PDA

View Full Version : N. Korea asks South to restart military talks

Gerald
09-16-10, 01:42 PM
(CNN) -- North Korea on Thursday proposed working-level military talks with South Korea, the Yonhap news agency reported.

The North's request could signal further easing of cross-border tensions, but South Korea reacted skeptically to the complex proposed agenda, Yonhap said, citing defense officials from the South.

Pyongyang asked to discuss the two countries' de facto sea border on the west coast. North Korea wants the border, known as the Northern Limit Line, redrawn farther south. Deadly naval clashes between North and South took place along the Northern Limit Line in 1999, 2002 and 2009.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/09/16/nkorea.skorea.military.talks/index.html?hpt=T2

Note:September 16, 2010 Updated 0453 GMT

gimpy117
09-16-10, 02:55 PM
so North Korea was like: "oh hey bro, sorry we torpedoed you ship, but since you and you're buddies kinda wanna kick my ass...how about we be friends now?"

Takeda Shingen
09-16-10, 02:56 PM
so North Korea was like: "oh hey bro, sorry we torpedoed you ship, but since you and you're buddies kinda wanna kick my ass...how about we be friends now?"

:haha: Pretty much.

Oberon
09-16-10, 04:14 PM
Business as usual then. At least the DPRK runs according to time, a perfectly scheduled timetable of confront, posture, retract and seek talks.
Rinse and repeat.

Tchocky
09-16-10, 04:28 PM
I thought "military talks" meant weaponised negotiations. Let's see that!

Gerald
09-16-10, 04:51 PM
:yep:

Rilder
09-16-10, 05:08 PM
I thought "military talks" meant weaponised negotiations. Let's see that!

Aggressive Negotiations with a lightsabre. :rotfl2:

Solace
09-16-10, 05:25 PM
:rotfl2:

Weiss Pinguin
09-16-10, 06:02 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070930025728/swgames/images/thumb/9/9d/BattleofGeonosis.jpg/500px-BattleofGeonosis.jpg
Pictured: Military Talks

TLAM Strike
09-16-10, 06:41 PM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3346/ncc1701.jpg

"Diplomats! The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank!"
-Mr. Scott

bookworm_020
09-16-10, 06:52 PM
Now that we have seen the South Korean negotiation delegation, can someone posts a picture of the North's?:hmmm:

Castout
09-16-10, 07:55 PM
This? while the above may not be real these are!
and are well within range of Seoul and capable of carrying nuclear warhead.

Not to mention mobile thus would've survived a first strike scenario

http://wpcontent.answcdn.com/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/37/Scud_TEL_launch.jpg/300px-Scud_TEL_launch.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/07/10/iran20d.jpg

Gerald
09-16-10, 11:48 PM
is uncertain, so they have hardly afford the best,there is better equipment to get, but they need time to climb up

Gerald
09-18-10, 12:40 AM
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North and South Korea agreed Friday to hold reunions of families separated by their war, but conflicting statements from the rivals about the details underscored the difficulty of repairing relations on the peninsula.

The North's official Korean Central News Agency reported that the reunions — popular on both sides of the border — would be held at the North's scenic Diamond Mountain resort between Oct. 21 to 27.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/09/17/koreas-agree-divided-families-reunion-differ-details-highlighting-strain/

Note:Published September 17, 2010

Jimbuna
09-18-10, 02:19 AM
http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/0179/551dac34-7072-48b7-bd3f-d3991cbd8595.jpg?adImageId=10414537&imageId=182796

krashkart
09-18-10, 02:31 AM
http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/0179/551dac34-7072-48b7-bd3f-d3991cbd8595.jpg?adImageId=10414537&imageId=182796

Sums it up pretty nicely. :yep:

Gerald
09-18-10, 02:51 AM
:hmmm:

Castout
09-18-10, 04:39 AM
Family reunion is no political event though the event resulted from political deal.

North Korea only cares about its existential under the family reign. That's to continue what has been going on. They can't attack the South and win the war. On the contrary the South is not interested in reuniting the peninsula through arms conflict. So the word to describe the situation is STAGNATION.

With China rising however if the North would be willing to accept substantial economic reform they could share the economic miracle of China at least to a degree. Namely in low tech mass production and tourism from mainland China. I fail to see what's preventing them to embrace more open economy. It's the only way out in the long term for them anyway.

But people in power may have different logic and interests to protect. After all mankind are mostly irrational and political leaders perhaps are one of the worst irrational people if they've enjoyed power for far too long and deluded by it.

krashkart
09-18-10, 05:43 AM
But people in power may have different logic and interests to protect. After all mankind are mostly irrational and political leaders perhaps are one of the worst irrational people if they've enjoyed power for far too long and deluded by it.

Aye, and that's what evil ol' democracy is supposed to prevent. :yep:

I just drifted off topic... :oops:

Gerald
09-18-10, 05:58 AM
This is about two enemies are trying to solve problems, which is a pure political ideology, and that the relation did not seek solutions NK has made an initiative, and they know themselves that they are pretty deep **** purely military strategic,Maybe on paper they can get help but not in practice either by China or other communist-related state

Jimbuna
09-18-10, 09:10 AM
The reason NK is proposing talks is because it is after something....NK wants the border, known as the Northern Limit Line, redrawn farther south.

Gerald
09-18-10, 09:19 AM
Right, but they know also "going over the limit" will cost some, which they can not afford either politically or militarily.

Jimbuna
09-18-10, 09:46 AM
Right, but they know also "going over the limit" will cost some, which they can not afford either politically or militarily.

You mean like a credit card? :hmmm:

Gerald
09-18-10, 09:52 AM
You mean like a credit card? :hmmm: though this is about rice and noodles, which is their "limit" :O:

krashkart
09-18-10, 10:01 AM
though this is about rice and noodles, which is their "limit" :O:

If even rice and noodles... I had a link to that video Mr. Stevens posted some months ago. A documentary of NK by some folks who went there and toured around under heavy guard. Totally bizarre place. They were treated to food at several locations, and the narrator/guy-in-front-of-the-camera could only describe it as "fried matter", apparently with no taste to it. Running a search to find it again, I'll have to link it in here.

EDIT
Here it is! :D http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=161638

Gerald
09-18-10, 10:11 AM
If even rice and noodles... I had a link to that video Mr. Stevens posted some months ago. A documentary of NK by some folks who went there and toured around under heavy guard. Totally bizarre place. They were treated to food at several locations, and the narrator/guy-in-front-of-the-camera could only describe it as "fried matter", apparently with no taste to it. Running a search to find it again, I'll have to link it in here.

EDIT
Here it is! :D http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=161638 I read it, and the despotic leadership is really :down:

krashkart
09-18-10, 10:23 AM
Yeah, it sounds like a completely twisted place. So glad to be over here than be stuffing grass in my face to keep from starving to death (compliments of that stumpy little power freak).

The great thing is that Kim Jong-il makes such a great butt-end for jokes. :yeah:

Not that I have any Kim Jong-il jokes, of course. :hmmm::doh:

Gerald
09-18-10, 10:30 AM
Yeah, it sounds like a completely twisted place. So glad to be over here than be stuffing grass in my face to keep from starving to death (compliments of that stumpy little power freak).

The great thing is that Kim Jong-il makes such a great butt-end for jokes. :yeah:

Not that I have any Kim Jong-il jokes, of course. :hmmm::doh:

http://imgur.com/RlVEY.jpg

krashkart
09-18-10, 10:34 AM
Something like that. :DL Or the way he was portrayed in Team America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh_9QhRzJEs

Gerald
09-18-10, 10:47 AM
Something like that. :DL Or the way he was portrayed in Team America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh_9QhRzJEs :haha:

Castout
09-19-10, 04:51 AM
I read it, and the despotic leadership is really :down:

Most ordinary people can be easily tempted with power and they say power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely,

To be honest who here who doesn't want his own sovereign island or land mass with population? and who doesn't like money I mean billions of dollars worth of money, unlimited supply of sex and control over large number of people?

Come on I'm sure we each had dreamed of those things just that we're not lucky enough to get them.

And now imagine that now you're above any man made law wouldn't that embolden you? And under such condition what would you do? Ask yourself this.

As said by Abraham Lincoln once, "If you want to know a man give him power" and let me add to that if you want to know a man absolutely give him absolute power.:O:

Now if you can imagine yourself unchanged by those condition you must be lying. . .or you've seen better. Ask yourself are you what you are now because of conditions imposed on you or choice? I'd certainly hope the latter. But if the latter you're either a thoroughly corrupt person or a saint. For me I'm neither because I'm just as fallible as most folks.

Gerald
09-19-10, 05:10 AM
Most ordinary people can be easily tempted with power and they say power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely,

To be honest who here who doesn't want his own sovereign island or land mass with population? and who doesn't like money I mean billions of dollars worth of money, unlimited supply of sex and control over large number of people?

Come on I'm sure we each had dreamed of those things just that we're not lucky enough to get them.

And now imagine that now you're above any man made law wouldn't that embolden you? And under such condition what would you do? Ask yourself this.

As said by Abraham Lincoln once, "If you want to know a man give him power" and let me add to that if you want to know a man absolutely give him absolute power.:O:

Now if you can imagine yourself unchanged by those condition you must be lying. . .or you've seen better. Ask yourself are you what you are now because of conditions imposed on you or choice? I'd certainly hope the latter. But if the latter you're either a thoroughly corrupt person or a saint. For me I'm neither because I'm just as fallible as most folks. and may well put me into the current situation for several reasons, and this is a complex scenario that unfortunately affects the civilian population in the highest degree,I have not visited Korea for many years now, but there was a time when it was the will and power, it is still there and I hope it will be able to achieve more.

Castout
09-19-10, 06:06 AM
I'm not saying despotic rulers and tyrants are justifiable because they are not and can not.

Men should live under rule of law and no one to be exempted or granted privilege to abuse it lest his place is in the zoo.

I'm just saying that since most men are fallible it's understandable that some rulers when given absolute power become despotic and tyrannical.

Understandable why these rulers become what they were or are but certainly not justifiable.

If only they were willing to open their economy they could reap a boon from China's rising economy by becoming low cost mass production center even for China's domestic market and may be able to gain substantial money from growing middle income Chinese tourists provided they build the necessary tourism infrastructure. After all they've got some astoundingly beautiful natural scenery there thanks to their many mountain ranges.

Castout
09-20-10, 03:33 AM
Big Korean soldiers :D. Pretty intimidating I must say :DL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFXKNazbCwI&feature=grec_browse

TLAM Strike
09-20-10, 09:04 AM
Big Korean soldiers :D. Pretty intimidating I must say :DL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFXKNazbCwI&feature=grec_browse

A lot of Japanese are getting like that now too. After the Wars Japan and Korea had a shift in the types of food the common person was able to eat (partly the massive US Aid, and partly the economic prosperity of the two nations), meats other than fish became more common. The increase in protean and over all balanced nutrition caused height changes.

Funny now is the American diet is so bad we are shrinking.

Castout
09-20-10, 08:28 PM
Yea I'm aware of the Japanese getting taller now I mean much taller than their stumpy predecessors. I think it's most obviously seen in their national soccer team.

Gerald
09-20-10, 09:01 PM
As a man like me, very easy to blend in some consistent transformation of people I am no longer an 6.3 feet :03:

gimpy117
09-21-10, 10:46 AM
Funny now is the American diet is so bad we are shrinking.

and becoming too fat to be drafted in alarming numbers.

TLAM Strike
09-21-10, 11:18 AM
and becoming too fat to be drafted in alarming numbers.

Hopefully now we will be invaded and conquered by a country that can impose a working government. :03:

Castout
09-21-10, 06:28 PM
Hopefully now we will be invaded and conquered by a country that can impose a working government. :03:

Like Mexico?:O:

TLAM Strike
09-21-10, 06:47 PM
Like Mexico?:O:

I was hoping for Canada. :03:

Maybe they will divide the country on the Mason Dixon line. North or the Canadians south to the Mexicans. :up:

Gerald
09-22-10, 03:05 AM
An excellent idea :03:

Castout
09-22-10, 03:43 AM
I was hoping for Canada. :03:

Maybe they will divide the country on the Mason Dixon line. North or the Canadians south to the Mexicans. :up:

Personally I believe living in a country which is not among world's major powers but which is well developed is far more advantageous than living in a major world power or underdeveloped country.

The reason for underdeveloped country is just that underdeveloped politically, democratically, ethically, socially and economically.

As the reason for not living in major world power is over population, lower education standard, prone to corruption and abuse of state power and state apparatus by people in power because they are more prone to be deluded by power syndrome in world power nation, over heated political climate, etc

The best is to live in developed yet not a major world power country such as Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Finland and Canada :yeah:.
So that people could actually live feeling appreciated and respected instead feeling like mere resources and or commodity, get good and affordable education, enjoy a relatively clean government and enjoy higher quality of living due to lower population density(less hectic lifestyle, lower crime rate, decent pay).

I also believe people need to get their bearing once in a while by getting close to nature.
I strongly believe people who are closer to nature behave and feel better about themselves. nature can give you a sense of humility and vulnerability which are very effective in checking people's ego. Urban living can make the worst kind of people if those people forget or neglect to get back in nature periodically(essentially making them a predator to their fellow man in varying degree). I also believe people with behavior and attitude problem could be made better people with some time spent close to the nature in small number of group of people(the less civilization the better).
Thus I just concluded that with regard to the above opinion which I hold prison actually makes a criminal to get worse! Especially if it's located in city or urban area, and over populated which is a relative that made every prison is always is

My two cents anyway.

TLAM Strike
09-22-10, 10:00 AM
The best is to live in developed yet not a major world power country such as Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Finland and Canada :yeah:.

I've considered it. :yep:
Maybe after college. :hmmm:

Jimbuna
09-24-10, 01:40 PM
The best is to live in developed yet not a major world power country such as Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Finland and Canada.

You forgot to mention the UK.

Gerald
09-24-10, 01:47 PM
You forgot to mention the UK. so that is what is called the U.K, well now I can imagine it, :hmmm: