PDA

View Full Version : Totally ne and have no clue how to play.... PLEASE HELP!

Akula20342
01-01-11, 02:15 PM
Hi guys,

First of all if you're reading this thanks for taking the time. Secondly, I'm really trying to figure all this stuff out on my own but I come from a long line of flight sim and fps shooters (the battlefield series being my most favorite) so I really know nothing about sub sims or how to navigate in any of them.

Right now as I type this on my iPhone I'm patrolling the British coast just off Grimsby and I'm not finding any ships whatsoever. Also, I'm reading the manual and I don't know if I'm missing something but it does not explain how to do ANYTHING. all it says about steering the ship is that as captain it's my responsibility to do it... WHAT??? To make a long story short all I'm looking for is information on the PRECISE procedures on how to play this game (precise as in "press this button to do this" or "click here to get this"

it's very frustrating to buy a game only to find out there is no REAL documentation on how to play it properly. Maybe I'm a total noob idiot but I feel I've done as much as I can on my end and I'm hoping someone can direct me to a proper website that can show me how to:

Set a search pattern
Find enemy ships and stalk them properly so I can get within attack range
target enemy ships so the torpedoes TRACK PROPERLY!!!
Steer the ship easily instead of having to go to the nav map and always plot a heading

I hope someone can help this full on noob

Cheers and thanks. :)

TheDarkWraith
01-01-11, 02:28 PM
you need a UIs mod. Period. Stock UI is crap. There are currently two available: mine and Reaper7's

Mine has a tutorial feature that can teach you how to use the game. Some people have even written other tutorials for how to do torpedo attacks and such.

Which UI you choose is up to you :up:

Gerald
01-01-11, 02:36 PM
:salute: and good luck!

Akula20342
01-01-11, 02:37 PM
Hi TheDarkWraith (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=254741) and thanks for the reply,

Can you tell me where I can get the tool to install the mod? as well as the mod itself?

Thanks

ReallyDedPoet
01-01-11, 02:43 PM
Welcome to SUBSIM :up:

Check out the SH5 Mods Forum: Here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)

You need JSGME ( Mod Enabler ), the thread for it is there, plus a thread on how to use it. Also there is a thread there for DW's Mod.

Captain Can
01-01-11, 03:25 PM
Akula welcome to subsim! :salute:

Here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//showthread.php?t=178048) is a good thread about mods and how to start with explanations.

ReallyDedPoet
01-01-11, 03:29 PM
Here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//showthread.php?t=178048) is a good thread about mods and how to start with explanations.

Nice :up:

Shockwave74
01-02-11, 01:02 AM
Search for SH5 TDC on youtube and you'll see plenty of vids. Point is Ubisoft thought all of the players came from other games of the line (I come from SH3 for example so nothing really new to learn it's just about interfaces).

Luckily you can use the forums to ask around. this is a very serious and active community so... feel free to ask. :yeah:

Akula20342
01-02-11, 11:35 AM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the tips and keep them coming! Last night I successfully sunk 7 ships to complete my first mission. I even returned ti Kiel to refit. Question, do I have to go back to port to refit and restock on torps or do I have to do something in particular or be somewhere in order to have my radio request for supplies approved. Also, I'm finding that the deck gun is pretty weak so is there a particular spot where I can hit a merchant vessel and sink it with only a few shots as opposed to the 20 or so shots I need to sink them??? As for torpedoes, is there a sweet spot on the ships where one torpedo can sink them?

Thanks. :)

Shockwave74
01-02-11, 12:35 PM
No idea on the supply request. I am stuck at the second mission on western approach and waiting for some patch or mod to solve an issued with radioman contacts so, basically, I haven't played for a month already.

The deck gun was historically very weak, as opposed to the realistically modded gun of SH3 I find this overpowered. However, after disabling the command deck, your shortest route for sinking a merchant is hitting the waterline.

Historically, torpedoes correctly set for magnetic detonation would cause a catastrophic explosion below the keel. Make sure to set the magnetic detonation 1 or 1,5mt below the keel line. This means you have got to positively identify the exact tgt type and be advised the first torpedoes had problems with the magnetic detonator depending on weather and magnetic areas of the planet. The depth is also a matter of skill as rough sea affects the magnetic detonation as well (the depth is different).

I remember in SH3 we had a waterline mod to simulate the different load of a ship and that heavily affected both the stadimeter AND the correct magnetic depth setting.

In the end, experience does the job. Try and keep trying. :DL