PDA

View Full Version : SH4 Questions

reignofdeath
09-09-10, 07:28 PM
Hi all, I plan on buying SH III, IV(gold edition), and V and plan on running III and IV for now since my comp may not be able to handle V yet. keyword yet

However I have some questions about IV for you guys,

1) What rig do you guys use and will run 4 very smoothly at high graphics

2) and Second what mods would be recommended to download as far as ones that add eye candy (more realism in weather/ waves and so on) and playablity (realism as far as damage and sinking of ships and UIs and so on. If you put down the mod itd be helpful if you could put a small description on what the mod does as well

3) And I seem to understand that there is a mod out there which will let you play the atlantic campaign from the German side? I would like this as well too

4) Please let me know which mods work with which mod so I dont end up making my MODs turn the game FUBAR

Thanks all :)

tater
09-09-10, 07:42 PM
For SH4 (I cannot speak to 3) there are a few mods out there that I would consider.

1. Run Silent, Run Deep the Campaign (RSRDC). This mods the PTO campaign which is horrible in the stock game. I consider RSRDC to be obligatory.

2. Trigger Maru Overhauled (TMO). A total mod of SH4. Eye candy, realism, and even a campaign that is better than stock. There is an RSRDC release that also works with TMO, so you can do TMO+RSRDC. TMO makes the IJN ASW considerably more competent, though the ReadMe tells how to adjust this down if you wish (perhaps a good suggestion for your first patrols). Excellent mod.

3. Real Fleet Boat (RFB). RFB is, like TMO a total mod of SH4 into something playable. Eye candy, sinking, etc., just like TMO. Their focus is more on realism so ASW is easier than TMO. RFB has no organic campaign, so you'll need to run it with RSRDC.

4. Fall of the Rising Sun (FotRS). I have not played this. It is, I think, based on TM, but with a large campaign.

Outside the PTO:

5. Operation Monson (OM) is available by the author of RSRDC (lurker) for the ATO. It is as compulsively accurate as RSRDC is. I've never played a U-boat, so I am not the best judge.

6. We Dive At Dawn, also by lurker is Royal Navy subs.

7. There is a mod that looks to be pretty cool call Battle for the Baltic as well.

So I'd start with TMO or RFB plus RSRDC. Some will claim stock is good to mess with, if for no other reason that to appreciate the mods more. I think the stock campaign is unspeakably bad, myself. I'm a bit of a grognard, however :)

reignofdeath
09-09-10, 07:49 PM
Aye thank you. however will the TMO work with the ATO mod? because Im not much into americas subs honestly, Idk why but Im not, I love U-boats on the other hand.. im weird like that :damn:

CaptainMattJ.
09-09-10, 07:55 PM
Hi all, I plan on buying SH III, IV(gold edition), and V and plan on running III and IV for now since my comp may not be able to handle V yet. keyword yet

However I have some questions about IV for you guys,

1) What rig do you guys use and will run 4 very smoothly at high graphics

2) and Second what mods would be recommended to download as far as ones that add eye candy (more realism in weather/ waves and so on) and playablity (realism as far as damage and sinking of ships and UIs and so on. If you put down the mod itd be helpful if you could put a small description on what the mod does as well

3) And I seem to understand that there is a mod out there which will let you play the atlantic campaign from the German side? I would like this as well too

4) Please let me know which mods work with which mod so I dont end up making my MODs turn the game FUBAR

Thanks all :)
i have a terribad graphics card, according to some people and i play SH4 with everything on. on downside is lower res. still looks beautiful.

WernherVonTrapp
09-09-10, 08:09 PM
I'm currently playing RFB/RSRDC and loving it. See my sig for my PC specs.

tater
09-09-10, 08:10 PM
No, but the first thing you need is the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME). This allows you to click the mods you like, turn them on, then disable them, and turn others on so you can switch at will. Make sure you get the SH4 with the U-boat missions add-on.

reignofdeath
09-09-10, 08:14 PM
Oh yes fer sure lol I might actually try the pacific as well seeing as ill have lots of U boat experience with 3 and 5 once I got it running and Werhner I envy you XD

tater
09-09-10, 09:14 PM
TMO is nothing if not challenging. Even with jap ASW toned down, the PTO can be a dangerous playground as many good hunting areas are SHALLOW. The least capable ASW assets can be a nightmare with only 50-100 feet under the keel at periscope depth.

reignofdeath
09-09-10, 09:36 PM
yeah lol its hard to hide when you cant dive ha. Can you sit on the bottom though to avoid sonar? assuming your running silent? and what other tactics can you use for getting away?

Do i just need one version of JSGME for SHIII, 4 and 5? or one for each game?

Ducimus
09-09-10, 09:46 PM
Can you sit on the bottom though to avoid sonar?

Nope. Game mechanic's in SH 3, 4, or 5, don't really support that.

TMO is nothing if not challenging. .

Hmmm, creating tears of anguish, so tasty. (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1202436&postcount=9) :O:

reignofdeath
09-09-10, 09:58 PM
well that bums me out.. mods anyone ? ;)

Ducimus
09-09-10, 10:01 PM
There is no mod that will change how the AI detection routines fundamentally work. You can change detection parameters (IE make senors smaller, larger, dull, sensitive, etc), but the how and why's of detection are always the same.

reignofdeath
09-09-10, 10:16 PM
:ping:Well lets all go collectively kick ubi in the behind then for leaving that out. I wanted to sit on the bottom and not be detected Oh well haha im fine with it being out I guess