PDA

View Full Version : Noise management questions

Vaux
10-21-10, 10:06 AM
While trying to evade a couple of DDs after sinking the Troop Ship they were (unsuccessfully :D) guarding, a couple of noise management questions occurred to me. I am currently at Silent Running and keeping my RPMs below 100.

1) Can the DDs in the game pick up on my gramaphone? In RL I would expect them to, but what about the game? It sure would be nice to be able to listen to some music while spending an hour or four evading DDs. (I play with headphones so as not to wake my early-to-bed, light-sleeping wife, so external-to-the-game music is not an option for me.)

2) A DC gets close and I get some minor damage. If I activate my Damage Control Team, will their activities be picked up by the DDs in the game, or are they smart enough to adjust there activities to adhere to the Silent Running order (as much possible)?

ETR3(SS)
10-21-10, 11:06 AM
Destroyers won't pick up your gramophone as far as I know, and I see no reason why they would. It is there for your use so you don't have to have Media Player going in the background taking up resources. As for you DC team, you can activate them while Silent Running but they don't repair anything until you secure from Silent Running. Also keep your shaft rpm below 50, if that means you have to manually set speed than do it. Anything above 50 and the destroyers have an easier time picking you up.

Vaux
10-21-10, 12:18 PM
Destroyers won't pick up your gramophone as far as I know, and I see no reason why they would. It is their for your use so you don't have to have Media Player going in the background taking up resources. As for you DC team, you can activate them while Silent Running but they don't repair anything until you secure from Silent Running. Also keep your shaft rpm below 50, if that means you have to manually set speed than do it. Anything above 50 and the destroyers have an easier time picking you up.

Darn it! I remember reading on here a while back a post by someone who said that as long as your RPMs are <100, you're OK. Maybe that's why I can't shake these guys. I'll try <50 and see if I can sneak away.

I've seen the DC team working while in Silent Running. I took some damage and had water spraying around the control room. I activated the DC team and a couple of guys appeared and fixed it. After the leaks were stopped, I disabled the DC team and they disappeared. I'm running TMO 2.0, maybe that's the difference?

Vaux
10-22-10, 06:31 AM
You gave me some good advice, ETR3. I kept the RPMs below 50 and managed to finally sneak away from those 2 DDs that have been hounding me. I had the gramaphone on too, BTW.