PDA

View Full Version : I am such an unromantic jerk

Platapus
09-20-10, 07:50 PM
Friday was The Frau's birthday. I made reservations on a nice dinner cruise that spends three hours on the Potomac river going past the memorials.

Well it gets dark here at night as I am sure it gets dark most places at night. there we were, my best girley by my side, holding hands on deck, the moonlight poking through some overcast, perfect weather, just a touch of breeze to make it absolutely comfortable. We were alone on this portion of the deck.

There was no need for words between us. With the moonlight the way it was, a man starts a thinkin... There I was, looking out over the dark water, so quiet. I thought to myself

"I bet it is possible for a submarine to approach a merchant ship undetected on the surface to well within 1000 yards." :yep:

Bubblehead1980
09-20-10, 07:51 PM
:har::salute:

TarJak
09-20-10, 08:27 PM
Dunno what you mean. Sounds very romantic to me. Did you say it out loud?:haha:

frau kaleun
09-20-10, 08:30 PM
Friday was The Frau's birthday. I made reservations on a nice dinner cruise that spends three hours on the Potomac river going past the memorials.

Well it gets dark here at night as I am sure it gets dark most places at night. there we were, my best girley by my side, holding hands on deck, the moonlight poking through some overcast, perfect weather, just a touch of breeze to make it absolutely comfortable. We were alone on this portion of the deck.

There was no need for words between us. With the moonlight the way it was, a man starts a thinkin... There I was, looking out over the dark water, so quiet. I thought to myself

"I bet it is possible for a submarine to approach a merchant ship undetected on the surface to well within 1000 yards." :yep:

I'm confused, what's the problem again? :O:

Lord_magerius
09-20-10, 08:32 PM
It depends on how overcast and which way the breeze would be blowing. I suggest we take control of a military vessel and conduct our own experiments. Though I'm sure your other half would get sick of going on the same boat trip again and again until we had our results :O::yeah:
I think in a similar way though I must admit, I see any form of ship anywhere and I'm working out how many I would need to fire at her and the spread I would use :haha:

SteamWake
09-20-10, 08:40 PM
the moonlight poking through some overcast

Wait.. thats a metaphor right?

Schöneboom
09-20-10, 09:07 PM
Well, you were holding her hand, not peering through high-powered binoculars. So there is hope!

frau kaleun
09-20-10, 09:17 PM
Well, you were holding her hand, not peering through high-powered binoculars. So there is hope!

There was, right up until he pulled out his protactor at dinner* and started plotting an attack plan on his napkin.

*Note to Steamwake: this is not a metaphor. :O:

GoldenRivet
09-20-10, 10:55 PM

I know all about this story.

I was 400 yards off the port astern watching this unfold through my periscope.

:up:

you need to drill your watch crew a bit harder.

Zachstar
09-20-10, 10:59 PM
No need I had you TMA plotted to within 200 yards in my Seawolf! :rock:

nikimcbee
09-20-10, 11:38 PM
Sounds like someone needs to watch more sub movies with love stories...

You know the one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07vb5giZ0Yk

Flaxpants
09-20-10, 11:39 PM
Well, Frau Kaleuns comments indicate that romance, rather like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I would not recommend however trying to explain AOB calculations using the salt cellar and cutlery at dinner on a first date. Unless of course you're dating Frau Kaleun in which case this will stand you in good stead for the night.:woot:

Gerald
09-21-10, 12:52 AM
Platapus! Sometimes when I have the opportunity to visit various ports, which are sailing boats or motor boats, large and small, can be mind wander as to wonder just what this boat that I see before my eyes, could possibly need, how many eels or AOB, but it can easily become if you let your imagination run...

Aramike
09-21-10, 12:59 AM

"I bet it is possible for a submarine to approach a merchant ship undetected on the surface to well within 1000 yards." :yep:Well, I suppose if your intent is to approach on the surface you won't have much need to raise your periscope, negating any purpose to the romance... :yep:

Gerald
09-21-10, 01:04 AM
True, but there are other things that can get up :O:

Zachstar
09-21-10, 01:49 AM
True, but there are other things that can get up :O:

VIVA VIagr.... *Gets pummeled*

Penguin
09-21-10, 05:42 AM
I think in a similar way though I must admit, I see any form of ship anywhere and I'm working out how many I would need to fire at her and the spread I would use :haha:

Platapus! Sometimes when I have the opportunity to visit various ports, which are sailing boats or motor boats, large and small, can be mind wander as to wonder just what this boat that I see before my eyes, could possibly need, how many eels or AOB, but it can easily become if you let your imagination run...

I am glad that I am not the only one to whom this happens! :) Since my first (sim) torpedo run I cannot look at ships the same way as before. I am just waiting for a sonar application for my phone, so I can check where an underwater attack is possible. :arrgh!:

Oberon
09-21-10, 07:08 AM
I think my other half is used to it after a day at the beach spent estimating distance, bearing and tonnage on the shipping making its way into Felixstowe port. :haha:

Rilder
09-21-10, 07:22 AM
I think my other half is used to it after a day at the beach spent estimating distance, bearing and tonnage on the shipping making its way into Felixstowe port. :haha:

Well at least you didn't make any remarks about her tonnage. :rotfl2:

Oberon
09-21-10, 07:34 AM
Well at least you didn't make any remarks about her tonnage. :rotfl2:

A co-ordinated hedgehog attack by twenty destroyers would have been less deadly than the retaliatory strike had I have done that! :03:

Herr-Berbunch
09-21-10, 09:12 AM
What made the date worse was that you asked for the seven week old rancid beef shoulder hanging by the pump room. :up:

Biggles
09-21-10, 10:14 AM
Dunno what you mean. Sounds very romantic to me. Did you say it out loud?:haha:

He's still alive, so obviously, no! :O::haha:

Platapus
09-21-10, 06:10 PM
In an uncharacteristic wisdom, I decided to keep my observations to myself.... this time.

frau kaleun
09-21-10, 06:49 PM
What made the date worse was that you asked for the seven week old rancid beef shoulder hanging by the pump room. :up:

Good Lord I hope that's not a metaphor. :O:

Sledgehammer427
09-21-10, 08:53 PM
VIVA VIagr.... *Gets pummeled*

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: