PDA

View Full Version : film -Action in the North Atlantic 1943

Trool323
11-13-10, 07:46 PM
I just saw Action in the North Atlantic last night on TMC. It's a great movie for its time. If you've never seen it you should. The 1943 trailer is on youtube at the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSlXvzNwmKc

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/198717.1020.A.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0790748789.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

frau kaleun
11-14-10, 10:50 AM
Well I'm a huge Bogie fan and I'd never even heard of this one.

Will have to see if Netflix has it, thanks for the recommendation! :yeah:

Frying Tiger
11-15-10, 08:59 AM
I was watching that with my son for a while as well... Alan Hale cracks me up, I can only see him as HIS son, Alan Hale Jr., The Skipper, in "Gilligan's Island". Man, those two look just alike!

fred8615
11-15-10, 11:20 AM
It's always been one of my favorites.

frau kaleun
11-15-10, 11:57 AM
Yay for Netflix, it's now at the top of my queue. :yeah:

vienna
11-16-10, 01:34 PM
I have this film on DVD as part of a Humphrey Bogart box set I bought a few years back. It is a very good film. The U-Boat scenes are a bit laughable (in one scene you can even see the tether used to control the model on the port side of the boat), but given that it was obviously a quickly made propaganda-type film, it is quite enjoyable. I sometimes have thought this film might deserve a remake. We here in the States have had cable TV movies about the land war ("The Pacific") and other such subjects, but there has not been a film dramatizing the Battle of the Atlantic and/or the efforts of the Merchant Marine. Maybe Tom Hanks could get on this.

By the way, if you buy the DVD, the film is presented as a "night out at the movies" including a period newreel and cartoon short.

Trool323
11-17-10, 09:57 AM
Glad I turned some of you on to the film. It's not bad for its age I enjoyed it and i'm 29.

Sailor Steve
11-17-10, 11:36 AM
Alan Hale cracks me up, I can only see him as HIS son, Alan Hale Jr...
Alan Hale senior was Little John in the 1938 Errol Flynn Robin Hood.

vienna
11-17-10, 01:21 PM
I met Alan Hale, Jr. many years ago and he was one of the nicest people I have ever seen in Hollywood. He used to own a restaurant on La Cienega Blvd. in West Hollywood and I was passing by one night and I saw him outside the front door. I have lived in and around Hollywood for many years and have seen and met many celebrities, so I 'm not inclined to make a fuss over them when I see them. But the sight of the Skipper was a bit more than I could resist and I went up to him and told him how much of a fan I was of both he and his father. He was very gracious, shook my hand and we had a brief and pleasant conversation. Other people began to come up to him and he was equally as nice to them and took time to talk to each one and posed for a few pictures. I always remember his smiling face and gentle manner to this day.

corvette k225
02-10-11, 08:14 AM
Have you guys seen the movie Corvette k225? the last time I seen it was
about 12 years ago, on AMC. Very good movie.:):) I donot think it is
on DVD yet.:cry: