PDA

View Full Version : Now thats a waste: Oceana planes in Super Bowl flyover

Matador.es
01-28-11, 07:42 AM
Oceana planes in Super Bowl flyover
http://media2.wavy.com//photo/2009/01/28/oceana_seal_20090128162817_320_240.JPG (http://www.wavy.com/dpp/military/Oceana-planes-in-Super-Bowl-flyover)

ETR3(SS)
01-28-11, 10:06 AM
How is it a waste? Also this is done all the time for many sporting events in the US.

Growler
01-28-11, 10:21 AM
How is it a waste? Also this is done all the time for many sporting events in the US.

Yeah, I don't get it, either. ...?

August
01-28-11, 10:26 AM
Good training for the air crews. It's a pretty good enlistment tool as well.

TLAM Strike
01-28-11, 10:41 AM
Good training for the air crews. It's a pretty good enlistment tool as well.

Exactly. :up:

They do this all the time, its almost standard procedure.

Edit: The planes at the Superbowl were probably already on CAP anyways lest we forget The Sum of All Fears...

mookiemookie
01-28-11, 10:48 AM
I would bet the cost of flying those planes over is a lot less than the cost of buying a 30 second commercial spot during the Superbowl.

Growler
01-28-11, 11:50 AM
I would bet the cost of flying those planes over is a lot less than the cost of buying a 30 second commercial spot during the Superbowl.

I'm not sure, but I think the cost of BUILDING those planes is probably less than a 30 second SuperBowl spot.

GoldenRivet
01-28-11, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure, but I think the cost of BUILDING those planes is probably less than a 30 second SuperBowl spot.

moot point as the planes were not purpose built for super bowl fly overs.;)

TLAM Strike
01-28-11, 12:00 PM

But they will get repeated use out of the plane. ;)

A Superbowl ad might get replayed for a few months (or not at all) while that plane will be in service for 30 years.

Herr-Berbunch
01-28-11, 12:07 PM
But they will get repeated use out of the plane. ;)

A Superbowl ad might get replayed for a few months (or not at all) while that plane will be in service for 30 years.

Unless it's an MRA4 :nope:

AVGWarhawk
01-28-11, 12:22 PM
You know what? I pay for that hardware and I want to see it in action! :yeah: I think it is cool to see the jets. It is special to the pilots and to the crowd. Let's look at it this way. I got the honor to be at the Armed Services Womens Memorial opening and dedication in Washington DC. It being a womens memorial women pilots flew over in Army helicopters to commemorate the day. It was just very cool for those attending and the women pilots who participated. Look at it this way, Russia has military parades. Missles on the street and fly overs. We get airshows and a few jets at the game. :DL

Takeda Shingen
01-28-11, 12:28 PM

I wouldn't be surprised; Superbowl ad time is crazy expensive.

TLAM Strike
01-28-11, 12:35 PM
Unless it's an MRA4 :nope:

Was the new Nimrod even accepted in to service? I thought it was just a prototype aircraft. :hmmm:

Stupid to just break her up, they should keep here in a hanger just in case something changes or to have an aircraft to look at when/if they build a successor to the Nimrod.

No worries the US will soon have some surplus P-3 Orions for sale, you folks over the pond can buy those. ;)

The Japanese might have some surplus Orions as well as their Kawasaki P-1 seem to be coming along nicely.

breadcatcher101
01-28-11, 01:18 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this.

Who knows? Maybe the attack at Pearl Harbor was simply meant to be a flyover to impress us with their military and some crazed gung ho pilot just lost it and dropped his bomb.

Some hate the military so much they resent seeing a flyover, but to me it is a good thing, not to mention as this has already been posted good training for those involved and an event they will recall late in their lives as an honorable one.

breadcatcher101
01-28-11, 01:18 PM
Hey, I got a new cap!!

Gargamel
01-28-11, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I don't see how it's a waste. It's pretty much standard faire in the US to have Military flyovers (or HALO jumper landings) at major sporting events. I wouldn't be surprised if the....

Oh... I get it....

It's in a dome this year.....(Superdome right?)

Yeah.... Might be a bit of a waste.... :hmmm:

Cheaper to go VROOOOOOOM over the loudspeakers.

breadcatcher101
01-29-11, 02:29 AM
Well if it's a dome use tanks instead!

Still good experience for the crews, dodging around all those cheerleaders and all.

Matador.es
01-29-11, 03:55 AM
Euhm, i guess its time to face fact and reconsider my point of view. Never thought of the PR result.

here ya see the vallue of a community :yeah:

I wounder where the cultural differance comes from. In Holland its not common to do these kind of things. I guess the last time we had a fly by was missing person formation at the funaral of Prins Bernhard, yes, not kidding!

2004: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID1n-fDxSb0

Guess it will be more or less the same in Germany.

UnderseaLcpl
01-29-11, 03:58 AM

I bet those commercial spots generate a lot more beneficial economic activity in a few weeks than those planes do over their entire service life. Also, the commercials are funnier.

Well if it's a dome use tanks instead!

Still good experience for the crews, dodging around all those cheerleaders and all.

I would never send tanks against so many well-emplaced bazookas.

Gargamel
01-29-11, 04:41 AM
I was going to say, it's very very common to do one of these at each major sporting event, and I bet the ones with air stations nearby have them for every NFL game, maybe even some MLB games.

But if it's going to be in a dome.... :06: