PDA

View Full Version : Sub sim game advice

wirlybird
10-28-10, 05:54 PM
Hi all,

I need some advice. I am looking for a top end no holds barred sub sim for my step dad. He served on a few different subs as an officer in WWII mainly the SS-389 Piranha and wants a sim. He is on a Mac platform, probably onne of the newest notebooks.
Thanks for any advice!!

Takeda Shingen
10-28-10, 07:42 PM
It sounds to me like he may want to play as the USN. In that case, Silent Hunter 4 is the way to go. Fully patched and with mods like Trigger Maru, it is the premier Pacific submarine simulation. You can read more about it on it's forum here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202

If he wants to play as the Kriegsmarine in the Atlantic, I would recommend Silent Hunter III. It is a bit dated in the graphics department, but with mods like The Grey Wolves, it is as good as you'll currently get in the Atlantic. It's forum is here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Silent Hunter 5 is currently more of a work-in-progress. The modders will make the game great, but we're not even a year after release. New mods will come out that will replace old mods, and swapping, checking and updating will be required. If you don't think that your stepfather would like to do that, then consider Silent Hunter 3 or 4, as they are generally fully developed.

Also, 5 comes with a DRM requirement that you must be online at all times to play. While not particularly problematic, it may prove a nuisance for someone of your stepfather's age. Silent Hunter 3 and 4 do not have this type of protection, and one may simply click and play regardless of internet connection. The system requirements for Silent Hunter 5 are also very steep, and the game may not play well on a laptop. 3 and 4, however will be well within the requirements of the system that you described.

wirlybird
10-29-10, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the great info! Internet connection is not a big deal for him, he is also very computer "literate". His Mac is the latest "maxed" out! But I will pass on this info. I do appreciate the advice!

wirlybird
10-29-10, 03:08 PM
I have not been able to determine yet if Silent Hunter IV is available for the Mac.

longam
10-29-10, 03:19 PM
If he has the latest Mac and wants to game, he might look into boot camp to run windows.

irish1958
10-29-10, 04:32 PM
Longam is right. Apparently, all windows programs can run on the MAC. I don't have a MAC, but my daughter says that every program she has tried has worked fine.

TheDarkWraith
10-29-10, 05:11 PM
Since Apple starting putting Intel processors (or Intel compatible processors) in their Macs then yes, it is possible to run Windows apps on them