PDA

View Full Version : 23% are too dumb to join the US military

Ducimus
12-21-10, 08:36 PM
http://www.app.com/article/20101221/NEWS06/101221063/-23-percent-can-t-pass-military-exam-

According to that article anyway.

TLAM Strike
12-21-10, 08:44 PM
I told the recruiter that I would only enlist on the condition I be made Chairman of the Joint Chiefs on day one... he told me to leave... :-?

nikimcbee
12-21-10, 08:45 PM
http://www.app.com/article/20101221/NEWS06/101221063/-23-percent-can-t-pass-military-exam-

According to that article anyway.

I'd believe that.:o I worked with a guy that took, and failed the entrance test for the marines...four times:o.

Sailor Steve
12-21-10, 09:17 PM
Back when I was enlistment age you passed the test for the Navy or Air Force, or the Army took you by force.

TFatseas
12-21-10, 11:37 PM
Meh, I took the ASVAB earlier this year and scored a 70. Not that hard really, basic high school stuff I thought.

Now I wait to go to Ft Knox this March for BCT...

That's where the hard stuff is.

GoldenRivet
12-21-10, 11:59 PM
in other news

Nearly 80% of Americans smart enough for military service.:smug:

bookworm_020
12-22-10, 12:56 AM
Well they qualify for jobs in medical testing, so it's not all bad news.......:D

FIREWALL
12-22-10, 04:04 AM
Well they qualify for jobs in medical testing, so it's not all bad news.......:D

:har::haha::haha::haha::har:

Armistead
12-22-10, 08:12 AM
Add in the numbers of those that don't physically qualify, it goe's way up. Some polls show another 40% wouldn't physically qualify today, only to get worse later.

Anyone that has children in school can see teachers no longer teach subjects, they teach kids how to pass test.

FIREWALL
12-22-10, 08:18 AM

If this thread runs long enough you'll see 20% here, aren't bright enough to get the joke you said. :haha:

krashkart
12-22-10, 09:08 AM

If this thread runs long enough you'll see 20% here, aren't bright enough to get the joke you said. :haha:

Uh, what are you guys talking about? :06:

:03:

23% doesn't seem like a very big number. That's far lower than the percentage of sleepy, unresponsive high school grads in some of the college courses I took. :-?

Takeda Shingen
12-22-10, 09:46 AM
Based on what I see at work, I'd say that the figure is pretty accurate, even for the whole society. I would guess that about a fifth of the students that I see in class can't really handle the college workload either. A lot of them end up dropping out after the semester is over. For them, college was a short, albeit expensive detour in life.

Onkel Neal
12-22-10, 10:33 AM
Too dumb? Or just too uneducated? There is a difference.

razark
12-22-10, 10:45 AM
Ignorance is correctable, stupid is forever.

the_tyrant
12-22-10, 10:46 AM
Based on what I see at work, I'd say that the figure is pretty accurate, even for the whole society. I would guess that about a fifth of the students that I see in class can't really handle the college workload either. A lot of them end up dropping out after the semester is over. For them, college was a short, albeit expensive detour in life.

I suppose your talking about a difficult subject?
My friends say that some subjects just take effort, while others need intelligence.

The report by The Education Trust found that 23 percent of recent high school graduates don't get the minimum score needed on the enlistment test to join any branch of the military.

23 percent can't even be a grunt in the army?
how did they graduate from high school?

Takeda Shingen
12-22-10, 10:54 AM
I suppose your talking about a difficult subject?
My friends say that some subjects just take effort, while others need intelligence.

I am a professor of music, but I also serve as an academic advisor for a segment of the student body. When students have academic problems, especially first-year students, those problems tend to be across the board. Overall, I find it to be a combination of a lack of aptitude and an inabilty to adjust to the college environment, where no one is going to bother you over your homework, make sure you get to bed at a reasonable hour, make you get up and go to class and pay attention once you get there. Most students who end up dropping out tell me that they had no idea that college would be this hard. I tell them that college isn't all that hard. What is difficult is transition to being fully self-disciplined; having to manage one's own affairs without someone else chasing them around over it.

Much of the problem is that so much of what you are able to do later in life depends on what you have done in your youth, and youths are notoriously short-sighted.

Gerald
12-22-10, 10:59 AM
I am a professor of music, but I also serve as an academic advisor for a segment of the student body. When students have academic problems, especially first-year students, those problems tend to be across the board. Overall, I find it to be a combination of a lack of aptitude and an inabilty to adjust to the college environment, where no one is going to bother you over your homework, make sure you get to bed at a reasonable hour, make you get up and go to class and pay attention once you get there. Most students who end up dropping out tell me that they had no idea that college would be this hard. I tell them that college isn't all that hard. What is difficult is transition to being fully self-disciplined; having to manage one's own affairs without someone else chasing them around over it.

Much of the problem is that so much of what you are able to do later in life depends on what you have done in your youth, and youths are notoriously short-sighted. I am a professor of music,that explains it that you do not like Frankie boy, which is certainly not in this thread, excuse infringement!

Growler
12-22-10, 11:06 AM
Meh, I took the ASVAB earlier this year and scored a 70. Not that hard really, basic high school stuff I thought.

Now I wait to go to Ft Knox this March for BCT...

That's where the hard stuff is.

Give my regards to the 5/15 Cav... and to Misery & Agony.:o

Penguin
12-22-10, 11:09 AM
in other news

Nearly 80% of Americans smart enough for military service.:smug:

Sorry mate, it's just the other way:

75 percent of those aged 17 to 24 don't qualify for the military because they are physically unfit, have a criminal record or didn't graduate high school.

so 23% of the 25% of the persons who would qualify fail the test, this makes a total of about 80% who are uneligible. :o

For comparision: in Germany every 2nd guy fails the pre-draft exam, mostly for physical reasons, however more than half of these who are eligible chose civil service and others are judged unfit after the first exam.

GoldenRivet
12-22-10, 11:24 AM
I said smart enough... i didnt mention physical fitness.

I doubt if i would meet the physical fitness reqs, simply because of the dormancy that married life has pulled me into.

I used to be extremely physically fit.

give me 60-90 days and i'll be able to breeze past most guys in their early 20s.

though at the moment, I'll take my coffee with 2 creams and 2 sugars, and I'll have a heaping serving of scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast... for i have no reason or desire to do return to physical fitness of that level.:D

Task Force
12-22-10, 11:42 AM
Add in the numbers of those that don't physically qualify, it goe's way up. Some polls show another 40% wouldn't physically qualify today, only to get worse later.

Anyone that has children in school can see teachers no longer teach subjects, they teach kids how to pass test.

Yes, I do see this, they have the lessons to go along with tests.

(and most of the kids are not so bright ither.)

Penguin
12-22-10, 11:51 AM
I said smart enough... i didnt mention physical fitness.

yep, I saw that you mentioned smart, well we can argue if not getting your HS exam could be called a smart choice :03:

I doubt if i would meet the physical fitness reqs, simply because of the dormancy that married life has pulled me into.

I used to be extremely physically fit.

give me 60-90 days and i'll be able to breeze past most guys in their early 20s.

though at the moment, I'll take my coffee with 2 creams and 2 sugars, and I'll have a heaping serving of scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast... for i have no reason or desire to do return to physical fitness of that level.:D

lol, that's what I also always tell to my girlfriend! :D

A question: Does the military also consider minor, juvenile offences as a "criminal record"? Because here the Bundeswehr only doen't want you if you have committed major crimes, juvie crimes are not recognized in most cases.

GoldenRivet
12-22-10, 12:07 PM
I have always maintained that you cannot measure a man's intelligence by the number of degrees, plaques, and diplomas he has hanging on the wall near his desk.

You measure a man's intelligence based upon the things he says, the things he does not say, and the things he does and does not do.

it is not the responsibility of teachers, alone, to teach the young... it is the responsibility of all of us elders to mentor them, that is where the true learning is found; it is found when the older men impart their wisdom on the younger, and they do it genuinely and with an honest desire to mold the youth into something more intelligent and observant of the world around them.

Unfortunately, this true learning and teaching is something you see little of these days.

TLAM Strike
12-22-10, 12:08 PM
A question: Does the military also consider minor, juvenile offences as a "criminal record"? Because here the Bundeswehr only doen't want you if you have committed major crimes, juvie crimes are not recognized in most cases.

Stupid kids stuff is mostly ignored. More serious stuff you can get a waver for to some extent.

Penguin
12-22-10, 12:24 PM
I never would be so arrogant and call someone without a formal education dumb, hence my words "smart choice". It obviously not a smart choice not getting your hs diploma if you plan to work in a field which requires it.
Many adolescents here realize it too late when they plan to work in well paid jobs and wonder that nobody takes them when they can't do basic math or even spell....

tlam, thanks for your answer, this explains why i met so many pot smokers who are/were in the forces :DL

Sailor Steve
12-22-10, 01:27 PM

Do they teach spelling and grammar? Are those requirements for enlistment?

MaddogK
12-22-10, 02:31 PM
I never would be so arrogant and call someone without a formal education dumb, hence my words "smart choice". It obviously not a smart choice not getting your hs diploma if you plan to work in a field which requires it.
Many adolescents here realize it too late when they plan to work in well paid jobs and wonder that nobody takes them when they can't do basic math or even spell....

tlam, thanks for your answer, this explains why i met so many pot smokers who are/were in the forces :DL

There is a difference between educated and intelligent.
I know a couple of people who are highly educated but as dumb as a box of rocks, others can be so bored by the education system not challenging their intelligence that they drop out of school.

TLAM Strike
12-22-10, 02:44 PM
There is a difference between educated and intelligent.
I know a couple of people who are highly educated but as dumb as a box of rocks, others can be so bored by the education system not challenging their intelligence that they drop out of school.

Exactly.

I barely studied in school and passed all my classes easily. The stuff they were teaching was really easy to me.

Ducimus
12-22-10, 03:51 PM

Neal, if one can't pass the ASVAB to join even the army.. they REALLY are dumb. The ASVAB is really NOT that hard.

edit: I don't remember what my overall score was on the ASVAB ('twas years ago when i took it), but i do remember i scored a 95 in mechanical. Air force recruiter had me on the phone within two days of taking the test saying he was impressed with my scores. :haha: (and to think i was originally going to join the Army before that AF recruiter got a hold of me. :shifty: )

FIREWALL
12-22-10, 03:52 PM
One thing about an education. Nobody can take that away from you. NOBODY !!!

Takeda Shingen
12-22-10, 04:06 PM
I am a professor of music,that explains it that you do not like Frankie boy, which is certainly not in this thread, excuse infringement!

:haha:

Yeah. Still, a there are a bunch of people in my department that love Frankie.

I have always maintained that you cannot measure a man's intelligence by the number of degrees, plaques, and diplomas he has hanging on the wall near his desk.

This is absolutely true. I remember having a conversation with another member in which my doctorate came up. I told the person that the letters Ph.D do not grant me special powers. They are a reflection of the effort and dilligence that I had to adhere to in order to receive them, but I remain an utter buffoon.