PDA

View Full Version : SH5 <$5 at amazon

nikimcbee
02-06-11, 03:58 PM
It might be the time to buy it, I looked today and the price was $4.60:o:hmmm:. I should cave in and buy it.

Fincuan
02-06-11, 04:00 PM
Tempting, but as long as you can't play it without an internet connection that 4.60$ is better spent somewhere else.

Diablo2
02-06-11, 04:05 PM
Noooo just bought mine for $7.50. :cry:

BigBANGtheory
02-06-11, 05:32 PM
Look on the plus side, at this price its just Amazon shifting stock Ubisoft won't see a penny of it.

Sailor Steve
02-06-11, 08:00 PM
No comment.

I know, posting to say "no comment" is actually making a comment.

"Hello, I must be going. No time to stay, I came to say 'I must be going'".

nikimcbee
02-07-11, 06:02 PM
okay, I did the nasty and ordered it. Now, does the DRM stuff still hold true (meaning it is todt) (constant internet connection)

Sailor Steve
02-07-11, 06:09 PM
What an odd question, considering http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177031

Diablo2
02-07-11, 06:10 PM
DONT BUY A USED COPY!!! just got it yesterday and get a message the cd key is already in use... Sent it back today what a pain in the a$$ that was...

nikimcbee
02-07-11, 06:11 PM
What an odd question, considering http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177031

It's just a comformation ping to target.:O:

Sailor Steve
02-07-11, 06:12 PM
It's just a comformation ping to target.:O:
And while you're conforming to the ping, could you confirm that for me? :O::O:

nikimcbee
02-07-11, 06:12 PM
DONT BUY A USED COPY!!! just got it yesterday and get a message the cd key is already in use... Sent it back today what a pain in the a$$ that was...

No, mine is new. The regular shipping is almost the same as the price.:shifty::hmmm:

Diablo2
02-07-11, 06:13 PM
Just showin my cheap side.. :haha::wah: but yea reordered a new copy for less than i paid used so.. less dissapointed

nikimcbee
02-07-11, 06:13 PM
And while you're conforming to the ping, could you confirm that for me? :O::O:

queue Red October music now...
sound fire alarm...

nikimcbee
02-07-11, 06:14 PM
Just showin my cheap side.. :haha::wah:

It would be easier to use it as a rifle target if mine doesn't work.:woot:

Diablo2
02-07-11, 06:16 PM
It would be easier to use it as a rifle target if mine doesn't work.:woot:

:haha: considered it...

Bilge_Rat
02-07-11, 06:21 PM
okay, I did the nasty and ordered it. Now, does the DRM stuff still hold true (meaning it is todt) (constant internet connection)

welcome to the dark side......:arrgh!:

you just need to logon to start the game, after that an internet connection is not required.

nikimcbee
02-07-11, 06:47 PM
welcome to the dark side......:arrgh!:

you just need to logon to start the game, after that an internet connection is not required.

cool. I guess I'll re-visit this thread when it arrives.

Madox58
02-07-11, 07:13 PM
Is it Ironic, or is it just me?
SH5 is CHEAPER then SH3?
:o

I'll never understand the French.
:nope:

nikimcbee
02-07-11, 07:19 PM
Is it Ironic, or is it just me?
SH5 is CHEAPER then SH3?
:o

I'll never understand the French.
:nope:

...and SH2, combined:haha:

Ducimus
02-07-11, 08:20 PM

Now, if only Ubi will drop the login requirement, or at least add an offline mode. While i guess it's true you don't need a constant connection, the fact remains without a connection, you still can't play.

Harmsway!
02-07-11, 09:03 PM
So how far away is SH5 from the one year mark of the release date?
I say UBI should celebrate the first anniversary by removing DRM.:woot:

Ducimus
02-07-11, 11:42 PM
I have to be honest. The instant a supermod is published at version 1.0, I'll probably play this game, DRM or no since i already bought it.

I would LIKE to play SH4, I would even prefer it, I really would. Trouble is, after 3 and a half years of modding it, i can't stand to look at it, much less play it.

I can't go back to SH3 either - I've tried. It's just looking too old and dated to me. Besides that, been there done that. Ive probably played SH3 MORE then i've played SH4, and the PTO is my preferred theater.

So unless SH5 with a super mod measures up, sub simming is pretty much dead to me. I hate saying it, but there it is. Id delve into SH5 sooner if it wasn't for that DRM. Right now i need a major carrot incentive to even dig out the CD case. I really wish the magic was back. That magic i experienced when i first played SH3. I've spent too long digging under the hood of these games.

Diablo2
02-08-11, 12:16 AM
Take a loooooooooong break.. i got sick of silent hunter 4 after a while built a new pc took a while to get everything transfered to the new hd and thats when i realised how much i missed that game. Redownloaded rsrd and the latest tmo and got right back into it. Really would have 0 interist in sh5 had it not been for all the modding taking place "magnum opus mod" pushed me over the edge to buy it.

Gereke
02-08-11, 03:08 AM
Editing this old response. After putting more hours into this "sim" I've removed it from my hard drive.

I still give props to TDW and other modders for trying their best to make this piece of "software" operable and enjoyable. I have a lot of respect for those that try to make up for what lazy dev's failed short on. Outside of that I think SH5 is worth every penny I paid for it...... (cheap).

THE_MASK
02-08-11, 03:22 AM
I have to be honest. The instant a supermod is published at version 1.0, I'll probably play this game, DRM or no since i already bought it.

I would LIKE to play SH4, I would even prefer it, I really would. Trouble is, after 3 and a half years of modding it, i can't stand to look at it, much less play it.

I can't go back to SH3 either - I've tried. It's just looking too old and dated to me. Besides that, been there done that. Ive probably played SH3 MORE then i've played SH4, and the PTO is my preferred theater.

So unless SH5 with a super mod measures up, sub simming is pretty much dead to me. I hate saying it, but there it is. Id delve into SH5 sooner if it wasn't for that DRM. Right now i need a major carrot incentive to even dig out the CD case. I really wish the magic was back. That magic i experienced when i first played SH3. I've spent too long digging under the hood of these games.Install my list of mods and play things you couldnt in SH3/4 . Real navigation, walk around and interact with the crew . The AI is something else , i have no idea what they are up too most of the time . A truly dynamic campaign with changing objectives , timelines , etc . The mods are there so install and enjoy .

nikimcbee
02-13-11, 11:24 AM
The disk comes monday.:D So what do I need to know?:06:

musides
02-14-11, 05:57 PM
I am considering buying the download version at Amazon. I still play SH3 on occasion, so I figure SH5 *might* be worth it, though all the complaints, etc, still have me worried.

FWIW, the DL version is just $9, which is not too much more than $4.60 + $4 shipping.

musides
02-14-11, 11:33 PM
Just downloaded it. Interesting. Ubisoft website says that 1.1 is the latest version for the US, but I also saw a 1.2 for the EU. Meanwhile, the game auto updater grabbed the EU 1.2 version.

nikimcbee
02-18-11, 06:04 PM
testing out game now....:hmmm:
Time to mod...:D

Diablo2
02-18-11, 06:26 PM
Takes getting use to thats for sure. :hmmm:

Ducimus
02-18-11, 10:59 PM
testing out game now....:hmmm:
Time to mod...:D

I didn't even get 5 days into my first patrol before i went back to SH4 and started modding again. :nope: :damn::damn:

Loganrocks7
02-20-11, 03:39 AM
Nice, I bought mine off of Steam for around 40 to 50$.. Fail

:damn::damn::damn:

wingtip
02-20-11, 09:29 PM
I havent bought it yet either waiting for a cheap bargin bin price and this sounds good if you can buy for $5 but if you didnt like it ducimus i know i wont... ive wondered about if its worth it or not with some people saying they run 40-50 mods to make it playable.. Thats just a unfinished turd of a game... I think i run less than 10 mods for sh4 and love it...

ubi just failed... and im gettin burnt out on ww2 sims... i miss some of my older sub sims where you could go online in a modern sub and go up against other submarines... avoiding passive sonar torps, avoiding active pinging torps and succeeding at it.... alot more intense and fun...
sh6 better knock my socks off if im going to purchase anything ubi again... they got me for sh2-4... forget 5...

nikimcbee
02-27-11, 11:40 AM
update:
I've hardly played it since I got it.:shifty: I tried to install a few mods, but they didn't work. (time to re-read instructions)

I guess, if this is a sign, I went out and bought the SH3 sans DRM from the discount bin with sh2. Soon, I'll be copying GWX from my laptop and putting it on my desktop.

There are aspects of SH5 that are totally cool, but whoever changed the lay-out....:stare::shifty:

Takeda Shingen
02-27-11, 11:46 AM
update:
I've hardly played it since I got it.:shifty: I tried to install a few mods, but they didn't work. (time to re-read instructions)

I guess, if this is a sign, I went out and bought the SH3 sans DRM from the discount bin with sh2. Soon, I'll be copying GWX from my laptop and putting it on my desktop.

There are aspects of SH5 that are totally cool, but whoever changed the lay-out....:stare::shifty:

The layout is easily fixed with mods. You can get pretty much whatever UI you want, so don't let that stop you.

nikimcbee
02-27-11, 12:02 PM
The layout is easily fixed with mods. You can get pretty much whatever UI you want, so don't let that stop you.
I'm shooting for sh3, but I haven't touched it for over a week.:yawn:

danurve
03-01-11, 11:51 AM
Wow with this news I can't see how a new Supermod can be without birth.
It could be called: Operation Epic Burn.
All aboard the SH 5ail sub, don't be late.

Ducimus
03-01-11, 10:27 PM

Unfortunately, the layout change from SH3 was neccessary to some degree. The reason is monitor aspect ratio and resolutions. SH3's layout was fixed at 1024 by 768, in a standard aspect ratio, not a widescreen. It was dependant on that setup. When high resolutions and aspect ratios were introduced, they had to find a new UI.