PDA

View Full Version : Save game filesize growing

MaddogK
10-25-10, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know why the filesize of the save games gets so large ? I don't select 'save replays' and can't understand why a 300k save (leaving port) grows to 1.0+ GIGS on a save 30 game days later. In the save game folder is a file thats labelled replay but I can't view it, and there's a temp folder in the SH4 gamesave folder thats almost 2 gig's.

Can I safely delete some of this stuff as I can't afford this kinda drive space ?

Armistead
10-25-10, 01:43 PM
The only place in game to delete is the actual save option, hit save and you delete singles.

You can delete them all at once by deleting the saved game file. I'll try to locate where it is if you want.

MaddogK
10-25-10, 01:53 PM
The only place in game to delete is the actual save option, hit save and you delete singles.

You can delete them all at once by deleting the saved game file. I'll try to locate where it is if you want.

I don't want to delete the game, just the replay and the temp file if possible. Is this a bug where it's actually saving the replay but not letting me view it ?

Armistead
10-25-10, 05:23 PM
I've never messed with the reply feature, but my understanding to use it you must start it at the beginning of a career. DId you hit save replay at anytime? Don't know of any bug except never heard of anyone actually finding the replay feature worked.

Hopefully someone can help, I'll see if I can find that file.

WernherVonTrapp
10-25-10, 06:48 PM
Does anyone know why the filesize of the save games gets so large ? I don't select 'save replays' and can't understand why a 300k save (leaving port) grows to 1.0+ GIGS on a save 30 game days later. Here's what I always do. Every time I end my patrol and upon leaving base for the new patrol, I immediately save the game by naming it with my home base name, followed by the current date. I then delete the old "Autosave On Leaving Base" and the "Autosave On Entering Base" (keeping the new ones of course). Lastly, I deleted the older dated patrols and keep only the current date. This way, I always avoid having these files grow too large.

MaddogK
10-25-10, 07:13 PM
Thanks WVT, will give it a try.

Armistead: I did hit 'save replay' once way back when and even viewed it once and found the replay function useless so I've never hit it again, not once in this career. Am wondering if the game is still saving replays even tho it's not letting me view them. I'm not sure if the game will let me 'hot swap' the save dir with my virgin (empty save dir) copy, I'll give it a try, then resave. I have this feeling I'm going to have to cleanse everything -saves and configs and start from scratch else COD4 may have to be temporarily uninstalled to gimme some drive space to fool around with.

WernherVonTrapp
10-26-10, 05:39 AM
Thanks WVT, will give it a try.

Armistead: I did hit 'save replay' once way back when and even viewed it once and found the replay function useless so I've never hit it again, not once in this career. Am wondering if the game is still saving replays even tho it's not letting me view them. I'm not sure if the game will let me 'hot swap' the save dir with my virgin (empty save dir) copy, I'll give it a try, then resave. I have this feeling I'm going to have to cleanse everything -saves and configs and start from scratch else COD4 may have to be temporarily uninstalled to gimme some drive space to fool around with.I'm not absolutely sure about this (currently in-game and can't check) but, you should be able to go into your My Documents/SHIV folder and find exactly what (IS) being saved by your game.

MaddogK
10-26-10, 02:51 PM
I saw a replay file and another temp file (about 2 gigs total) in the main CFG folder which were recreated by the game at startup, also saw a huge (1.7 gig) file in the games save directory that kills that save when deleted (*.rpl?) so I undeleted it, and continued on with that save- found the time compression slowed the game down at anything over 512, so ran that speed all the way back to Pearl (3 hours real time), got my radar upgrade and transferred to Fremantle command. Upon departure from Fremantle was assigned patrol in Aleutian islands.
:down:

Decided to goto bed, and erase that save when I get home tonight. I'll resume old save somewhere in Luzon straights and hope to pick up Kongo's battlegroup enroute to Midway.