PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 and Silent Hunter 4 - Running issue?

Lagunaseca
09-21-10, 10:05 PM
Can't get Silent Hunter 4 to run. Installs fine and I loaded to C: ubisoft but still will not run. The intro work and I can get the command room but if I try to raise the periscope or other function it crashes.

My computer details appear to meet all the system requirements. No icon appeared on the desktop (unlike SH3). It is a UK version (will this work on a USA/Canadian Computer?

Any help greatly appreaciated.

Lagunaseca
09-21-10, 10:45 PM
Inspiron 545
6 GB RAM
64 bit
684 GB
Graphics - Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (256 MB, Direct 9 or better).

cdrsubron7
09-22-10, 08:40 AM
Are you using a downloaded version or a disk. If you have the disk, make sure you install the DirectX that comes with it. SHIV needs DX 9.0c in order to run correctly. Also, one other thing from your Computer specs. An Intel graphics card does not work to well with SHIV.

Lagunaseca
09-22-10, 09:36 AM
CDRSUBRON7, the intel graphic card does not work well with SHIV OR it will not work at all?

tomoose
09-22-10, 12:38 PM
I just got a new system with Windows 7 and installed SHIV with no probs. Intalled to Ubisoft folder.
I'm not sure about the graphics card issue (I'm using an ATI on the new system but had Nvidia on the old system with no probs).

There are UK/European 'versions' for a reason so I'd bet that may have something to do with it. A buddy had issues with some non-US software a while back (not SHIV) and when he got the US version, no probs.

Good luck.

CoruscatingFox
09-22-10, 04:42 PM
This is probably because of the graphics - Intel integrated graphics controllers are simply not designed for gaming at all. Since it seems to crash for you upon switching to an external view, this is definitely my guess.

Your best option would be to look into getting a dedicated ATI/Nvidia graphics card, especially if you plan on doing much gaming - there are many relatively inexpensive options that will run Silent Hunter 4 very well. If you do decide to upgrade, don't forget to check that your power supply has enough wattage and the proper connectors for the new card.

Lagunaseca
09-22-10, 08:44 PM
I ran the "Can You Run it" and it aims at the Video Card. Funny I run Silent Hunter 3 all the time and "can you run it" claims it will not work on my system (but it does).

I am looking at the VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 3650 card. Any experiences with this card and Silent Hunter 4?

NoGoodLandLubber
09-27-10, 09:46 AM
I'm running a Radeon 4550 and can't get it to work.

The splash screen comes up and the intro videos play; but then the game crashes!

I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit with 2 quad core processors. 8 GB of RAM. I've added the 1.4 patch; but am not running any mods of any kind. I've uninstalled / reinstalled according to all of the different directions I've found posted in various threads here.

The game only cost me $6 at HalfPriced Books; but still I'd really like to give it a go!

Fish40
09-29-10, 09:23 AM
I recently bought a new rig with Windows 7 64bit, and SH4 plays fine. There is a sticky at the top of either this page, or the Mods forum page which has detailed install instructions for both Vista and 7. Here's what I did. First, and most importantly, do not install the game to the default x86 folder. Create a folder directly on your C drive, and call it whatever you want. Install the game here, and be sure to install as Administrator. After the game is installed, and patched to 1.5, be sure the game desktop shortcut is pointing to the game exe., and not the gui. Also with the shortcut, right click on it and open the properties tab. Click on the compatability tab and check off Run as Administrator. These are the things I did for trouble free operation.

NoGoodLandLubber
09-29-10, 10:35 AM
... First, and most importantly, do not install the game to the default x86 folder. Create a folder directly on your C drive, and call it whatever you want...

Yup...done that part already.

...Install the game here, and be sure to install as Administrator...

Didn't do that part. I have an administrator level account; but didn't log in as "the" administrator.

...Install the game here, and be sure to install as Administrator. After the game is installed, and patched to 1.5, be sure the game desktop shortcut is pointing to the game exe., and not the gui...

I'm not running the Gold Edition so I only get patched to version 1.4; which I've done. I also made a new shortcut directly from the folder on my hard drive.

...Also with the shortcut, right click on it and open the properties tab. Click on the compatability tab and check off Run as Administrator. These are the things I did for trouble free operation.

Haven't done this one either; but I'll surely give it a try!

Thanks so much for the info! I'll definitely try it again with the steps you've mentioned. In the mean time I'll just keep lobbing TASMs at all the surface ships I can find in DW.

NoGoodLandLubber
09-30-10, 10:18 AM
I went in and re-installed following all the steps above and the game did work under the local administrator account. So, I made sure my local account was in the administrators group then logged in.

I went into the shortcut and changed it to "Run as Administrator"; but the same thing happened. The intro videos would play; but then the game crashed.

So, on a whim I took a look at the folder where the game installed, in this case C:\Games\SH4, and checked the properties. For some reason the folder was set to "Read Only". I unchecked that box and hit Apply.

After that the games launched and worked just fine! So, if anyone runs into that sort of problem with the game not loading, check the properties on the folder where you installed the game.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

BuckFinwilde
07-19-12, 12:18 AM
I had the game installed before and it worked just fine, but recently it keeps crashing while trying to load a mission. The Sub school portion works just fine. I have unchecked the folder from read only. I tried re-installing the game but no luck. My machine is an older one, AMD 64 ATHALON 2.0GHZ, VIDEO is ATI RADEON X1950 PRO, 4GB ram. Any suggestions other than it's time to upgrade this beast!! :arrgh!:

Captain Sparrow
07-24-12, 11:31 PM
right click on the silent hunter 4.exe file in the ubisoft folder in the programs file, select properties, run in compatibility mode, select windows xp.....

Webster
07-25-12, 12:19 AM
the only operating systems with issues of games loading was vista and the problem went away when vista went away.

load the game in windows 7 normally and DO NOT REDIRECT IT ANYWHERE ELSE just let it install by itself and you wont have any problems

Karl Von Hallinon
01-29-15, 11:59 AM
Thanks comrades ,i set it to windows 8 compatability and it runs like a dream on hi graphics now.:woot:

Aktungbby
01-29-15, 03:32 PM
Karl Von Hallinon! :Kaleun_Salute:

razark
01-29-15, 04:28 PM
I just moved to a new computer. I had Vista, this one has 7. I bought a new DVD copy of the game because I was unable to activate the u-boat addon.

I copied my entire SH4 install from the old computer to the new one. I then installed the new version in another directory. I copied the new .exe from that into the old install. Everything seems to be working fine so far, without having to worry about mods installing, etc.

Jimbuna
01-30-15, 06:12 AM
Thanks comrades ,i set it to windows 8 compatability and it runs like a dream on hi graphics now.:woot:

Welcome Karl :salute: