PDA

View Full Version : Opening torpedo tubes

chuckk2619
09-16-10, 05:25 AM
Hi Folks,

I've tried to open my torpedo tubes prior to firing a salvo but found that the 'q' key has absolutely no effect. Is there another key i should be pressing to open/close the torpedo tubes?:doh:

WernherVonTrapp
09-16-10, 05:38 AM
No, the "Q" key is the only one I'm aware of. What version of SHIV are you running? Do you have the Gold Edition with the U-Boat missions?

Platapus
09-16-10, 06:02 AM
When you hit the "Q" key, do you get any message in the message box?

Unfortunately there are no indicators that tell you the status of your torpedo tubes. I have accidentally closed tubes because I forgot that I had already hit the "q" key prior. :damn:

uss_cucumber
09-16-10, 07:29 AM
I think it always says "opening torpedo tube#",even when its already
opened :damn:
And the Q key is the only one i now doing that,btw :)

chuckk2619
09-16-10, 07:32 AM
Sorry about the false alarm folks...looks like my keyboard was playing up. Just got a new G15 today and have just hooked it up. The Q key now works...looks like the old keyboard was on its way out.

Thanks for the advice!:yeah:

uss_cucumber
09-16-10, 07:34 AM
Sorry about the false alarm folks...looks like my keyboard was playing up. Just got a new G15 today and have just hooked it up. The Q key now works...looks like the old keyboard was on its way out.

Thanks for the advice!:yeah:

That bad keyboard could cost u a submarine with all crew!!!
Watch it next time,skipper Chuckkkkk!:rock:

tomoose
09-16-10, 10:00 AM
For a bit more immersion have a look at the SHIV Speech thread. Instead of pressing Q you can say "Open tube 1" into your mike and it does the same thing.

I was using it on my old system and it was a hoot. I've got a new system now with Windows 7 but haven't gotten around to installing SHIV Speech.

IMHO it's worth a look. It isn't perfect but if you read the thread you can get a feel for whether it's worth it or not. Installing it is fairly straightforward but involves 'teaching' Windows to recognize your voice etc. I will say it is pretty damn cool to say "Come left 10 degrees" and have the 'crew' react or "Up scope" and the Attack scope goes up or "Crash dive!" and down she goes etc. The downside is that anyone else in your house will think you have lost it, LOL.:D

rein1705
09-16-10, 11:31 AM
For a bit more immersion have a look at the SHIV Speech thread. Instead of pressing Q you can say "Open tube 1" into your mike and it does the same thing.

I was using it on my old system and it was a hoot. I've got a new system now with Windows 7 but haven't gotten around to installing SHIV Speech.

IMHO it's worth a look. It isn't perfect but if you read the thread you can get a feel for whether it's worth it or not. Installing it is fairly straightforward but involves 'teaching' Windows to recognize your voice etc. I will say it is pretty damn cool to say "Come left 10 degrees" and have the 'crew' react or "Up scope" and the Attack scope goes up or "Crash dive!" and down she goes etc. The downside is that anyone else in your house will think you have lost it, LOL.:D

:rotfl2:

Platapus
09-16-10, 07:47 PM
I remember the voice command in Enigma Rising and it was way cool. :yeah:

I never tried that with SH4 might give it a try.