PDA

View Full Version : Just got SHIV what mods to get?

devastat
10-17-10, 05:00 PM
Hello All,

I am a newbie with Silent Hunter games, just installed the SH IV. Should I install some mods or start out playing the game without modding?

Schwieger
10-17-10, 05:11 PM
Play the game first, and if there is anything you don't like there is probably a mod out there that fixes it, in which case you look for it. :yeah:

CCIP
10-17-10, 05:14 PM
I think mods are pretty essential! The basic game has far too many realism problems and outright glitches. I wouldn't recommend it without mods.

There are many flavours, but the most common ones are:

If you're looking for Pacific action, RFB (Real Fleet Boat) or TMO (Trigger Maru Overhauled) are two basic mods you can choose from. They can also optionally be customized with RSRDC (Run Silent, Run Deep Campaign), which is a very thoroughly-researched historical campaign layer for the game.

If you're looking for U-boats, whether in the Indian Ocean or the traditional theaters (Atlantic, Med), OM (Operation Monsun) is the most obvious choice. It also goes very well with OMEGU (Operation Monsun Environment and Graphics Upgrade).

There are of course many other options, but these basic choices are excellent starting points.

Happy sailing :yeah:

I'm goin' down
10-17-10, 05:21 PM
I would start with auto targeting until you get bored. Then try manual targeting, which is a challenge. Around that time you can try a supermod. Take your pick of FOTRS (Fall of the Rising Sun), RFB (Real Fleet Boats), or TMO (Trigger Maru Overhauled). Run Silent Run Deep (RSRDC) is an overlay supermod for RFB and TMO that tracks convoys and task force routes in the war, so if you want to participate in major sea conflict in the Pacific, get your boat to location at the proper time and place, and viola, the naval forces participating will be there as scheduled. Webster's has amassed many game fixes for the stock game into a mod call GFO, but I have never used it.

To master manual tareting, you will need to understand the TDC (torpedo data computer), and how the Attack Dials (TBTtools) work, including the concept of aspect ratio. Playing at full realism is not easy.

A useful mod for manual targeting is the Easy Aob mod. A stand alone program that is very good is gutted's Solution Solver.

Max Optics and SCAF (Ship Centered Accuracy Fix) are useful too.

There are a wide range of individual mods ranging from medals fixes -to pin-ups for the office desk photo -to great white sharks prowling the waters (I haven't seen any) -to super torpeodoes that will sink any vessel they hit.

You can find mods in the Mod forum for SH4. In the main SH4 forum, Rockin Robbins thread re the Skippers Bag of Tricks provides much useful information including links to attack techniques, avoiding radar, etc. Plan on spending some time reading. The above is merely a start, as there is a ton of material. The sim is complex, and if when you want to be blown totally away, go to MoBo forum and takle aaronbloods MoBo (electronic manuevering board) masterpiece.

Welcome aboard.:salute:

Bubblehead1980
10-17-10, 07:26 PM
Play the "stock" game, out of the box first with auto target while you figure things out. Then try manual targeting, then once you see the annoying things that the stock game has wrong, go for mods.

Make sure you have version 1.5(u boat missions) because V 1.5 has a patch for the pacific side of things and all the best mods are based on V 1.5

TMO is my favorite, RFB is great also for PTO.

razark
10-18-10, 08:19 AM
Play the stock game first.

Then, when you install mods, you'll appreciate them that much more. It's even better if you can get the original, unpatched version 1.0.

NoGoodLandLubber
10-18-10, 09:54 AM
I've been running RFR 2.0 with the April 2010 patch for a while now; but I'm looking for the RSRDC download. It doesn't appear that the posted link works.

Does someone have it uploaded elsewhere or can fix the possible broken link in the download section?

Edit: I found a working link here http://www.silenthuntermods.com/forum/index.php?topic=108.0

devastat
10-28-10, 03:27 PM
Thanks a lot for great replies. I will try this game first without modding and with automatic targeting and then get mods as i progress and learn about the game. :)