PDA

View Full Version : Steam sale

BGrey
12-23-10, 04:21 PM
All the silent hunter games are on sale on steam today (sh 5 is $10)

I loved sh4 but cant say I have heard anything good about sh5, is it worth it?

mookiemookie
12-23-10, 04:26 PM
That same question has been asked here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177930

here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177514

here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=176116

and here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=175710

GoldenRivet
12-23-10, 05:43 PM
and about 134 other places as well

short answer is

"No its terrible" or "its awesome" 50/50 split

long answer is

"with mods... it goes from terrible to meh"

Ilpalazzo
12-23-10, 06:00 PM
I might get this for ten usd on steam, but I have a quick question if somebody can please answer (one day deal i think). Does SH5 still do that thing where it only works if you are connected to their servers? I was without internet for 3 weeks and there were some games I couldn't play. Pissed me off.

voss
12-23-10, 06:04 PM
I might get this for ten usd on steam, but I have a quick question if somebody can please answer (one day deal i think). Does SH5 still do that thing where it only works if you are connected to their servers? I was without internet for 3 weeks and there were some games I couldn't play. Pissed me off.
Yup. :cry:

Webster
12-23-10, 06:18 PM
yep, and it was going for $7 at gogamer.com

Ilpalazzo
12-23-10, 06:23 PM
ah forget it. Thanks for letting me know.

Harmsway!
12-23-10, 10:41 PM
If you have a weak internet connection don't buy this game. On the other hand if your connection is good you will forget you even need it. It is part of the boot process but its quick and painless through auto-logon. The starforce protection that SH3 had at first was a much bigger pain.

Without breaking tradition UBISOFT release yet another Silent Hunter without any legs. A lame game that is crippled out of the box. With mods just like SH3 & SH4 the sim itself is fantastic. Defentitly worth buying.

A lot of old timers are put off that SH5 changes the way you play the game. The new HUD is completely unfamiliar to SH users and lacking many needed functions. "Why take a great sim like SH3 and change it?" they say. "Why not just update the graphics?".

I couldn't disagree more. I love the new look and feel. But people don't like change. In my mind SH5 is a major leap forward in sub simulation. Years ago we even discussed in this forum how the HUD was killing immersion. With SH5 you can now play without the HUD. I do this as much as possible. It's wonderful. In many ways SH5 is what I used to dream about during the SH2 days.

Yes without the mods its nothing. With the mods its everything. SH5 modding is in its infancy but greatness is coming.

Gerald
12-23-10, 10:51 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=178228 :D

Sailor Steve
12-23-10, 11:44 PM
Why does everybody keep crowing about Steam when you can get it for less than half that ($4.45) through Amazon? Not only will you have it on disc, but if you order it through the link here you'll help out Subsim as well?

And no, I'm still not giving them my money until the DRM is totally removed. :O:

skookum
12-24-10, 12:58 AM

short answer is

long answer is

I like how your "long" answer is shorter than the "short" answer.:yeah:

Harmsway!
12-24-10, 08:15 AM
Why does everybody keep crowing about Steam when you can get it for less than half that ($4.45) through Amazon? Not only will you have it on disc, but if you order it through the link here you'll help out Subsim as well?

And no, I'm still not giving them my money until the DRM is totally removed. :O:

Steam is great when you have a well support game with updates. Not the case at all with SH5. I don't know if with Steam you are forced to log onto both Steam and ubisoft. Two ways to fail connection.

I did take advantage of the Steam discount though and got some DLC for RailWorks2.

Sailor Steve
12-24-10, 12:34 PM
Steam is great when you have a well support game with updates. Not the case at all with SH5. I don't know if with Steam you are forced to log onto both Steam and ubisoft. Two ways to fail connection.

I did take advantage of the Steam discount though and got some DLC for RailWorks2.
I will admit that I'm biased. When I tried to download the UBM add-on for SH4 several years ago, Steam told me I couldn't because I wasn't in the United States.

I live in Utah. :rotfl2::dead:

DomBray
12-24-10, 04:54 PM

short answer is

long answer is

Ok so I bought this as I love the atlantic theatre and never got into SH4 like I did SH3!

So which mods do I need to make it fun? I don't need it too realistic!

Just fun!

Also it seems they've droped the picking crew members? or have I missed something?

Captain_AJ
12-24-10, 10:13 PM
I am Not a big fan of sh5 . I had it on my computer for only one month and than removed it .. I do like sh3 and sh4 , Sh3 with gwx mod that came out a few years ago was awesome . especally the splash screen and the music that was being played . sometimes I would fall asleep to that music in my head .. I would be willing to trade Sh5 for a copy of sh3 in good condition , I only unwrapped and did one install of sh5 , than put it back in the sleeve , It sits there collecting dust now . So if any of you captains are curious about having a copy of SH5 . Would you consider a straight trade ? email me kimura_244sentai@yahoo.com we can make arrangements . My copy of sh3 was stolen last year when my house was broken into .

thanks