PDA

View Full Version : Swedish police: Explosions were terrorism

Gerald
12-12-10, 06:24 AM
STOCKHOLM – Swedish police said Sunday that two explosions in central Stockholm were an act of terrorism by what appeared to be a suicide bomber, who killed himself and injured two people on a busy shopping street.Police would not comment on a motive for the Saturday attack. But a Swedish news agency said it received an e-mail threat just before the blast in which the writer claimed to have visited the Middle East "for jihad," and referred to the country's soldiers in Afghanistan and a cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad that outraged the Muslim world.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/12/12/swedish-police-explosions-terrorism/

Note: Published December 12, 2010

onelifecrisis
12-12-10, 06:53 AM
On the bright side, there's one less fu<khead in the world.

Gerald
12-12-10, 07:01 AM
I agree!

papa_smurf
12-12-10, 11:53 AM
On the bright side, there's one less fu<khead in the world.

Another nominee for a Darwin Award.

TLAM Strike
12-12-10, 12:23 PM
Another nominee for a Darwin Award.

Actually the list of Darwin winners for this would be huge, around half of suicide bombers in Afghanistan kill either themselves only or their buddies before going out on their mission (a nice big group hug is tradition before martyrdom... I'm not kidding...).

the_tyrant
12-12-10, 12:26 PM
Terrorism is anti evolution
why?
in other forms of crime, the smart ones survive, while the dumb ones get caught.
in terrorism, the smart ones die, and the dumb ones get their bombs from the FBI

nikimcbee
12-12-10, 12:31 PM
Sweden has terrorists?

Jimbuna
12-12-10, 02:13 PM
Sweden has terrorists?

I wasn't aware they had troops in Afghanistan until I saw the tv news on this incident :doh:

Gerald
12-12-10, 02:28 PM
This is probably about a person and his conduct, Sweden is a part of the world and unfortunately things like this happened here and there.

Fincuan
12-12-10, 04:49 PM
Once again we can put the blame on movies. This guy had obviously watched Four Lions (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1341167/) too many times. :stare:

the_tyrant
12-12-10, 05:00 PM
Once again we can put the blame on movies. This guy had obviously watched Four Lions (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1341167/) too many times. :stare:

I LOVE that movie:yep:

Jimbuna
12-12-10, 05:18 PM
Bloody hell!!...I've a tatoo with three lions on it (ECB logo) :o

Pleased it isn't four because I'd hate people to think I was in any way associated with jihadists :DL

TLAM Strike
12-12-10, 05:22 PM
I wasn't aware they had troops in Afghanistan until I saw the tv news on this incident :doh:

Yes they have 500 troops in the ISAF:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Security_Assistance_Force#Statistics _of_contributing_nations

Gerald
12-12-10, 05:26 PM
The man who owns the car that blew up in the corner of the Olaf Palme Street and Queen Street on Saturday is probably also the person who minutes after the car caught fire, blew himself to death at Bryggatan. Car owner's name is also identical to the signature on the hotmejl sent to SAPO (Swedish Security Service) shortly before the bombings.

28-year-old's father says to Expressen (Newspaper) that his son left home in southern Sweden early on Saturday morning in his car.

- We have tried to call my son, but his mobile is off, "said the father told the newspaper.

Yesterday, police had cordoned off the apartment where the man is written, which is located in the center of a small town in southern Sweden.

On his Facebook page, 28-year-old expressed radical religious views on the war in Iraq, and called for a boycott of Denmark. He status updates often consisted of prayers, and he has uploaded videos with Islamist messages, reported Aftonbladet. (Newspaper)

In late November, the man wrote on Facebook:

"God take my life when you become satisfied with my honest word and deed. God, I dedicate all my actions to you. God keep me away from falsehood, "according to Expressen. (Newspaper)

The man came to Sweden with his family in the early 90th century, from Iraq.

Friends of the man told Aftonbladet that he had good grades in high school, played basketball, loved to drink beer and found it easy to meet girls.

A man who went to the same class as 28-year-old high school describes him as a person who took a lot of space.

- He was talkative, asked a lot of lessons and was loud, "says the classmate told SvD. (Newspaper)

But none of the 28-year-old's behavior spoke for the attacks he is suspected.

- He never expressed any extremist views, or was violent, as I can remember. It's always hard to think that someone you felt would do something like this, but you can never say what will happen to someone after stopping to know them, "says the classmate.

After high school, the man moved to England to train as naprapath. He has an unpaid student debt registered. In England he married and had two daughters, but recently he moved back to Sweden and now he is registered as unmarried.

The e-mail that was sent to the Security Service and TT (The Swedish news agency) just before the explosions, however, the man writes about his wife, including that he could not tell who it was for his wife or children. He also asks family for forgiveness, and asks his wife to kiss the children. "Tell them Daddy loves them," said the man.

On an Internet site he has described himself as a Sunni Muslim, as "very religious". He also writes that he wants to live in an Arab country.

According to friends who spoke to Aftonbladet, the man recently becoming more religious, but they still had not thought he would become a suicide bomber.

- I am so shocked that I do not know what to say, one of them says to the newspaper.

The e-mail that was sent to TT claims 29-year-old that he does not belong to any organization, but that he traveled to the Middle East for jihad, which in Islamic terminology is sometimes used as a term for holy war.

Note: The text edited for English, from Swedish!

Madox58
12-12-10, 05:54 PM
Sounds like someone that wanted to commit Suicide for personnal reasons
but did not want the stigma of that kind of Suicide.
Much like 'Death by Cop' in the U.S.

Sledgehammer427
12-12-10, 06:06 PM
The man who owns the car that blew up in the corner of the Olaf Palme Street and Queen Street on Saturday is probably also the person who minutes after the car caught fire, blew himself to death at Bryggatan.

my mind hit the gutter when I read this, and even though I'm not one for it it sounds like a fun way to go (if you catch my drift)

The man came to Sweden with his family in the early 90th century, from Iraq.
THEY CAME FROM THE FUTURE?!

Note: The text edited for English, from Swedish!now everything makes sense

EDIT: all fun aside, I wish people would realize that this really isn't scaring us anymore. OLC said it right, It's just one less moron. Luckily they can't blow themselves to death twice.

Gerald
12-12-10, 06:13 PM
I understand what you mean, and possible to display words gone wrong, some were directly taken from the magazine, of course, he came in the early 90's.

krashkart
12-12-10, 06:51 PM
If they were really smart they'd try to capitalize on an X-Games theme for suicide bombers.

"Up now, Hussein Muhammed will attempt a quadruple McTwist off the quarter-pipe in a midsize economy sedan, terminating with a blaze of glory. And he's off!"

*KA-BOOM*

"Ooohhhhh!!! He didn't quite make the transition folks, and he's out of the running with 4 virgins on the blast radius score!"

*commercial break*

Sorry folks... it's the best I could come up with. :nope:

Penguin
12-12-10, 07:58 PM
Well, this blow-up-doll is a big thing for Sweden, here are some elaborations:

This was the first time in swedish history that a suicide bomber hit this country.

Sweden took many iraqi refugeses over the last 10 years. In fact did Sweden take more than the rest of Europe and North America, in total numbers as well as in percentages. For example the municipality of Södertälje, consisting of 80000 inhabitants (called little Baghdad) has taken more Iraqis than the USA and Canada ogether.

The swedish state really provides a lot of help to people coming into this country - much more than other countries.

Sweden has now an outspoken anti-immigrant party (Swedish Democrats) in the parliament. I am sure that the 1000s of law-abiding and hard-working immigrants really thank this ****er for poisoning the climate even more.

Some more facts about the incident, from different sources:

- The car bomb consisted of several petrol (us:gas) canisters in the car. Luckily it didn't really explode but deflagrated.

- The guy had a few (six?) bombs attached to his body, only one seems to have exploded. While there where some nails found at the scene, a full size-explosion could have been a lot worse:
Saturday's suicide bomb attack in Stockholm could have resulted in many casualties if it had been carried out correctly, a terrorism expert told news agency TT on Sunday. http://www.thelocal.se/30790/20101212/

- the "see ya in paradise" letter consists of the usual crap. Interesting is that he first complains about the cartoonist Lars Vilks and mentiones the swedish troops in Afghanistan second. Talking about priorities! :-?

For those unfamiliar with the swedish cartoonist dispute: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_Vilks_Muhammad_drawings_controversy
The last letter (swedish): http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/utskrift-av-hotmejlet-till-tt-1.1226018

- The guy came as a refugee in 92 and today has a middle-class background. He studied sports in Luton, UK (I'll let the british comment this) and lived in the beautifull small town of Tranås in Sweden. Not the typical immigrant ghetto, more like paradise! http://www.thelocal.se/30788/20101212/
His profile can be found here http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/12/stockholm-suicide-bomber-profile

Really, did someone force him to live here? He could have done much for "his" people in his home country, but he voluntary decided to live in Europe. It always strikes me new that people don't understand that the same laws that allow you to freely untter your crap on Facebook are the same that allow anyone to draw a cartoon about anything! You can't take some aspects of freedom of speech which you like and leave others out!

Madox58
12-12-10, 08:11 PM
So Sweden gets a taste of what many other Counties have to deal with.
Nut Cases running loose.
It's my opinion that if you want to take any life in the Name of your Religion?
You should be hunted down and exterminated at the earliest opportunity.
No trial, no exemptions, no safe place to hide.
Once you start spouting anything like killing people?
WHACK! Your gone.

Jimbuna
12-12-10, 08:12 PM
If they were really smart they'd try to capitalize on an X-Games theme for suicide bombers.

"Up now, Hussein Muhammed will attempt a quadruple McTwist off the quarter-pipe in a midsize economy sedan, terminating with a blaze of glory. And he's off!"

*KA-BOOM*

"Ooohhhhh!!! He didn't quite make the transition folks, and he's out of the running with 4 virgins on the blast radius score!"

*commercial break*

Sorry folks... it's the best I could come up with. :nope:

Food for thought :hmmm:

goldorak
12-12-10, 08:49 PM
So Sweden gets a taste of what many other Counties have to deal with.
Nut Cases running loose.
It's my opinion that if you want to take any life in the Name of your Religion?
You should be hunted down and exterminated at the earliest opportunity.
No trial, no exemptions, no safe place to hide.

:nope: terrorists are criminals and should be treated as such. You have to stop thinking that a suicide bomber here or there can take down an entire country, and that it warrants the indefinite suspension of the rule of law; thats stuff that B-series movies are made off. Think "Invasion USA" as an example.
Kick ass film, but that's it its just a film nothing more.

Once you start spouting anything like killing people?
WHACK! Your gone.

Yeah, how's it going for Ms Palin ? And those other nut cases in the government asking without any kind of restraint for the political assassination of Mr Assange ? Two weights and two mesures eh ?

Gerald
12-12-10, 09:28 PM
A property in the UK is being searched as part of the investigation into the weekend's bombing in Sweden, in which one man died, police have said.A search warrant was executed at a property in Bedfordshire, under the Terrorism Act 2000, on Sunday night, the Metropolitan Police said.It follows a suspected suicide bombing in Stockholm on Saturday.

Unconfirmed reports say the man killed by the blast was Taimour Abdulwahab al-Abdaly, 28, who lived in Luton.No arrests have been made and no hazardous materials were found at the property, Scotland Yard said. The search was expected to resume later on Monday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11980221

Note:13 December 2010 Last updated at 02:10 GMT

Gerald
12-13-10, 04:04 PM
A man who blew himself up in Stockholm was carrying three explosive devices and intended to kill as many people as possible, prosecutors say.Chief prosecutor Tomas Lindstrand said police were "98% sure" that the man was Iraq-born Taimour Abdulwahab al-Abdaly.

Abdaly, 28, is believed to have died minutes after setting off a car bomb on Saturday. Two other people were hurt.

Seven US FBI bomb experts are heading to Stockholm to help the investigation, Sweden's intelligence agency said.

Although Abdaly was a Swedish citizen he had been living in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11983667

Note:13 December 2010 Last updated at 20:28 GMT

Gotland
12-14-10, 06:49 PM
Could have been alot worse.. I actually walked by the same street where the car incinerated just an hour before. Feels kinda surreal, something like this happening so close to home, what i before only seen on the news.

Anyways, it seems that the car was supposed to be a distraction, so he could make his way to the central station/metro central area, which in the light of things is the most likely target. Along the way he seemed to have problems with his explosives, or needed some additional fixes, so he went into a empty back alley probably to correct the explosives. Somehow, he managed to set off one of the explosives on his person, which killed him, and luckily only bruised the adjacent building walls and knocked off part of a drain pipe.

Jimbuna
12-15-10, 08:09 PM
Could have been alot worse.. I actually walked by the same street where the car incinerated just an hour before. Feels kinda surreal, something like this happening so close to home, what i before only seen on the news.

Anyways, it seems that the car was supposed to be a distraction, so he could make his way to the central station/metro central area, which in the light of things is the most likely target. Along the way he seemed to have problems with his explosives, or needed some additional fixes, so he went into a empty back alley probably to correct the explosives. Somehow, he managed to set off one of the explosives on his person, which killed him, and luckily only bruised the adjacent building walls and knocked off part of a drain pipe.

Oh dear...what a shame :nope:

TarJak
12-16-10, 07:21 AM
Oh dear...what a shame :nope:
Well at least Allah is dealing with his fundamentalism now.

Penguin
12-16-10, 08:19 AM

I'm glad nothing happened to you - and also that the two injured are only slightly hurt. It's a strange feeling when you have an experience like this, your word surreal describes it best.

Some news updates:

- it is likely that the bomber had a helper, a walkie-talkie was found on the scene

- 2 swedish immans have comdemmed the suicide bomber, one even with a fatwa: good thing! :up: short article (http://www.stockholmnews.com/more.aspx?NID=6415)

- the highest imman disagrees on the fatwa, says this is a too strong word. Mainly this is a fight about inner church authority :-? swedish article (http://svenska.yle.fi/nyheter/artikel.php?id=203650): not the time right now for your inner-religious bs!

- The police is looking into a connection with the infamous radical preacher Abu Hamza in Britain bomber maybe linked to preacher (hhttp://www.thelocal.se/30886/20101216)

@ Vendor: how is the reaction in the country where you are at the moment? Is it in the news and/or discussed?