PDA

View Full Version : 9/11

TFatseas
09-10-10, 11:47 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/National_Park_Service_9-11_Statue_of_Liberty_and_WTC_fire.jpg

Never forget, never forgive.

Bless all who perished at the hands of evil that day.

gimpy117
09-11-10, 12:01 AM
911 was a day displaying the terrors of man, and the ability of man to stand in the face of unspeakable terrors. My hope is that our two cultures can come to an understanding, so we may not forget, but that we can forgive.

krashkart
09-11-10, 12:24 AM
^ +1

Never forget, learn to forgive.

Castout
09-11-10, 01:00 AM
In my dictionary it's

never ever forget and forgive only those worthy of forgiveness

But since God is so kind to me I'll forgive everybody who did wrong under the direction of somebody else i.e not their own initiative and intention or belief. But for those who initiated the wrong themselves ONLY forgive those worthy of forgiveness. This is as repayment to the grace of forgiveness that has been given to me from God alone. And this is my solemn promise to the Almighty God for the forgiveness He gave me. And I intend to keep it until I leave this world and I hope God would keep renewing His in exchange and made it known to me AGAIN, especially when I'm on my deathbed.

Semper Fi!

Weiss Pinguin
09-11-10, 02:13 AM
:salute: to our first responders and servicemembers. (we really do need a more serious salute smiley)

Never forget.

Skybird
09-11-10, 02:42 AM
Before forgiveness, there must be repentance.

Before repentance, there must be admittance of guilt.

Before admittance of guilt, there must be insight and honest reflection about oneself.

Ducimus
09-11-10, 05:02 AM
^ +1

Never forget, learn to forgive.

Forgiveness is between ALL of those responsible or in some way involved, and by whatever name they call god. What we need to do, is arrange the meeting.

JU_88
09-11-10, 06:08 AM
man I remember it like it was yesterday, glued to television on of course, but after the south tower came down, that was too much I couldnt bear watch anymore. :nope:
RIP to all those innocent lives lost,
and lets not also forget the ground zero rescue workers who have become seriously ill or died as the result of mercury and asbestos inhalation.
9/11 continued to inflict death and suffering even after the towers were down.

Oberon
09-11-10, 08:09 AM
The day the world changed forever...

SteamWake
09-11-10, 08:12 AM
A sad moment for all of mankind.

It is truely a shame that no real memorial has been erected and the site is still a hole in the ground.

krashkart
09-11-10, 08:56 AM
A sad moment for all of mankind.

It is truely a shame that no real memorial has been erected and the site is still a hole in the ground.

They're working on it. Not as quick as we'd like, but it's climbing. :yep:

man I remember it like it was yesterday, glued to television on of course, but after the south tower came down, that was too much I couldnt bear watch anymore. :nope:
RIP to all those innocent lives lost,
and lets not also forget the ground zero rescue workers who have become seriously ill or died as the result of mercury and asbestos inhalation.
9/11 continued to inflict death and suffering even after the towers were down.

I was laid up in a hospital bed that morning. I looked away from the TV for just a moment and when I looked back up all I saw was the cloud of dust from the first tower that fell. Stayed glued to the set for most of two weeks thereafter, with a bunk leg and two perfectly good hands. Still wondering how I'll tell the younger generations, when I'm old and corroded, if they were to ask. I wouldn't have thought before then that I'd see such a thing in my lifetime, that's for certain.

Forgiveness is between ALL of those responsible or in some way involved, and by whatever name they call god. What we need to do, is arrange the meeting.

Yeah, we do need a common ground. Not enough understanding going around. It's hard to see some of the old sentiments I'm overcoming being aired by others even this long after. I'm not afraid any more, but what about the rest of the country? We've got some spot fires to put out. :yep:

SteamWake
09-11-10, 08:58 AM
They're working on it. Not as quick as we'd like, but it's climbing. :yep:

Its been 9 freakin years :damn:

Anyhow I dont want to derail the thread.

krashkart
09-11-10, 08:59 AM
Its been 9 freakin years :damn:

Anyhow I dont want to derail the thread.

LOL Yeah, I know the frustration. :DL

TFatseas
09-11-10, 09:57 AM
:salute: to our first responders and servicemembers. (we really do need a more serious salute smiley)

Never forget.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9678/luckovichgates.gif

Can't imagine their mindset knowingly charging up those stairs. True heroes.

Chad
09-11-10, 10:31 AM
Tragic day..

Since others have shared where they were, I'll share mine.

I was in 7th grade in my English class comparing what movie adaptations of books are the best. My history teacher knocked on the door and my teacher stepped outside.

A few minutes later she informed us what happened, and turned on the TV. Every TV was turned on that day in the school, in every class and room that had a TV.

I think the faculty had enough knowledge and common sense to know even when the first plane hit, it was no accident, and that this event would unfold and become history for us to share.

HunterICX
09-11-10, 10:46 AM
I got home from school and went into the living when my mom told me a airliner hit the WTC...

stared at the TV for a moment, could happen no? a aircraft that hits a building, wouldn't be the first time

so went up to do my homework and turned on the radio which happened to broadcast the WTC event....was just in the middle of writing down the solution of a question when I heard a 2nd airliner hit the other tower....that's when I realised this wasn't just a accident, I raced down to the Television where I just catched a replay of the 2nd airliner that hitted the other tower...a horrifying sight.

Still I can't watch the 2 aircraft hit the tower without thinking what the people in the airliners and towers whent throught. :nope:

many lives where lost, that of the victims and service men trying to do everything they could to save lives from those burning towers. http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6331/emotsalute.gif

HunterICX

mookiemookie
09-11-10, 11:05 AM
I was in Connecticut at school. It was a Tuesday morning, and I had English class to get to. I had just woken up in my apartment and I was cooking eggs. I flipped on the news to hear the latest in the Gary Condit/Chandra Levy media circus, and I saw that they were reporting on a plane that had crashed into one of the WTC buildings.

My parents were on their way to the WTC that morning. They were visiting NYC and one of my mom's friends was friends with the chef in the Windows on the World restaurant at the top of the North tower. They were going to go eat there that day.

So when I saw the second plane hit live on TV, I knew it was no accident. I tried calling my parents nonstop. Of course all the phone lines were jammed, so I couldn't get ahold of them. I spent a panicked two hours trying to reach them. Finally around 11:30 my aunt called me to say that my parents had gotten ahold of them and were fine. They were turned back at one of the bridges into the city after the planes hit. I'm very very grateful that things worked out the way they did that day.

JU_88
09-11-10, 11:56 AM
I was in Connecticut at school. It was a Tuesday morning, and I had English class to get to. I had just woken up in my apartment and I was cooking eggs. I flipped on the news to hear the latest in the Gary Condit/Chandra Levy media circus, and I saw that they were reporting on a plane that had crashed into one of the WTC buildings.

My parents were on their way to the WTC that morning. They were visiting NYC and one of my mom's friends was friends with the chef in the Windows on the World restaurant at the top of the North tower. They were going to go eat there that day.

So when I saw the second plane hit live on TV, I knew it was no accident. I tried calling my parents nonstop. Of course all the phone lines were jammed, so I couldn't get ahold of them. I spent a panicked two hours trying to reach them. Finally around 11:30 my aunt called me to say that my parents had gotten ahold of them and were fine. They were turned back at one of the bridges into the city after the planes hit. I'm very very grateful that things worked out the way they did that day.

Crikey, mookie that must have been terrifying.
Especially since nobody in Windows on world made it out alive, all four stair wells were cut off by the point of impact in the North tower.

Weiss Pinguin
09-11-10, 12:11 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9678/luckovichgates.gif

Can't imagine their mindset knowingly charging up those stairs. True heroes.
America's best and bravest :yep:

Oberon
09-11-10, 01:33 PM
When I first heard about 9/11, I saw it on the BBC website at school, it was very early on in the incident and only the first tower had been hit. I thought it was a small light aircraft, and really paid it no heed. I was on the bus on the way home from school and myself and my friend were listening to the radio when they mentioned "jetliners" and I looked at my friend and asked him "Did they just say 'jetliners'?!" and he nodded...it was about that point the enormity of what was happening hit me. By this point news was just coming in about the Pittsburgh crash. When I got home I instantly got the television on...and really could not believe what I was seeing.

CCIP
09-11-10, 01:46 PM
Mine starts off inappropriately funny-sounding, but I won't lie...

I was at home by myself for my lunch (I lived less than a block away from my school, so I had a whole hour and a half every day to go home and slack), it was around 10:30 and I'd heard nothing about it. Had my lunch and went to the lavatory to um, relieve myself. Just after I got on the toilet, my dad returned home, and upon learning that I was occupying the washroom, began ranting and raving about the whole of New York being covered in smoke and an airplane crashing there. He'd only read about it on the internet and was out most of the day, but he was really almost panicked, so I really got a bad feeling. At the time, my mental image was only of an airplane crashing somewhere on the street - which was still about the scariest sight I could imagine before I saw what really happened. Confused as I was, I got out of the 'loo and turned on the TV, and my jaw just pretty much dropped to the floor when I saw replays of that plane hitting the building. I then saw the second tower come down on live TV, and honestly I spent most day also in a state of shock and ranting about what I had seen to others. It was honestly pretty unbelievable, and the overwhelming feeling was that nobody was safe. After I got home again from school at the end of the day, I just instinctively put a tape into the VCR and started recording the news - got about 7 or 8 hours of it. I've never watched the tape since, but it was really that sense that one of the most important and terrible events of our time had just happened, and it had to stay with me. But of course I didn't ever need that tape - it's one of those things that you never forget, even if you were nowhere near the actual sites of the events.

AngusJS
09-11-10, 02:02 PM
I was in college, waiting for my first class of the day to begin, when the professor came in and said that a plane had hit the WTC. We all assumed that it was a small plane and an accident. It wasn't until my next class, where everyone else was really agitated for some reason, that I learnt what had happened.

antikristuseke
09-11-10, 02:05 PM
I was home, hung over and got a call from a friend telling me to turn the tv on. I watched for a while, sighed, and went on with business as usual. Horrible thing, but i have come to expect such from fellow humans.

Bubblehead1980
09-11-10, 02:18 PM
We drank pints of guiness last night in a pub wide cheer to the victims of 9/11 once the clock struck midnight.Never forget and never forgive the trash that caused so much pain nor their inspiration.Hopefully, one day the scourge of Islam will disappear from earth.

JU_88
09-11-10, 03:10 PM
.Hopefully, one day the scourge of Islam will disappear from earth.

You forgot to add 'Heil Hitler' :shifty:

sharkbit
09-11-10, 03:45 PM
My wife and I played hooky from work-we went to see the Broncos and Giants play at Invesco field the night before on Monday Night Football. I was still in bed when my wife got up with our 5 month old daughter. She starts yelling my name and runs in saying airplanes had hit the WTC and Pentagon and the WTC had collapsed.

We pretty much stayed glued to the tv all day watching and rewatching the video. It was so hard to turn the tv off that night and go to bed.

I freaked a little bit after I heard at least one of the planes had come from Boston. My sister was supposed to fly home with her husband and friends out of Boston that morning. I called my mom right away and said she was fine. They were lucky-they hadn't returned their rental car yet (they had stopped at a museum that morning) and were able to keep it and the rental company allowed them to use it to drive home to Denver.

I work for an aircraft charter company, so of course we had all of our aircraft parked for a couple of days. However, one of our airplanes was allowed to fly blood, FEMA members, and some supplies to New York before any civilian airplanes were released to fly. I talked to the flight crew after they got back. They said it was pretty uncanny flying along with no other radio traffic on the radios and being the only civilian aircraft flying. They also said they could see the smoke from NYC from about 200 miles out.

Sad day for all. :cry:

Platapus
09-11-10, 03:53 PM
Since we are sharing our 911 experiences...

That Tuesday, I was a contractor at a TLA facility. I was supporting the wargaming and simulation division. Tuesday mornings I was on my way to the team staff meeting. I passed one of the monitors in the hallway and saw one of the towers on fire.

"Man, that must suck, I hope they can get the fire out" I thought to myself as I hurried to my meeting.

Shortly after the meeting started, we heard the "rumour" that an airplane had crashed in the first tower. Shortly after that, we got word that a second had crashed so this was no accident.

Now the weirdness started.

On 11 Sep 2001, the TLA facility was having an exercise. During such exercises, selected people are given scripts to use. For example at 10:05, a participant needs to call into the exercise desk that they "smell smoke in stairwell 14". That type of stuff. It helps the people running and evaluating the exercise.

It is only natural to involve the people who work exercises such as the exercise and simulations division. One such person was in our staff meeting. After the second plane hit he got real quiet. In his hand was an index card with his script. At 0945 he was supposed to report "seeing an airplane crash into one of the towers" of the TLA facility.

Needless to say, the staff meeting and the exercise was canceled.

Creepy to say the least. I think he still keeps that index card script.

tater
09-11-10, 03:58 PM

To be fair, he did not say the scourge of muslims. That would clearly be analogous to eliminationalist antisemitism. One factor in that that dates back to the time of the Spanish Inquisition is the indelibility of "jewishness." Meaning that it was not about the religion, but about "blood."

Islam, OTOH, is nothing more than a set of beliefs. Wishing a set of beliefs to go away is not a bad thing in the least. I'm fine with the scourge of nazi beliefs being wiped from the earth. Or communism. Islam is no different, and wiping it out means wiping out the IDEAS.

Since you cannot take ideas from people against their will, the only possible way to wipe out a set of ideas is to CONVINCE THEM NOT TO BELIEVE THEM.

Convincing people to change their minds is hardly analogous to nazi Germany.

JU_88
09-11-10, 04:26 PM
To be fair, he did not say the scourge of muslims. .

True Tater, If his intent was as you suggest , then I take that back.

DarkFish
09-11-10, 04:36 PM
I guess I'll add a story from the European viewpoint for a change:)

I was 10 at the time, so I can't really remember all of it.
I came home from school at something like 17:00. After a while my mum arrived from work. She had just heared of it on the car radio on her way home, so she yells at my dad to quickly turn the tv on. At that point the second tower was either just hit, or just about to be hit. I can't really remember, but I do know I have seen live footage of both towers collapsing.
From that moment up until I was sent to bed at around 23:00 I didn't move an inch from the tv.

cj95
09-11-10, 05:29 PM
Suppose I was like everyone elese initially.

Getting ready for work I heard about the first hit and assumed it was an accident like most others.

Then out of nowhere comes the second plane and the world stops. It was a moment frozen in time when the whole counrty JUST KNEW.

Millions of people having the exact same thought in the exact same instant......we're under attack.

I hope we never forget that instant.

TarJak
09-11-10, 05:50 PM
I was in bed asleep and awoke to radio and TV reporting and repeating the horror round the clock for the next 24 hours.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-day-the-world-stood-still-howard-recalls-september-11-20100911-155zg.html

Venatore
09-11-10, 06:09 PM
The Heroes on that day
http://fellowshipofminds.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/9-11-firefighter.jpg

Bubblehead1980
09-11-10, 06:14 PM

Wow.... As the great grandson of a man who along with thousands of others fought against Hitler and what he stood for, I politely say that you can go uhhh "sex" yourself:damn:

Side note, thanks for the defense Tater, saved me some typing because you spelled out exactly what I meant.Of course JU had the typical knee jerk reaction.Yes I meant Islam, not the followers but the ideas that are a scourge to this planet and have been for a long time.

I just noticed you claim to take it back JU, but the 'Heil Hitler' remark, a bit much.

Carotio
09-11-10, 06:42 PM
Yes, another historic date, when almost everybody remembers what they were doing where.

I was at home formatting and reinstalling windows at my previous desktop, so while doing that I could as might as well watch some tv at the same time, and the mayor tv channels were transmitting live all the time. I think I turned it on, about the time when they still discussed if it was an accident with the first flight. The second had still not hit. Naturally I was spending the rest of the day, evening and night watching tv about it. Horror has a strange attraction. :-?

AVGWarhawk
09-11-10, 07:21 PM
I was at work that day. A driver of mine came up to my office and stated a airplane had hit one of the towers. I did not think much of it. I thought perhaps a small Cessna lost it's way or something. Only when he can back later he said another plane it the second tower. At this point I knew this was not a Cessna losing it's way. I turned on the TV in my terminal and began to watch. My terminal serviced Washington DC and Northern VA. I pulled my trucks out and told them to return to the terminal. The news reported flight 93 and of course the Pentagon strike. I had no intentions of leaving my drivers making deliveries in or around what looked to be prime targets in the DC area. That night as I sat in shock with continual images being shown of the towers going down I hugged my children knowing the world would never be the same again.

All I can say is God bless the folks on flight 93. Through selfless courageous acts to stop this aircraft we can only begin to imagine what could have become of that flight and it's intended destination. These folks certainly had known what the outcome was going to be whether they acted for not.

razark
09-11-10, 08:03 PM
I was asleep that morning, class didn't start until 11:00. My (now ex-) wife woke me up, muttering something about a plane hitting a skyscraper in New York. The first thing I remember thinking was "Not the first time it's happened", and thinking of the B-25 crashing into the Empire State Building back during WWII.

I went through the morning routine, and eventually wandered out and flipped the tv from whatever the kids were watching to CNN. They said something I didn't quite catch about a second airplane, and then reported that an airplane had hit the Pentagon. At that point, I was fully awake. I watched for a while, heard that all planes were being grounded, watched the towers fall, and stepped outside for a smoke. I watched an airliner flying across the sky, and wondered what had happened to the world I used to know. Never did make it to class that day.

SteelViking
09-11-10, 08:46 PM
Aye, I remember that day perfectly......I wish I didn't. Just thinking about it is still difficult.

I wish to praise all those who gave and risked their lives to make a difference that day.....Thank you.

And, I hope and pray that all those responsible for the attack and many more attacks like it get what they deserve......