone know if SH5 was designed to use multiple cores? While running the game, I noticed all 4 cores were being used.

GT182
02-08-11, 11:41 AM
Jester, also take a look at www.PriceWatch.com. Some really good deals from there too.

This is on PriceWatch and is a super good deal.... http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=EV-450_1GB&c=pw&hash=25dceF0RlD0Cydgi6o05ryWwldGz1vSZFLtd58PoB9OjO fAZSt9XUa1KK5PaOvOygMoBA90OoYLpYTGrs8lwpmckIHstyKc RlfrEzOh8mEY8Wl0jGx%2FFQmH3N36o

Poacher886
02-08-11, 01:00 PM
Its a shame your not UK based, i have both a X1900XT 256mb and ATI3850 512mb and GTX260 896mb for sale...recently awarded myself a GTX570!!

Jester_UK
02-08-11, 02:57 PM
Poacher, I am UK based (West Yorkshire to be precise).

Unfortunately I'm pretty well broke at the minute. What's your asking price on those cards though and how quickly are you wanting to get rid of them?

THE_MASK
02-08-11, 03:28 PM
A lot of mods are not compressing dds files . They are being saved as 32 bit uncompressed . A shadow mod is using 32 bit uncompressed whereas i compressed it in DXT5 . It made a huge diffrence . I am trying to cut down on memory not increase it .

Poacher886
02-08-11, 03:33 PM
A lot of mods are not compressing dds files . They are being saved as 32 bit uncompressed . A shadow mod is using 32 bit uncompressed whereas i compressed it in DXT5 . It made a huge diffrence . I am trying to cut down on memory not increase it .

Thats interesting....i find im getting 65-90fps @ 1920x1200 maxed out with my OC GTX570, but if i look to the rear of my boat especially with binos it will drop to 18fps!!!!

The caulprit....TDW exhaust mod included in the MO mod.

TheDarkWraith
02-08-11, 03:33 PM

There is a downside to compressing in DXT5. I don't remember if it's the CPU or the GPU :06: that has to decompress the image before it can be rendered. This can cause a strain on the end-users computer. I was using DXT5 compressed images in the exhaust mod. SteelViking decompressed them and that cured many of the slowdown problems people were having with the exhaust mod.

Madox58
02-08-11, 03:39 PM
I believe decompression takes place with the CPU not GPU in SH5.
If one has an Nvidia card Cuda would handle somethings
if it was a GPU process.
Not knowing the exact specs for SH5 leaves this as a not sure area.
Is SH5 Cuda friendly or not? That is the question.

Poacher886
02-08-11, 03:45 PM
Poacher, I am UK based (West Yorkshire to be precise).

Unfortunately I'm pretty well broke at the minute. What's your asking price on those cards though and how quickly are you wanting to get rid of them?

Well to be honest, the X1900XT 256mb came out of my box about 3yrs ago, one of the best cards at the time, but its time has since passed and i would think you would only get away with minimum settings depending on your resolution.

The ATI3850 512mb card was a good reliable card, but is starting to show its age now..sure it would play SH5, but don't expect all the candy with it.

I replaced the 3850 just over a year ago with my ASUS GTX260, now this is still a great card and would play SH5 all day long, settings would again depend on your monitor size/resolution.

The funny thing is, i've only just discovered how to use Ebay after thinking to myself how often i upgrade, and all i do with the old (still good) kit that comes out, is put it in a box and chuck it in the loft!!!!!

So i've just got rid of my first set of Memory sticks on Ebay, and now im thinking of slowly getting the rest of my hardware on there.

I guess i would part with them for the following:

X1900XT = £12+ 5p&p
ATI3850 = £20 +5p&p
GTX260 = £50 + 5p&p

The ATI3850 is actually already on E-bay and finishes soon, the rest are in there boxes sat next to me.

Jester_UK
02-08-11, 06:46 PM
I'd certainly be interested in the GTX260, but I'll have to wait till those who are in the queue have had their pound of flesh!

Could take a while to sort out so if you get an offer for it in the meantime you'd be best to take it. I'll give you a shout via PM once things have settled down and see if it's still available if that's ok with you?

Webster
02-09-11, 06:46 PM
Hello

Well I have 2 EVGA GFX 580 SuperClocked graphic cards, and SH5 runs perfectly, with average of 150 fps, with all settingd maxed out!

Cya

please dont spam someones thread :down: