PDA

View Full Version : Deck gun pitch black zero visibility shelling service

commandosolo2009
01-19-11, 04:04 AM
Hello skippers,

Just as its important to train your crew in extreme conditions, its important to learn yourself, the workaround too in those pickle situations...

On my 9th patrol, in China Sea, Northeast of Taipei, East of Formosa strait, I picked up a radar contact. Weather was terrible for a torpedo attack. Pitch black darkness, zero visibility, overcast clouds, heavy rains, a strong 16 mps wind, and yet, we managed to wreak havoc upon a MCF, from a distance of 2 km...

Watch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcSzupI1yLA)

I think both DG crews will earn promotions as soon as we reach Pearl. One thing though, the stupid game promoted one of my Petty officers rk7 to rk 8 with same ability of another skipper onboard. Now I got 2 deck watch ability crews, and I'm seriously thinking about giving him the check. I mean sometime earlier, he had another ability, and I saved, quit, then rebooted and loaded the game, now he's the same as the other guy. Any ideas on how to manually configure the guy for another ability, since the game, in all its wits, fails to realise so.

Are there any mods that tweak torpedo textures into black/gold tip, even change torpedo colors on torpedo management menu?

And is there anyway I know when I'm getting the improved electric eel? its Feb 1943, and I wonder when?

Also, is there a mod for the description of each torpedo? I remember I had SH3 and on moving cursor over eel, I read warhead, reasons it was developed, etc.. general info...

Thanks guys

Moonlight
01-19-11, 09:22 AM
I use this little mod for the torpedoes and equipment.

Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal Mod
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/8951034277

WernherVonTrapp
01-19-11, 11:47 AM
Are there any mods that tweak torpedo textures into black/gold tip, even change torpedo colors on torpedo management menu?

And is there anyway I know when I'm getting the improved electric eel? its Feb 1943, and I wonder when?

Also, is there a mod for the description of each torpedo? I remember I had SH3 and on moving cursor over eel, I read warhead, reasons it was developed, etc.. general info...

Thanks guysI know there is a mod for Colored Torpedoes in the DL section, though I don't think it turns them blk/gld. Also, I'm not in-game right now (so I'm not certain) but, I think TMO 2.0 (or maybe it's RSRDC) has my torpedo bodies black. The warheads are either copper or gold. As far as descriptions go (not sure if this is what you mean), just click on any torp in the management section and a description of it will appear in the box below. Same thing at Home Port.

Armistead
01-19-11, 11:54 AM
Shooting the deckgun using only radar or sonar has been a tactic used by many for years. I like to get in close though, 1000 yards. Once you have a ship on fire, really easy to see and often they will cut search lights on after one hit, again making them easy to see.

Doe's get a little dangerous with mods like TMO, when the enemy has radar, don't pay attention a DD will run right up your baffle, so helps to make small turns to clear baffles and follow nearest warship on sonar and do radar checks so often.

Really fun getting in the middle of a 40 ship convoy and letting lose with torps and the DG...

commandosolo2009
01-19-11, 12:14 PM
As far as descriptions go (not sure if this is what you mean), just click on any torp in the management section and a description of it will appear in the box below. Same thing at Home Port.

I only get the speed, range, and propulsion. No notes like G7e german introduced to counter faulty depth keeping magnetic blah blah blah.... Or is it not for allied boats? BTW just got my Balao. Taking her out for shakedown. BRB

Armistead
01-19-11, 02:09 PM
The US Dept. of Ordinance wouldn't admit to any failures, so no info was given. Sub Skippers had to figure it out for themselves, but the game does account for torp failures. Simply, it has values for failure rates, including speed or torp, angle, depth, ect...You will have more success with M14's if you shoot slower speeds, angles, ect....

WernherVonTrapp
01-19-11, 03:11 PM
I only get the speed, range, and propulsion. No notes like G7e german introduced to counter faulty depth keeping magnetic blah blah blah.... Or is it not for allied boats? BTW just got my Balao. Taking her out for shakedown. BRBYou'll get the more in-depth info at Home Port.

commandosolo2009
01-19-11, 06:25 PM
You'll get the more in-depth info at Home Port.

Actually the desk mod mentioned here by Moonlight did the trick. It also describes DG, sonar, radar, etc....

I just finished shakedown of my boat, a brand new USS Balao, a Balao class boat. She's the best in my opinion. After a bit of metal squeaking at 164 meters, she still had her hull intact. I removed all the Mark 14s and replaced them with Mark 28 eels. Its so much better, and no duds encountered so far, maybe because one of my boys got the eel ability, so he exponentiates damage and range, and still the eel is somewhat accurate. I got 2 LOPCs using solely, the Mark 28. I will upload the vid along with another dead on encounter with an unsuspecting merchant, whom I went head on to his path, got underhim, the blew ballast and let my aft DG do its magic, the poor guy didnt know what hit him..

The US Dept. of Ordinance wouldn't admit to any failures, so no info was given. Sub Skippers had to figure it out for themselves, but the game does account for torp failures. Simply, it has values for failure rates, including speed or torp, angle, depth, ect...You will have more success with M14's if you shoot slower speeds, angles, ect....

Isnt that the acclaimed BuOrd? And I wonder why they would do this to folks going out with contemporary,at-the-time expensive boats? Someone obviously works for ze Japanese :D

Shooting the deckgun using only radar or sonar has been a tactic used by many for years. I like to get in close though, 1000 yards. Once you have a ship on fire, really easy to see and often they will cut search lights on after one hit, again making them easy to see.

Doe's get a little dangerous with mods like TMO, when the enemy has radar, don't pay attention a DD will run right up your baffle, so helps to make small turns to clear baffles and follow nearest warship on sonar and do radar checks so often.

Really fun getting in the middle of a 40 ship convoy and letting lose with torps and the DG...

I cant wind up in the middle of 40 ships and not expect a swift CTD by my less reliable system. I'm currently collecting the crumbs off Formosa, Solomons, and Honiara... I'm also after task forces with the aim of getting the last piece of the puzzle - the Navy Cross.

I use this little mod for the torpedoes and equipment.

Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal Mod
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/8951034277

Thanks dude!

Ducimus
01-19-11, 11:01 PM
I know there is a mod for Colored Torpedoes in the DL section, though I don't think it turns them blk/gld. Also, I'm not in-game right now (so I'm not certain) but, I think TMO 2.0 (or maybe it's RSRDC) has my torpedo bodies black. The warheads are either copper or gold.

Can see those fish on the fly here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2VpKJFVdmA
(and yeah i realize the submerged water color is off for dawn/dusk)

RFB uses the same torpedo mod i think. It's a "US torpedo overhaul for TMO" by Captain America if memory serves me correctly.

As an aside, I'm amazed anyone plays vanilla SH4. Personally, i can't stand vanilla. Everything is wrong with vanilla!

WernherVonTrapp
01-20-11, 07:23 AM
Can see those fish on the fly here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2VpKJFVdmA
(and yeah i realize the submerged water color is off for dawn/dusk)

RFB uses the same torpedo mod i think. It's a "US torpedo overhaul for TMO" by Captain America if memory serves me correctly.

As an aside, I'm amazed anyone plays vanilla SH4. Personally, i can't stand vanilla. Everything is wrong with vanilla!http://www.smileys4me.com/getsmiley.php?show=2292 That, is a very cool video.:up: I'm a big fan of The Ink Spots and love the way their song is used when the Pirgos surfaces. I also like the view of those torpedo tubes opening before she fires on that TF. Very tastefully done video.
Oh yeah, those are the same torps alright.:salute:

Ducimus
01-20-11, 05:03 PM
Truthfully, i love that video. It gives me the biggest sense of satisfaction with TMO. Although the submerged water color being off in low light conditions bugs me. (but that's on me) If i had a youtube account id comment with a huge "thank you" to the movie maker.

Rockin Robbins
01-20-11, 06:02 PM
That's the best Trigger Maru Overhauled commercial I've ever seen! If you can watch that and NOT want to play SH4 then you have no blood in your veins.:up:

WernherVonTrapp
01-20-11, 06:32 PM
Truthfully, i love that video. It gives me the biggest sense of satisfaction with TMO. Although the submerged water color being off in low light conditions bugs me. (but that's on me) If i had a youtube account id comment with a huge "thank you" to the movie maker.
To be perfectly honesthttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-ashamed005.gif, I don't think the video would've looked the same w/o TMO. I'm halfway through a full career and TMO is quickly becoming my favorite mod. The graphics alone (incredible) are enough to multiply the immersion effects to the point that I come out of a game covered in saltwater.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char096.gif Great video though. I wasn't aware of this guy until you posted the link. He sure knows how to use music and text to great effect.

commandosolo2009
01-20-11, 07:27 PM
Hello Boatswainmates!!

I wonder why, after such short notice transfer to a Balao, I cant transfer back to Pearl. It seems as if Lockwood is dead pissed because of me. Is there a way to enable base transfers? A 5000+ km hump all the way to Perth, from Brisbane is not my cup of tea. And if anyone knows how to increase the number of Senior Master Chief beyond the game cap, or the Petty Officers, since rookies cant loose their dipers... Takes too long for things to get going, and we're coming up fast on 1944 and its still not shaped as I hoped to see.

Ideas appreciated fellas..

Ducimus
01-20-11, 08:56 PM
I wonder why, after such short notice transfer to a Balao, I cant transfer back to Pearl.

What year is it for you? If i recall correctly, one of the reasons people get some really weird transfers is due to boat availability for whatever base. Say for example your in a sargo out of fremantle , your kicking ass in early or mid 42, and get offered a new command which turns out to be a gato.

Now, speaking in terms of the flotilla's: If fremantle does not have gato missions available for it yet, and pearl does. Guess what? You're transported to pearl. The game won't let you transfer any base where missions for your boat type are not available.

TorpX
01-20-11, 09:23 PM

That was a great video. If he comes out with a feature length sequel, I'll want to pop some popcorn and make a night of it. :up:

Armistead
01-20-11, 09:39 PM
Hello Boatswainmates!!

I wonder why, after such short notice transfer to a Balao, I cant transfer back to Pearl. It seems as if Lockwood is dead pissed because of me. Is there a way to enable base transfers? A 5000+ km hump all the way to Perth, from Brisbane is not my cup of tea. And if anyone knows how to increase the number of Senior Master Chief beyond the game cap, or the Petty Officers, since rookies cant loose their dipers... Takes too long for things to get going, and we're coming up fast on 1944 and its still not shaped as I hoped to see.

Ideas appreciated fellas..

Sadly, you have to deal with some crap stock issues. Mod's do give you other bases, but for the most part you either refuse new boats to stay in the area or your headed back to Pearl...In reality, you'd probably be headed back to the states. It seems TMO nerfs Pearl early, using Midway, but can't recall. In time the other bases get boats, seems I refuse a new one twice before it becomes available in Fremantle, not sure about stock.
Crew, stock issue, not sure of a stand alone mod for it.

I finally got a Tench late 44, usually if I even get it at all it's spring of 45.
Duel 5/25 deckguns and duel 40's the sub is a surface raider...
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/SH4Img2011-01-20_032435_551.jpg

commandosolo2009
01-21-11, 04:31 AM
Sadly, you have to deal with some crap stock issues. Mod's do give you other bases, but for the most part you either refuse new boats to stay in the area or your headed back to Pearl...In reality, you'd probably be headed back to the states. It seems TMO nerfs Pearl early, using Midway, but can't recall. In time the other bases get boats, seems I refuse a new one twice before it becomes available in Fremantle, not sure about stock.
Crew, stock issue, not sure of a stand alone mod for it.

I finally got a Tench late 44, usually if I even get it at all it's spring of 45.
Duel 5/25 deckguns and duel 40's the sub is a surface raider...
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/SH4Img2011-01-20_032435_551.jpg

And a fine boat she is. Yes, it appears because I had a Gato and went for Balao, the base got changed to Perth. Funny thing is, when I started my first patrol in Balao, I started off Brisbane. Fortunately, I have a save before I accepted Balao, I'll boot it up and succumb to the inevitable. About the crew, well, I guess you cant get them all, ha...

What year is it for you? If i recall correctly, one of the reasons people get some really weird transfers is due to boat availability for whatever base. Say for example your in a sargo out of fremantle , your kicking ass in early or mid 42, and get offered a new command which turns out to be a gato.

Now, speaking in terms of the flotilla's: If fremantle does not have gato missions available for it yet, and pearl does. Guess what? You're transported to pearl. The game won't let you transfer any base where missions for your boat type are not available.

Thanks dude! Noted!