PDA

View Full Version : Indian Frigate sinks in collision

CCIP
02-02-11, 12:22 AM
Haven't seen this posted here.
INS Vindhyagiri:

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/news/navy-warship-ruined-in-fire/189627

footage taken onboard, complete with screaming sailors' wives and kids:
http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/news/the-collision-that-set-a-warship-on-fire/189725

Well darn! That's quite the oops. Any thoughts?

ETR3(SS)
02-02-11, 12:39 AM
My initial thoughts based on the information available is both pilots on the merchant vessels were in the wrong. Coming in and out of any harbor there are specific lanes you are supposed to be in, just like driving down the road. That said there may be some negligence on the part of the Indian warship as well. No doubt they were monitoring the harbor traffic both visually and on a radio. I see no attempts at avoiding the collision on the part of the Indian warship.

Basically it looks like they sail their ships like they drive their cars.:nope:

McBeck
02-02-11, 03:30 AM
Thats a VERY scary thought :doh:

Matador.es
02-02-11, 03:49 AM
There is an video about it on the subsim World Naval News section. It appears to have sunk while docked at the pier where it was since jan 30. :rotfl2:

Sunk, while docked.... where have i seen it before?

BTW, if your on Dt anyway, check the older entry: http://defensetech.org/2011/02/01/chinese-aircraft-carrier-moves-not-quite/

papa_smurf
02-02-11, 05:50 AM
My initial thoughts based on the information available is both pilots on the merchant vessels were in the wrong. Coming in and out of any harbor there are specific lanes you are supposed to be in, just like driving down the road. That said there may be some negligence on the part of the Indian warship as well. No doubt they were monitoring the harbor traffic both visually and on a radio. I see no attempts at avoiding the collision on the part of the Indian warship.

Not just the pilots got it wrong, seems the harbour master wasn't monitoring the ships.

ETR3(SS)
02-02-11, 12:22 PM
INS Vindhyagiri:

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/news/navy-warship-ruined-in-fire/189627Just noticed this while watching the vid again. In the computer rendition of the situation, the INS Vindhyagiri is actually a Tico cruiser.:O:

There is an video about it on the subsim World Naval News section. It appears to have sunk while docked at the pier where it was since jan 30. :rotfl2:

Sunk, while docked.... where have i seen it before?This perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSN-665

Not just the pilots got it wrong, seems the harbour master wasn't monitoring the ships.A good possibility too. Watching the onboard video it's hard to tell how far away from land they are, but if they have pilots onboard they can't be that far away.

I must say I am perplexed by the damage control (or lack thereof) onboard the INS ship. It sank pierside not in the open water, suggesting that the flooding was under some sort of control. But it sank...pierside!:doh:

Growler
02-02-11, 12:31 PM
I must say I am perplexed by the damage control (or lack thereof) onboard the INS ship. It sank pierside not in the open water, suggesting that the flooding was under some sort of control. But it sank...pierside!:doh:

Should have figured you'd beat me to it, in regard to DC.:D

The collision didn't look that violent, and the damage to ship wasn't immediately fatal - they were able to make it to the pier. I mean, given the mass of the two ships - the Indian vessel was so much smaller than the merchie - the fact that it wasn't just plumb run over gives some indication of the nature of the impact. At first glance, it sure looks to me like the DC party got it pier side and quit for the day.

TLAM Strike
02-02-11, 12:40 PM
An Indian Navy Kilo boat caught fire not to long ago as well.

These guys have nuclear submarines now.... scary...

ETR3(SS)
02-02-11, 12:43 PM
An Indian Navy Kilo boat caught fire not to long ago as well.

These guys have nuclear submarines now.... scary...The Akula that they were going to buy from Russia, did it have Indian personnel onboard when it had it's mishap? I know there were Russians on it but can't remember about the Indians.

Jimbuna
02-02-11, 01:08 PM
I can't find anything saying there were any fatalaties....thankfully.

A Nilgiri Class Frigate (updated Leander Class) going the way of so many Leanders before her.

TLAM Strike
02-02-11, 01:32 PM
The Akula that they were going to buy from Russia, did it have Indian personnel onboard when it had it's mishap? I know there were Russians on it but can't remember about the Indians.

I don't think there were any Indians aboard the Nerpa.

But I was talking about their new Arihant class ballistic missile submarine. Mostly home built tech with a few Russian systems. Wonder if she will turn in to another Xia.

ETR3(SS)
02-02-11, 04:19 PM
Should have figured you'd beat me to it, in regard to DC.:D

The collision didn't look that violent, and the damage to ship wasn't immediately fatal - they were able to make it to the pier. I mean, given the mass of the two ships - the Indian vessel was so much smaller than the merchie - the fact that it wasn't just plumb run over gives some indication of the nature of the impact. At first glance, it sure looks to me like the DC party got it pier side and quit for the day.Ah well DC is bludgeoned into you until you can do it in your sleep on a sub. :D

I agree with your assessment of the collision. The San Fran was at depth doing flank when it hit a sea mount, managed to emergency surface the boat, and proceed home under her own power! Reading the Wiki article about it ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vindhyagiri_%28F42%29 ) they had a fire that took 15 hours to get under control and that the ship sank as a result of fire damage. This really baffles the mind and raises more questions then answers. What caught fire that it could burn for 15 hours uncontrolled? What could burn for 15 hours that would result in flooding?

Growler
02-02-11, 05:58 PM
Ah well DC is bludgeoned into you until you can do it in your sleep on a sub. :D

I agree with your assessment of the collision. The San Fran was at depth doing flank when it hit a sea mount, managed to emergency surface the boat, and proceed home under her own power! Reading the Wiki article about it ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vindhyagiri_%28F42%29 ) they had a fire that took 15 hours to get under control and that the ship sank as a result of fire damage. This really baffles the mind and raises more questions then answers. What caught fire that it could burn for 15 hours uncontrolled? What could burn for 15 hours that would result in flooding?

Or... did someone forget that one end of the pump goes outside the boat?

The San Francisco story always made me sad - they seemed to try everything to get their critically injured shipmate (MM2c Ashley) off the boat, and it just wasn't enough (I got this out of an issue of Undersea Warfare, but I'll be damned if I can find it now). That must've rocked that crew pretty hard, especially in light of the disciplinary actions that followed.

And while I understand the Navy taking a dim view of seamanship accidents, the skipper of that boat deserved more credit than I think he got, CDR Mooney used issue charts, and, unlike surface ships who could reasonable be expected to see "areas of discolored water," it's not like you're gonna run a nuc on the surface at flank speed.

Skybird
02-02-11, 06:35 PM
"Alaaaaaaaarm...!!! Deutscher Handelsstörer voraus!!!"

Germany strikes back - this must be revenge for the Enercon conspiracy the Indians direct at Germany currently (and other Western HighTech companies).

ETR3(SS)
02-02-11, 06:43 PM
Or... did someone forget that one end of the pump goes outside the boat?

The San Francisco story always made me sad - they seemed to try everything to get their critically injured shipmate (MM2c Ashley) off the boat, and it just wasn't enough (I got this out of an issue of Undersea Warfare, but I'll be damned if I can find it now). That must've rocked that crew pretty hard, especially in light of the disciplinary actions that followed.

And while I understand the Navy taking a dim view of seamanship accidents, the skipper of that boat deserved more credit than I think he got, CDR Mooney used issue charts, and, unlike surface ships who could reasonable be expected to see "areas of discolored water," it's not like you're gonna run a nuc on the surface at flank speed. We were underway when we got the news of what happened to the San Fran. Needless to say we were all shocked when we heard how bad it was, and relieved when they made it to port. We pulled into PH a little later and I got a chance to call home and everyone at home breathed a sigh of relief that I was ok. I was reading a post here today that has the DOOW's account of what happened, here it is. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1055088&postcount=140

Platapus
02-02-11, 06:50 PM
Given that I am a lubber of land.

But if I see two big boats that close together, Wouldn't I get my third boat (naval vessel) out of the area?

It almost looked like the naval vessel kept on its original course. Naval Hubris?

Once the cargo ship is on the collision course, it is kinda too late.

What a tragic accident. Glad no one was killed.