PDA

View Full Version : Ready to try out SH IV

Bobbarry1951
12-18-10, 09:10 AM
I am a fan of Silent Hunter III. I recently loaded the game in my new computer and have been enjoying hours of stalking using the superb SH3 mod. I am interested in trying out Silent Hunter IV (SH IV) which is why I am posting in this forum.

My first concern is in reading the reviews, the game had serious bugs on it's original release. I know there have been a number of patches and my question would be: Were the bugs in the original release addressed to allow a level of game play comparable to Silent Hunter III?

I am aware there are a number of mods for SH IV, I just want to get a game that actually works.

I see there is a SH IV Gold edition available. There is apparently an expansion to the original game which includes U boats in the Indian Ocean, I believe. I already have a fine U boat simulation in SH III and really don't care about the U boat expansion. Is the Gold edition simply the patched version of the original game? The reason I ask is I see both games available on line and there is a reasonable price break between the two. I have no problem downloading and installing patches for the original if the end result is all I am missing is the U boat expansion.

No stores in my area have either game in stock. I did some looking around on line and found a wide variety of prices for the two games ranging from $10 to $50. I am inclined to toward a download of the original game. Being unsure of the forum policy on naming commercial sites, I will avoid same. If people have attempted this approach and it is permitted by the forum, any feedback on which site to use would be appreciated.

Running Windows 7 64 which I assume is not an obstacle.

One final tangential question: I am running SH III with no crew fatigue. Is that available in the mods for SH IV?

Thanks for your help.

Armistead
12-18-10, 09:20 AM
Get Silent Hunter Gold U boats as it's 1.5 and all the newer mods work off 1.5.
With mods it's a great game. Stock is bugged and unrealistic. SH3 was the same way.

Jan Kyster
12-18-10, 10:25 AM
Yes to Gold Edition - and a big no to download.

Make one clean, base install and copy that for each "major" mod install, like Operation Monsun, TMO, RFB, Japanese Campaign, FOTRS etc. etc.

The disc can be installed an unlimited number of times, no StarForce or other nasty stuff.
For the fun of it, just try a search in this forum for "steam" and enjoy... :D

Try amazon for a disc. Prices from $8 to ... $54? :doh:
I see there's a bunch for sale in Germany, €8-10 ~ $12

If you have troubles finding one or want me to find one, don't hesitate to pm me!

Happy Hunting! :salute:

Takao
12-18-10, 10:34 AM
I agree, get the gold edition, for all the reasons mention by other posters. While SHIII is tops for U-boats, it is nice to have the option to use U-boats, especially with the Operation Monsun mod.

You should be able to get a used copy fairly cheap.

Sailor Steve
12-18-10, 10:48 AM
Again, the Gold Edition. It comes fully patched to 1.5.

Also you'll find that the upgrades make for a better u-boat experience as well. While it hasn't been modded as far as SH3, SH4 has better graphics, a far better crew management system, some cool goodies like calling for Battle Stations - all these things improve the u-boat game as well as adding the American side of the war.

Bobbarry1951
12-19-10, 12:48 PM
Wow
Oh My Gosh
This is pretty good!

Thanks all for taking the time to respond to my original post. I listened to you and after a few phone calls found the Gold version sitting in a bargain bin. It was a long drive and nothing like a large US mall one week before Xmas. Bottom line, got it for $19.99. For those interested, Amazon was the place selling new for $50.

Loaded it up, runs fine on Windows 7 64. Still have to figure out a bunch of things but I will cruise the forums first. It was kinda nice to get the Congressional Medal of Honor on my first patrol :o. Off to my next patrol, thank you all again.

ETR3(SS)
12-19-10, 04:15 PM
It may be a little late to mention this but don't install SH4 to the Program Files folder. Doing so will cause you headaches down the road when you decide you want to play with some of the mods using JSGME. Creating a folder just for the games you play and installing them all there would be a wise idea. Mine install path for example is D:Games/Ubisoft.

Rip
12-19-10, 09:15 PM
Also, after you get the feel of it download and check out the dominate supermods TMO (Triiger maru Overhauled) and RFB (Real Fleet Boat). THEN after that check them out with the campaign layer mod RSRD (Run Silent, Run Deep) for each one. There is a special version for each RFB and TMO as well as stock!

Rip
:yeah:

Bobbarry1951
12-22-10, 08:07 PM
Thanks again. The program installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft which seems to be the place Windows 7 likes for many of the games made for prior versions of Windows. It's running fine.

I have been reading nice things about the mods, TMO (Triiger maru Overhauled) and RFB (Real Fleet Boat) and will have to find out what they do. I had not heard of the RSRD (Run Silent, Run Deep) mod but I only play campaigns so I will have to check that one out.

I am very impressed with the news updates after and during patrols, it adds a nice touch to the campaigns. Reading the forums is a great help.

I am still early in the war and have only hydrophones (and if I am reading a post correctly, you have to actively request sonar and radar using your prestige). I do have a question on the hydrophones. Tough to explain but here goes. Say you are looking at a clock face. The merchants are in the center surrounded by destroyers at 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock. I usually find myself at the 1 o'clock position submerged at 200+ feet at a dead stop bow pointing at and waiting for the lead destroyer (12 o'clock) to go past. The lead destroyer is the closest ship. For some reason, my hydrophones do not pick up this destroyer. Are hydrophones mounted on the keel and my bow is blocking them? Just seemed odd not to be able to pick up the closest ship. I am talking about seeing a line on the navigation map. I have been using the hydrophones a lot on patrol, submerging every 20nm or so to take a listen. I am finding I can hear better than the crew member on watch.

magic452
12-24-10, 01:04 AM
I would suggest that you put the game into a different folder than Programs Files. May run stock OK but it can make adding mods difficult.

You most diffidently will want to add most soon as stock leaves much to be desired. Mods improve the game 100%

Magic