PDA

View Full Version : The Bronze Star

Roger Dodger
09-15-10, 08:01 PM
I ran across some interesting material on the history of the Bronze Star Medal, that I thought you might be interested in. The Article (source) is in Vol two, Number 3, Fall 2010 issue of 'On Patrol', a quarterly magazine of the USO.

The Infantryman's Medal
by Mike O'Shea

[much snip] . . .
While he was stationed in Washington during the war, Colonel Reeder developed the idea for a new award that small unit ground commanders could award quickly in the field to reward combat soldiers that were in the line for long periods, doing their job in a dedicated, meritorious manner or for acts of heroism. In his book, "Born at Reveille", Reeder said his idea was to recognize the ground soldiers like the aircrews had been with the newly created Air Medal, which was more easily earned than the Distinguished Flying Cross award. "At General Marshall's headquarters we had one day off every 13 days, so I typed up the idea for a Ground Medal [his original name] and hand-carried it [to avoid it getting harpooned as it worked its way through normal channels] to General Leslie McNair, Commander of Ground Forces."
On October 4, 1943, the Adjutant General, General Ulio wrote to General McNair, formally rejecting Reeder's proposal for a Ground Medal. McNair, however, was not willing to allow it to drop, and showed the idea to General Marshall, who went to the president for approval. With a name change from Ground Medal to the BHronze Star Medal, the new award was established by Executive Order 9419 and signed by president Franklin D. Roosevelt on February 4, 1944, retroactive to December 7, 1941.
. . .
The Bronze Star Medal may be awarded to individuals who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States in a combat theater, distinguish themselves by heroism (on a level less than to be awarded the Silver Star) or by meritorious service (less than to be awarded the Legion of Merit medal) not involving aerial flight.
The BSM has been awarded to civilians and Allied military personnel. The Bronze Star Medal ranks below the Soldier's Medal (or comparable decoration from other services . . . ), but above the Purple Heart. Additional Army and Air Force awards are denoted bhy oak leaf clusters. Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard BSM additional awards are denoted by gold start on the ribbon. The Combat Distinguishing "V" Device is worn on the ribbhon or ribbon bar when the Bronze Star Medal is awarded for heroism.
The Bronze Star and Silver Star medals were designed by Rudolf Freund of Bailey, Banks and Biddle - a Philadelphia jewelry firm.
[snip] . . .

WernherVonTrapp
09-16-10, 04:27 AM
That was an interesting article. Thanks for sharing.;):up:

torpedobait
09-16-10, 10:41 AM
Yes, thanks for sharing. My dad was awarded both the Bronze Star and Purple Heart for his service during the Philipines campaign. He was wounded in the ankle by a sniper just 3 days before the campaign was officially closed. Although I was only 3 years old when he came home, I do remember him showing us the scar on his right leg. I don't know if the Bronze Star had a V for Valor; all his official records were destroyed in the St. Louis fire. We got the above information from a copy of his Separation papers.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Rockin Robbins
09-16-10, 11:25 AM
"Nope! Warn't my idea so ix-nay that one!" I wonder how General Ulio's career went after being countermanded by Presidential order...

Probably wasn't a pretty sight.:har: