PDA

View Full Version : Sonar vs Thermal Layers

Kptlt. Neuerburg
11-03-10, 12:08 PM
Hi all, I was wondering if the thermal layers in SH4 actually help hide your sub from DDs like in real life. In TMO 2.0 they seem to help hide the sub from sonar pings as I found out in my first patrol with the USS-Seawolf as I was able to reload the torpedo tubes at a depth of around 300 feet with being heard by the nearby destoryer. As anyone else had luck with thermal layers in mods or stock SH4?

WernherVonTrapp
11-03-10, 12:27 PM
Yup, the thermal layer (thermocline) helps in damping the sound of your boat. It also helps a lot more if the seas are rough too.:yep:

RodBorza
11-03-10, 10:43 PM
Our buddy Werner said it all.

"Yup, the thermal layer (thermocline) helps in damping the sound of your boat. It also helps a lot more if the seas are rough too"

It dampens. Not hides your sub as a cloak in Star Trek universe. And also remember, bad weather is your friend. They always will have a bad time trying to find you. That beautiful blue pool that sometimes the Pacific (hence the name) becomes sometimes is only good for cruise liners :up:.

Edit: I was going to do some videos on escpa tactics from Destroyers. I Hope sometime I'll have time do to them.

Dignan
11-04-10, 06:09 AM
Edit: I was going to do some videos on escpa tactics from Destroyers. I Hope sometime I'll have time do to them.

I would really be interested in seeing these if you ever get around to it. :up:

Armistead
11-04-10, 06:20 AM
The thermal lawer basically gives you a sonar coat. If you were loading, you obviously had silent running off, which also gives you a few value points in your favor of not being heard. Early war it's rather easy to go deep and stay under their sonar cone. As stated the biggest factor is rough seas, gives you the most value points, course calm seas you take a loss.

The best evasion tactics depend on water conditions. If they're rough I'm staying flank until I escape. If calm, I stay silent until a DD makes a pass, then flank so the charges fall behind, back silent.

Depth and the correct use of speed I seldom use silent running if I need to load my tubes.