PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wanna ride the Periscope?

WarlordATF
11-06-10, 02:03 AM
I think i'd pass on this ride, LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtXao287pKA

Diopos
11-06-10, 03:43 AM
So that's the guy that reports the contacts on periscope depth!

:D

Good one! :up:

WarlordATF
11-07-10, 01:10 AM
Yeah, its kinda crazy. It looks like he and his camera platform are just lashed to the scope with ropes! That camera man is alot braver than i would be!

Another interesting thing i noticed was the ladder position in the interior shots, it kinda looks like the Porpoise Interior would be a better match for the Narwhal Class in the game, i'm going to change that tonight.

EDIT: i was wrong about the porpoise interior, after looking closer at the footage i realized the ladder runs port to starboard instead of bow to stern.

Platapus
11-07-10, 11:12 AM
So is this propaganda or did Sub crews really wear their covers in the sub?

DaveyJ576
11-07-10, 07:26 PM
So is this propaganda or did Sub crews really wear their covers in the sub?

Propaganda. As soon as the maneuvering watch was set the covers for everyone except the topside line handlers got stowed in their lockers and didn't get pulled out again until you set the maneuvering watch inbound. When they film these little gems it doesn't look "sailorish" enough if the crew isn't wearing their covers, so the Navy dictates it. Covers serve no useful purpose in a submarine underway.

Hell, in the Cold War you would have been doing good just to get the crew to wear a uniform, much less a cover! :D

WarlordATF
11-08-10, 03:29 AM
Another reason may have been that its pre-war and the regulations were alot more strict then. I have read that during pre-war training exercises if a subs scope was spotted the Captain could have lost his command. During wartime things loosen up a bit as long as you are not endangering anyone you can get away with a little more.

I never served so i can only go by what i have read and the little i learned from my Step-dad who was a Marine in Vietnam, But he did tell me there was a huge difference between being stateside and being in the warzone as far as regulations go.