PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: New Drug-Resistant Superbugs Found in 3 States

Gerald
09-14-10, 11:25 AM
An infectious-disease nightmare is unfolding: Bacteria that have been made resistant to nearly all antibiotics by an alarming new gene have sickened people in three states and are popping up all over the world, health officials reported Monday.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/09/14/update-new-drug-resistant-superbugs-states/

Note:Published September 14

SteamWake
09-14-10, 11:33 AM
We need another good health scare after the swine flue thing kind of turned out to be a bust.

Skybird
09-14-10, 12:03 PM
No, the threat is real, do not think of it in terms of swine flu. And it is self-made: because of the excessive abuse of penicillin and antibiotics even for diseases and minor issues where it absolutely is unneeded, but gets subscribed for reasons of easiness, comfort, or just habit, more and more bacteria strains become immune to antibiotics.

Or in the words of Dr. House, which in this case are absolutely true in reality as well: "This is our fault. doctors overprescribing antibiotics. Got a cold? Take some penicillin. Sniffles? No problem. Have some azithromyzin. Is that not working anymore? Well, got your levaquin. Anti-bacterial soaps in every bathroom. They' ll be adding vancomycin to the water supply soon. We bred these superbugs. They are our babies and they are all grown up, and they got body piercings and a lot of anger."

The problem is known since longer time, it is growing with increasing urgency, and we still have no drugs to replace those antibiotics that more and more become inefficient due to bacteria strains having become immune - despite tremendous research efforts being done. It is a top priority issue in the business. It's a classic case of evolutional adaptation of bacterias. And it means trouble.

The Third Man
09-14-10, 12:07 PM
We need another good health scare after the swine flue thing kind of turned out to be a bust.

This and others...SARS for example.

The scientists are indeed mad. Or maybe they just need a job?:D

Dowly
09-14-10, 12:25 PM
No, the threat is real, do not think of it in terms of swine flu. And it is self-made: because of the excessive abuse of penicillin and antibiotics even for diseases and minor issues where it absolutely is unneeded, but gets subscribed for reasons of easiness, comfort, or just habit, more and more bacteria strains become immune to antibiotics.

Very true, one of my mates takes antibiotics everytime he got even a bit of fever. Ridiculous. :nope:

Or in the words of Dr. House, which in this case are absolutely true in reality as well: "This is our fault. doctors overprescribing antibiotics. Got a cold? Take some penicillin. Sniffles? No problem. Have some azithromyzin. Is that not working anymore? Well, got your levaquin. Anti-bacterial soaps in every bathroom. They' ll be adding vancomycin to the water supply soon. We bred these superbugs. They are our babies and they are all grown up, and they got body piercings and a lot of anger."Which reminds me; have to continue watching the rest of House I haven't seen yet, currently going over Life on Mars, prolly Ashes to Ashes after that, gotta love Gene Hunt. :haha:

mookiemookie
09-14-10, 12:25 PM
It's a classic case of evolutional adaptation of bacterias. And it means trouble.

Indeed. We've trained these bugs to eat Triclosan for breakfast by putting it in everything from dish soap to toothpaste.

Oberon
09-14-10, 02:48 PM
Very true, one of my mates takes antibiotics everytime he got even a bit of fever. Ridiculous. :nope:

Which reminds me; have to continue watching the rest of House I haven't seen yet, currently going over Life on Mars, prolly Ashes to Ashes after that, gotta love Gene Hunt. :haha:

Trust, the Gene Genie :yeah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zn1jx3Dvfw

The Third Man
09-14-10, 02:56 PM
I'm so tired of being played the fool by scientists. I wish the rest of you would see the hucksterism so often involved.

Weiss Pinguin
09-14-10, 03:04 PM
Anti-bacterial soaps in every bathroom...
Hey, I dunno about the rest of you, but I have personally no problem with this at all :smug: I'd rather be taken down by a superbug that's developed because I always use purell than die from some wimpy complications from the flu I caught because I never washed after taking a tinkle ;)

Gerald
09-14-10, 04:19 PM
and most people probably assumed that assumes most people handle it there after,but suffice it some idiotic acts, since it is driven

CaptainMattJ.
09-14-10, 11:34 PM
Hey, I dunno about the rest of you, but I have personally no problem with this at all :smug: I'd rather be taken down by a superbug that's developed because I always use purell than die from some wimpy complications from the flu I caught because I never washed after taking a tinkle ;)
thats quite an idiotic statement. its better to catch things that go away after a few days then to just upright die because people excessively wash their hands. There are very few common flu and cold deaths. What just because you wash your hands and may have avoided getting a simple cold a few times justifies that your going to die by the wriggly disgusting mass of bacteria? hell no. Its like a bully. Your the bully and hes the nerdy kid who you pick on. You pick on him so dam much he decides enough is enough. He goes and lifts weights and gets wicked ripped and comes and busts down your door, and decapitates you with his fists. was it worth getting a few laughs that the end result was that you were brutaly decapitated and killed?

Thats what your statement boils down too. If you were kidding, it still calls for this reply for anyone who DOES think that.

Weiss Pinguin
09-15-10, 12:52 AM
Oh I'm serious. Someone comes out of the restroom and shakes my hand he sure as heck had better have used some purifying liquids :DL

Zachstar
09-15-10, 02:01 AM
The phamas are late for the next scare. Obviously for the good of investors they need to keep manufacturing pandemic scares with BS info in order to scare people into the hospitals.

Sorry but I call BS.

Gerald
09-15-10, 04:53 AM
India’s medical establishment has strongly criticised a study published in a leading UK medical journal that suggests Indian hospitals are the source of a new drug-resistant superbug that is spreading globally and that warns against travel to the subcontinent for medical treatments.

Health officials called the findings published in The Lancet “unscientific” and “economically motivated”, taking particular umbrage at the naming of the gene found to have made bacteria resistant to antibiotics as New Delhi metallo-beta lactamese, or NDM-1.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/225917ee-a890-11df-86dd-00144feabdc0,dwp_uuid=8d418fda-0c0c-11df-96b9-00144feabdc0.html

Note:Last updated: August 15 2010 18:20

tater
09-15-10, 08:50 AM
What is the BS. All the cases came from India, and it's a different strain. Not surprising. There are MRSA cases here in the states all the time, and it's a serious issue. The story is reported in the press, so what do you expect. I'm sure any real papers on the subject are not breathlessly talking about superbugs, just stating a medical reality.

Always interesting to see some moronic convergences of left and right in here.

Gerald
09-15-10, 09:16 AM
What is the BS. All the cases came from India, and it's a different strain. Not surprising. There are MRSA cases here in the states all the time, and it's a serious issue. The story is reported in the press, so what do you expect. I'm sure any real papers on the subject are not breathlessly talking about superbugs, just stating a medical reality.

Always interesting to see some moronic convergences of left and right in here. some are not in present time..

http://healthfreedoms.org/2010/07/13/sugary-drink-ban-starts-to-affect-s-f-sites/

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735

http://healthfreedoms.org/2009/12/17/an-exclusive-interview-with-barbara-starfield/

http://chrisabraham.com/2010/05/03/simple-steps-to-prevent-infection-in-hospital/

http://healthfreedoms.org/2009/12/17/an-exclusive-interview-with-barbara-starfield/

Weiss Pinguin
09-15-10, 10:14 AM
The phamas are late for the next scare. Obviously for the good of investors they need to keep manufacturing pandemic scares with BS info in order to scare people into the hospitals.

Sorry but I call BS.
Flesh eating bacteria? chance of zombie outbreak? When has the media not been all over stories like that? :yep:

Gerald
09-15-10, 10:17 AM
Flesh eating bacteria? chance of zombie outbreak? When has the media not been all over stories like that? :yep: time for reload :yep:

Ducimus
09-15-10, 04:30 PM
There are MRSA cases here in the states all the time, and it's a serious issue.

I'm told the best places to pick up MRSA are hospitals, and all those 24 hour fitness centers.

Personally, news about superbugs scares me.. but only a little bit. I picked up MRSA somewhere in belize, guatamala, or honduras back in 93. Had a deep space infection in my right foot, and it was sitting right next to a nerve. Had it hit my nerve, it would have gone up my leg and they would have had to take it off. Took me two weeks in the hospital on a Vancomycin IV to kick it. That stuff burned. They had to move the IV every day because it burned the veins after so long.

Take care of your feet, and don't expose any open cuts,scrapes, or sores to dirty surfaces or objects that people handle reguarly, and always wash your hands before you eat.

Gerald
09-15-10, 04:34 PM
I'm told the best places to pick up MRSA are hospitals, and all those 24 hour fitness centers.

Personally, news about superbugs scares me.. but only a little bit. I picked up MRSA somewhere in belize, guatamala, or honduras back in 93. Had a deep space infection in my right foot, and it was sitting right next to a nerve. Had it hit my nerve, it would have gone up my leg and they would have had to take it off. Took me two weeks in the hospital on a Vancomycin IV to kick it. That stuff burned. They had to move the IV every day because it burned the veins after so long.

Take care of your feet, and don't expose any open cuts,scrapes, or sores to dirty surfaces or objects that people handle reguarly, and always wash your hands before you eat. :up:

Gerald
09-15-10, 04:47 PM
Researchers hope a new class of antibiotics will fend off an infectious-disease nightmare: bacteria that have grown resistant to nearly all current drugs.

Cases of drug-resistant super bugs are becoming more prevalent, with health officials reporting Monday of an alarming new gene spreading around the world. The problem stems from abuse of antibiotics, which has accelerated the rise of bacteria strains that are completely resistant to current treatments.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/15/outsmarting-superbugs-with-superdrugs/

Note:Update version,published September 15, 2010

Ducimus
09-15-10, 04:51 PM
:hmmm:

Well, it may feel like someones pumping battery acid into your veins, but as long as it kills it i guess. :haha:

Gerald
09-15-10, 04:53 PM
:hmmm:

Well, it may feel like someones pumping battery acid into your veins, but as long as it kills it i guess. :haha: :haha:

tater
09-15-10, 09:08 PM
I agree, stay out of hospitals—they are full of sick people.

(that wasn't a joke, lol. Can't believe my wife likes it in there, I hate that place)

Skybird
09-16-10, 05:34 AM
The official number for German poatients fetching up MRSA, says 500,000 per year. the black number, the unknown number is estimated to be much higher, since hospitals have an economic interest to not report every case. Many German hospitals are on the level of third world countries concerning internal hygienics, the conditions are partially unbelievable. Official numbers say 20,000 people die due to MRSA every year, again, insiders estimate the number to be much higher. In other countries it is standard that patients being brought to hospital, get a check by an hygienics expert just to see if they carry any additional germs not related to their official symptoms. In Germany, this is rare. That leads to the situation that in Holland the situation is much, much better because hospitals handle the problem much more competently than German hospitals do: and when a German enters a Dutch hospital, for example a tourist, he is given especially careful scanning, because he is German and the Germans are known to be careless about hospital hygienics. So german patients are treated as high risks to internal hospital hygienics. The criticsm of a german commission that checked for hospital hygienics, filed a devastating report some time ago. Even washing their hands after having been on the toilet, was a rare oddity not only amongst wards, but even doctors who really should know it better. Bathrooms usually do not get cleaned for weeks. Conditions in some hospitals were described as ideal breeding grounds for infectous germs.

Regarding MRSA and hygienics in hospitals, German really is amongst the worst in middle europe, comparing to a developement country. I would say that is a national shame. Some hospitals have started to adress the problems, though. But that you can read about them in the newspapers, only illustrates that they still are the exception from the rule.