PDA

View Full Version : TMO or RSRD, what controls Patrol Zones?

Armistead
10-13-10, 12:42 AM
I think TMO adds or rescripts most of the missions, if running RSRD over TMO, doe's this effect TMO missions?

Someone at the other forum said he got 3 special missions in a row running TMO2RSRD, don't recall that, unless Duc added more missions late war, was 44.

When you get the patrol zones running RSRD what is controlling where they're set?

Usually your patrol zone is far from upcoming action, which is often strange, because even the game movie intel tells what's going on that time of year, possible upcoming battles, ect. Sometimes it shows where subs are set to guard, but your patrol star never sends you to these areas. So many complain never finding anything with RSRD, but usually they're in the patrol zone, not where the action is.

tomoose
10-13-10, 01:16 PM
I've never thought of it in those terms. There are many notional U.S. subs out there with dozens of different patrol zones with the player being just one of them. If you don't get a patrol where the 'action' is that's just the luck of the draw. I have yet to find any historic major naval engagement but I stick to my orders (within reason in that I certainly go outside my 150nm 'limit' once in the area to look for targets). During a patrol I will receive the odd message alerting me to enemy TF movement etc but if it's way off my route I do not go tearing off if I feel it would be a waste of time/fuel when, again notionally, I would know that other subs would be a helluva lot closer and could engage.

As to the 'special' missions; that's a good point. I have not had a single special mission as yet (insertion, pilot rescue, recon etc) so I'm assuming they have been severely dialed down in TMO or removed completely.

Ducimus
10-13-10, 01:55 PM
I think TMO adds or rescripts most of the missions, if running RSRD over TMO, doe's this effect TMO missions?

Yup. RSRD does its own missions. It's pretty much a completely different game i think.

Bubblehead1980
10-13-10, 02:02 PM

Someone at the other forum said he got 3 special missions in a row running TMO2RSRD, don't recall that, unless Duc added more missions late war, was 44.

When you get the patrol zones running RSRD what is controlling where they're set?

Usually your patrol zone is far from upcoming action, which is often strange, because even the game movie intel tells what's going on that time of year, possible upcoming battles, ect. Sometimes it shows where subs are set to guard, but your patrol star never sends you to these areas. So many complain never finding anything with RSRD, but usually they're in the patrol zone, not where the action is.

Well I was assigned to patrol the Molucca Passage in early June 1944, the area I am patroling is right in the path of the "Batt Force" consiting of Yamato, Musashi, two cruisers and some Destroyers that left Halmahera on June 14, 1944 and headed north to join the main force of carriers in the Philippine Sea for the operation against the Marianas invasion.The orders say make "reports as neccessary".So the game has ordered me to an area when I have high probability running into a major IJN force.May not have me in the main battle area, but I could always go there.

WernherVonTrapp
10-13-10, 02:18 PM
I don't recall if they were in immediate succession but, in RFB/RSRDC, I got a number of special Recon Missions that did not involve photographing ships. I don't remember the exact number but, I do remember being sent to Tarawa and Palau. The objectives, which were not so obvious at first, involved photographing the coral reefs. It took me some time to figure it out (not too long though:D) but, I rather enjoyed the different dimension it added to my missions. Interestingly, I reached all of these objectives at night which was probably fortuitous since I had to get pretty close to enemy occupied territory in order to take the photos. Not sure if this is what paul was referring to at the other forum but, it sure sounds similar.:salute:
BTW, generally speaking, I've received patrol missions too that are usually far away from the action. Not all the time but most of the time. Like bubblehead, I usually seem to have the time to go where the action is if I choose.

Armistead
10-13-10, 03:11 PM
Yup. RSRD does its own missions. It's pretty much a completely different game i think.

but what about the average patrol zone, these could be numerous, so just wondering if the stock game is actually in charge of the average patrol.

One thing that I've noticed doing patrol zones is if you hang around for 2-3 days longer after the stat grays out, something nice often comes through.

Diopos
10-13-10, 04:39 PM
One thing that I've noticed doing patrol zones is if you hang around for 2-3 days longer after the stat greys out, something nice often comes through.

That, or simply moving to the nearest "logical" spot (shipping lane, "straits", major ports/bases,etc). I must admit that although patrol zones not always conform to what I perceive as "logical",they are not located "in the middle of nowhere" ...mostly at the "edge" of nowhere, bordering to the limit of "something"! :•)

NorthBeach
10-13-10, 08:13 PM
I'm not a huge proponent of zooming off to where the pinheads send me. But, I go, on occasion. I've always suspected that RSRD scripts the missions as some sort of stress test, e.g., SE of Formosa. You know the entrance to The Strait is right over there. It's just outside of radar range. And, you know that there are targets happily coming and going as they please. You can even, at times, hear them if you wander down to sonar. So there I sit, a half a mile from the edge of the patrol zone. Foot on the clutch and engines at redline. Waiting for that damn icon to go gray...

tater
10-13-10, 08:25 PM
Patrols are entirely set by the campaign in rsrdc.

Armistead
10-13-10, 09:50 PM
Patrols are entirely set by the campaign in rsrdc.

Can you explain more? When you say entirely, are the patrol area's scripted by RSRD or just some vague parameters generated by code that decides where you go? You could ask numerous patrol zones per patrol, resulting in hundreds of patrol zones, can't believe someone would script each patrol zone. I always thought the code generated the patrol zones why RSRD rescripted the special missions.

Some of the patrol zones do send you to invasion points or battles, but just very few. So many can't find invasion forces or battles with RSRD because the patrol zones seldom send you there, why I figured the game code generated patrol zones.

Hope I'm making sense what I'm asking.

tater
10-14-10, 12:32 AM
Patrols are EXPLICITLY set. Nothing campaign wise is "hidden" in the non-moddable code.

UPC stuff sets where subs are based.

The patrol objectives are inside Campaigns/Campaign and set every, single patrol objective is there. 286 of them in RSRDC.

They are called based on various parameters. Starting location of sub---and date, current position, etc.

What do you mean? Why doesn't RSRDC put you in the middle of every battle? Some patrols likely do, but there are nearly 300 patrols. Otherwise, how many RL subs were in the middle of major naval engagements? Some were sent for screening missions.

Armistead
10-14-10, 02:37 AM
That's some amazing work. No, I wouldn't expect it to put you in every battle, invasion force, ect, be totally unrealistic. It doe's put you in a few possible area's, but I've noticed many times the patrol ends long before the enemy may arrive. Of course speed could matter. Take the patrol zone for the San Bern Philippine invasion force, if you leave Manila and run standard to the zone, the patrol will end several days before the invasion force arrives. Most will miss it, because the star grays out and they move on. I missed this many times being sent to this patrol zone, until I got historical maps showing when the force arrived.

Same thing happened with my attack on the Yamato. Sent to a patrol zone SSE of the Bungo, went standard to get there. Patrol ended, asked for another one, almost beside it, same area, again patrol ended. Got another, this one was further, but still in the shipping lane path from the bungo to Truk, but I moved right outside the Bungo. The Y came along and after a 3 day chase, guess where it passed, my first patrol zone. If I would stayed there 7 more days, I would've also found it.

Here is what people need to consider when they reach the patrol zone, I think more so with RSRD, don't leave when the star grays out, hang around for several more days, you might be surprised what comes along. I think the main reason people don't find ships with RSRD patrol zones is they simply leave too early.....that's all.