PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Ad Spoiler

frau kaleun
02-03-11, 04:28 PM
Yeah, so this supposedly won't be officially "shown" until it appears during the broadcast this weekend, but I think it's too awesome to wait until then. And so I give you... the new Volkswagen ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55e-uHQna0

Betonov
02-03-11, 04:44 PM
Love it :DL

I even like the car

bookworm_020
02-03-11, 07:38 PM
Not bad!:)

Platapus
02-03-11, 07:55 PM
Kinda a sucky commercial. VWs can come with remote starters?

Makes me want to sell my car and buy a VW. :yep:

no, I can't back that up. :nope:

frau kaleun
02-03-11, 08:03 PM
Kinda a sucky commercial.

Oh come on, I think it's adorable. The opening shot of "Vader" striding down a white corridor to that ominous march. Plus the kid's body language, the facepalm when mom passes him the sandwich... I think it's cute. Certainly not a groundbreaking concept, but very well done IMO.

Of course I'm a sucker for Vader humor, so...

Platapus
02-03-11, 08:12 PM
It is one of those commercials that is amusing the first time you see it.

I don't think I would ever want to see it again and it certainly does not portray its product in an especially favourable I-want-to-buy-one light.

As for being a Super Bowl level commercial. :down:

I can't believe VW would consider paying a million dollars a second or what ever the current Super Bowl rates are for this. :nope:

ReallyDedPoet
02-03-11, 08:12 PM
Good one :yep:

Gargamel
02-03-11, 08:21 PM
I liked it... the kid walking down the hallway to start was cool

Sailor Steve
02-03-11, 08:57 PM
Cute. :sunny:

UnderseaLcpl
02-04-11, 09:36 AM
It has a remote ignition!? OMFG <facepalm>...... This is almost as traumatizing as the time I found out it wasn't my force powers that were locking the car doors and activating the alarm.

tater
02-04-11, 09:48 AM
Loved that ad.

It's not about selling a specific car, it's about branding. In this case, it might be an attempt at a viral video (it already has over 5 million youtube hits). Brand recognition doesn't have to be about the product specifically, but the commercial has very high production values, and was cute as hell. Overall presents a good memory of VW in the mind of buyers. It also has the family in a nice home, so it subtly creates a sense of what kind of people buy the product (make it look more upscale than the customer might actually be). I think no one takes car ads seriously, frankly, anyone smart enough not to be swayed by ads would likely prefer reviews from unbiased sources (auto mags, websites like edmunds, or even Top Gear).

Given the placement for Superbowl it makes sense. The only way to know how such creative, branding ads works would be to look at VW sales data after ad campaigns, and see if there are changes. It's tough to tell in many cases how well ads actually work (cept direct sales where the ad comes out, and the phone starts ringing).

UnderseaLcpl
02-04-11, 10:24 AM
Tater gets it.:up:

Most advertising is about developing the brand. Producers and retailers understand that they are unlikely to sway you with a 30-second TV spot. They've been in the business long enough to know that consumers are fickle, independednt, and busy with other things. Their goal is to make you remember their brand the next time you consider purchasing a type of product they sell.

There are only 3 types of people who have any concern about the informative content of ads:
1) People who actually watch infomercials and base their purchasing judgements upon information gleaned from them.
2) People who are technologically illiterate/lazy and therefore incapable of performing the very simple task of product research when there are billions of consumer reviews available at a glance.
3) People who have so little faith in other people and their judgement that they think ads are the work of evil, soulless corporations making a conscious effort to brainwash us into consumerism.

The rest of us just prefer that the scheduled interruptions of our chosen program be at least mildly entertaining and original. It's actually a fairly demanding stance, given the fact that revenue generated by commercials allows us to enjoy televised entertainment for free at any time we please, or at least at the rates that competing cable or satellite broadcast companies can afford.

Onkel Neal
02-04-11, 10:49 AM
Loved that ad.

It's not about selling a specific car, it's about branding.
Given the placement for Superbowl it makes sense.

This man is right.

CaptainHaplo
02-04-11, 11:13 AM
My 10 year old loved it. I liked it.

Branding - he yells punch buggy whenever he sees a vw bug. Go ahead -say branding doesnt work...

AVGWarhawk
02-04-11, 11:21 AM
Cute commercial. VW SUCKS:down:

tater
02-04-11, 11:53 AM
Cute commercial. VW SUCKS:down:

I first saw the vid when the link was emailed to me by my brother in law. Here is his text:
Aah, Volkswagon.

They can make a great commercial.

They can make a decent car.

They can't make repairs for under $500.

Enjoy the video.

:)

AVGWarhawk
02-04-11, 12:11 PM
Tater..my 06 Passat was a pile of worn parts. Close to $5000.00 in repairs in just over 12 months. Thankful I had a CPO warranty. I dumped the car and purchased a KIA Optima just before Christmas. Love this one!

tater
02-04-11, 12:36 PM
I can't make any snide remarks about vehicle reliability as I just bought a Land Rover, lol. I'm sure I'll learn about repairs...

ReallyDedPoet
02-04-11, 01:12 PM
I can't make any snide remarks about vehicle reliability as I just bought a Land Rover, lol. I'm sure I'll learn about repairs...

:yep:

AVGWarhawk
02-04-11, 04:01 PM

Break out the checkbook. :oops:

tater
02-04-11, 04:03 PM
My driveway is in such a snowy state that with my old car I'd not have gotten to the top all this week. Been driving up it like it's dry, don't even need to shovel. Woot!

Platapus
02-04-11, 06:03 PM

You should have talked to me beforehand. I am a certified Land Rover Councilor. I could have talked you out of this insanity.

Friends don't let friends buy Land Rovers (at least current ones. The old ones rock)

One question every potential Land Rover purchaser needs to ask themselves.

Are you at all concerned with the repair costs?

If so, you can't afford a contemporary Land Rover. :O:

Tater, I look forward to you posting about your first Brake Job. :har:

Freiwillige
02-04-11, 07:22 PM
Great commercial.

Volkswagen made the greatest cars in the world at one time.

tater
02-04-11, 07:23 PM
You should have talked to me beforehand. I am a certified Land Rover Councilor. I could have talked you out of this insanity.

Friends don't let friends buy Land Rovers (at least current ones. The old ones rock)

One question every potential Land Rover purchaser needs to ask themselves.

Are you at all concerned with the repair costs?

If so, you can't afford a contemporary Land Rover. :O:

Tater, I look forward to you posting about your first Brake Job. :har:

I'l make sure to do so.

If cost was a huge issue, I'd have bought something with decent gas milage :) My plan was not to keep it more than a few years.

I liked the old 109 (1963)... I'd buy a Defender in a heartbeat if they sold them in the US again. I prefer the old ones, but want airbags, AC, etc.