PDA

View Full Version : Conundrum

Sailor Steve
09-10-10, 09:53 AM
I'm having a problem with the scheduling for the meet, and it's a doozy.

I'm currently living in a VA housing facility. The problem is that I can't leave for more than four days, and because of my dislike of flying I opted to take the bus, which means a total of nine days for the trip.

I was recently granted a disability pension from the VA, due to my diabetes. This means that I qualify for senior housing, which is cheap, and also for a HUD program which would let me stay here, but for a small price, and then I would be free to go for as long as I want.

The problem is that all this is happening at the worst possible time. I'm hoping to get into one of the housing options before I need to go, but it's looking more and more like that's not going to happen.

So my options are:

1. Go on the trip as planned, which means when I return I won't have a place to live. Thanks to the pension I can afford to check into a cheap motel pretty much indefinitely when I get back. "Afford", yes, but it will take most of my money and leave me without my computer for the time being.

2. Find a cheap roommate situation. This would let me live for about the same price as the other housing options, but with people I don't know. Actually that would have been my first choice, but that was before I found out I can live alone for the same amount.

3. Forfeit the money I payed for the bus trip and fly, which I hate.

4. Don't come, which is the option I really hate.

I'm hoping things will change in the next ten days, but I'm not counting on it.

Herr-Berbunch
09-10-10, 10:05 AM
Ouch, that's a tough one! :nope: If you did disappear for nine days, would they notice? If you have to 'check-in' could somebody do it on your behalf?

Could you plead a family bereavement on the other side of the country perhaps? I know it's dishonest but you have a right to live somewhere AND have a life to live.

Aside from lying, I'd take the hit on the bus fare and fly :yeah: but I love flying probably about as much as you hate flying!

Hope it all works out for you

Sailor Steve
09-15-10, 07:24 PM
And it all falls down on the wrong side.

I can't find another place to live, especially not one I can afford. I can't afford plane tickets, since the time is to short for any discounts. And I didn't want to fly anyway, or this wouldn't be a problem.

The bottom line is I have to choose between not coming and being homeless again. Which is no choice at all.

So I'm not coming.

August
09-15-10, 08:07 PM
So I'm not coming.

I'm darn sorry to read this Steve but I understand.

Chad
09-15-10, 10:59 PM
Ah Steve :down:

I understand completely and will miss you on the trip.

Jimbuna
09-16-10, 06:04 AM
And it all falls down on the wrong side.

I can't find another place to live, especially not one I can afford. I can't afford plane tickets, since the time is to short for any discounts. And I didn't want to fly anyway, or this wouldn't be a problem.

The bottom line is I have to choose between not coming and being homeless again. Which is no choice at all.

So I'm not coming.

That's bad news Steve....and to think you were the only one kind enough to offer to share with me if I had of been able to go :nope: