PDA

View Full Version : Iran Ambassador: Female Hiker Will Be Released 'Very Soon'

Gerald
09-09-10, 04:09 PM
URGENT: Iranian Ambassador to the United Nations tells Fox News that Sarah Shourd, one of three American hikers who have been jailed in the country for more than a year, will be released.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/09/09/iran-says-release-jailed-americans-saturday/

Note:Published September 09, 2010

SteamWake
09-09-10, 04:44 PM
They have absolutly nothing to lose by doing so.

I'm happy for her. I just hope that pepole realize it is a goodwill stunt.

After all they kept her for this long??

Gerald
09-09-10, 05:00 PM
but it is good that they start to believe, they can not treat other citizens anyway

Platapus
09-09-10, 07:23 PM
Hopefully this dumb (expletive deleted) has learned her lesson.

The sad thing is that she will write some book and appear on the talk shows and earn a bunch of money .... just for being stupid.

Why does our culture reward stupidity? :nope:

Gerald
09-09-10, 07:30 PM
Hopefully this dumb (expletive deleted) has learned her lesson.

The sad thing is that she will write some book and appear on the talk shows and earn a bunch of money .... just for being stupid.

Why does our culture reward stupidity? :nope: .... but money speaks their language

Zachstar
09-09-10, 08:59 PM
This wont work for much longer. The US Gov by now is tiring of having to recover citizens that pull stunts to write books. And don't tell me that the idiots who Invaded North Korea (Yes they consider Intrusions like that to be invasions) Did so for Humanitarian reasons. They wanted to get airtime.

Pretty soon we wont care much about those who pull those stunts. They will get to experience the TRUE horror of being in the clutches of the enemy with no tactical info to offer for their health for a decade or so because the enemy decides to trade them for something.

Ducimus
09-09-10, 09:09 PM
I don't think they wanted to get airtime, so much as it is stupidity and/or self rightousness. Personally, I don't think many American's fully comprehend, grasp, or understand the world outside of the continental united states. That said, most American's are not stupid enough to go strolling through the ahh... "axis of evil".

Gerald
09-09-10, 09:47 PM
This wont work for much longer. The US Gov by now is tiring of having to recover citizens that pull stunts to write books. And don't tell me that the idiots who Invaded North Korea (Yes they consider Intrusions like that to be invasions) Did so for Humanitarian reasons. They wanted to get airtime.

Pretty soon we wont care much about those who pull those stunts. They will get to experience the TRUE horror of being in the clutches of the enemy with no tactical info to offer for their health for a decade or so because the enemy decides to trade them for something. for this type of tricks, :hmmm:

Takeda Shingen
09-09-10, 10:15 PM
I don't think they wanted to get airtime, so much as it is stupidity and/or self rightousness. Personally, I don't think many American's fully comprehend, grasp, or understand the world outside of the continental united states. That said, most American's are not stupid enough to go strolling through the ahh... "axis of evil".

I couldn't agree more. I think that a lot of Americans, especially young middle-class suburbanites, think that everywhere is like Main Street in their happy little 'Burb and end up being shocked when confronted with the reality that there are places in this world where you just do not want to be.

Gerald
09-09-10, 10:31 PM
Perhaps, but they must become more accountable and aware,and not to think that everything is not "like a picnic".

Platapus
09-10-10, 06:50 PM
Not so fast....

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/09/10/iran.hikers/index.html?hpt=T1

The release of American hiker Sarah Shourd has been "canceled" because the judicial process has not been completed, a prosecutor said Friday, according to the semiofficial Iranian Labour News Agency....

"The news [of the impending release] is not approved by the judiciary and, naturally, any decision regarding the defendants is contingent upon the completion of the due process," said Abas Jafari Dolatabadi, Tehran's public and revolutionary prosecutor, according to ILNA.

No tv appearances for you yet

Gerald
09-10-10, 06:59 PM
Not so fast....

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/09/10/iran.hikers/index.html?hpt=T1

No tv appearances for you yet and it is not entirely unlikely :nope:

The Third Man
09-10-10, 07:02 PM
Stupidity deserves death. Kill her. Rape her first of course. The Koran says such.

Gerald
09-10-10, 07:21 PM
:nope:

The Third Man
09-10-10, 09:11 PM
Well there you go.....Islam will be our downfall. Deciving non-believers is a tenant of Islam. Like most criminal organizations,

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iran on Friday postponed the planned release of an American woman jailed along with two friends for more than a year, state media reported, dealing a blow to the hopes of three U.S. mothers who have pleaded for the trio's freedom.

Gerald
09-10-10, 09:19 PM
Canceled

The Third Man
09-10-10, 09:23 PM
2010.09.09 (Yala, Thailand) - Muslim separatists shoot a 52-year-old Buddhist in the head then kick his body under a bridge.2010.09.09 (Vladikavkaz, Russia) - A Shahid drives an explosives-laden vehicle into a market, blasting seventeen shoppers to bits.2010.09.09 (Mogadishu, Somalia) - Five Fedayeen suicide bombers storm an airport and kill nine others, including two women.2010.09.09 (Kurram, Pakistan) - Militants murder ten bus passengers with an explosive device.2010.09.09 (Diyala, Iraq) - A woman is beheaded in her own home by suspected al-Qaeda 'insurgents'.2010.09.09 (Muqdadiya, Iraq) - A cleric is beheaded and set on fire by Freedom Fighters.

SteamWake
09-10-10, 09:54 PM
Wow this got ugly. :timeout:

Jimbuna
09-11-10, 07:58 AM
Makes one wonder if it was not the original intention from the start :hmmm:

Gerald
09-11-10, 10:13 AM
Makes one wonder if it was not the original intention from the start :hmmm: :yep:

Platapus
09-12-10, 07:41 AM
Let's everyone sing along

First you say you do, and then you don't, And then you say you will, and then you won't; You're undecided now, so what are you gonna do?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/09/12/iran.detained.american/index.html?hpt=T1
Sarah Shourd, one of three American hikers detained in Iran for more than a year, could be released Sunday or Monday, an Iranian lawyer representing the hikers told CNN Sunday.

"Everything is in place for the release," said lawyer Massoud Shafii, who got to see them for the first time on Sunday. "It's up to the family when to deliver the money."

The official Islamic Republic News Agency reported earlier Sunday that Shourd will be released if bail worth about $500,000 for her is submitted to the Iranian judiciary.

Oh, so now it is called "bail". Back in my day it was called a ransom. :yep:

This is not bail. There is no way she would ever go back to stand trial in an Iranian court. The Iranians know this (and have set such "bail" on other foreigners in the past). Because they did not charge her with anything, they can't call it a fine, so it is a "bail".

Just call it what it is. Extortion.

Well, I am just glad it is not the US government ponying up this "bail". But I do feel, sorta, sorry for the family to have to part with a cool half million for their idiot daughter.

Which raises a question: How much would you pay to "bail" out your idiot adult kid if they pulled a stupid stunt like this?

For a 32 year old dumbass like that? I don't know if I would pay $500,000 (even if I had it, which I don't).

SteamWake
09-12-10, 08:12 AM
There is always a catch.

Woman to be released for $500,000 ransom er.. sorry bail.

Gerald
09-12-10, 01:41 PM
Iran to Free American Hiker — For a Price.Iranian prosecutor says authorities will release Sarah Shourd on bail due to her health problems, more than a year after she was jailed with two other Americans and accused of spying.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/09/12/iranian-prosecutor-says-hes-ready-release-jailed-american-woman-bail/

Note:Published September 12, 2010

Jimbuna
09-12-10, 02:01 PM
Which raises a question: How much would you pay to "bail" out your idiot adult kid if they pulled a stupid stunt like this?

For a 32 year old dumbass like that? I don't know if I would pay $500,000 (even if I had it, which I don't).

I doubt anyone can truly answer that unless they found themselves in the self same position.

jumpy
09-12-10, 04:12 PM
I had to laugh at the conflicting irony of these two articles:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11275130 (and previous articles on this story in the last week)

&

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11264102

Iran stamps it's feet over some relic, severing relations with the british museum amid accusations of 'excuses'...

Two different stories, two different pints of view, both of which are calling pot-kettle :haha:

TLAM Strike
09-12-10, 09:54 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11264102

Iran stamps it's feet over some relic, severing relations with the british museum amid accusations of 'excuses'...

Historians regard it as the world's first declaration of human rights and it is valued by people around the world as a symbol of tolerance and respect for different peoples and faiths. Damn! No wonder they want it back! Can't let the world get the wrong idea about Iran... or give their own people the wrong ones...
:haha:

Gerald
09-13-10, 01:13 AM
Tehran, Iran (CNN) -- Sarah Shourd, one of three American hikers detained in Iran for more than a year, could be released as early as Monday once $500,000 is submitted to the Iranian judiciary.

"Everything is in place for the release," said lawyer Massoud Shafii, who got to see the hikers for the first time on Sunday. "It's up to the family when to deliver the money."

The United States and Iran have had no diplomatic relations for three decades, and Washington is not involved in moves to free Shourd, a State Department spokesman said Sunday.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/09/13/iran.detained.american/index.html?hpt=T2

Note:September 13, 2010 Updated 0549 GMT

August
09-13-10, 09:09 AM

How much you want to bet that if the British loan the cylinder to the Iranians they never give it back.

Gerald
09-13-10, 02:41 PM
The lawyer for an American woman detained in Iran said her family is appealing to authorities to drop a demand for $500,000 bail in exchange for her release because it cannot afford the amount.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/09/12/iranian-prosecutor-says-hes-ready-release-jailed-american-woman-bail/

Note:September 13, 2010

Gerald
09-14-10, 10:47 AM
Sarah Shourd, who has been behind bars in Iran for more than a year on charges she was spying for the U.S., is now a free woman after $500G bail was posted

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/09/14/irans-state-tv-says-woman-freed-year-prison/

Note:Published September 14, 2010

The Third Man
09-14-10, 11:23 AM
Sarah Shourd, who has been behind bars in Iran for more than a year on charges she was spying for the U.S., is now a free woman after $500G bail was posted

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/09/14/irans-state-tv-says-woman-freed-year-prison/

Note:Published September 14, 2010

You have to hand it to the Iranians. They have set the trap and the Administration walked into it.

The girl is out of prison but certainly not free. Forget the bond, the Iranians continue to hold the girls two companions, one of which is reportedly her fiancé. Now sinse she is out on bail, it portends a return to Iran to face trial. Her two friends are still under Iranian control, and I dare say at their mercy.

When Iran needs to apply pressure the trial will be called and the girl will be compelled, if not by law, by moral obligation to return to Iran, and the episode starts anew.

Gerald
09-14-10, 12:34 PM
the whole thing will end up with different levels of political blackmail

Platapus
09-14-10, 04:23 PM
Nah, I predict that the other jerks will soon be released. They might try to get some ransom from them.

Bubblehead1980
09-14-10, 04:25 PM
Tired of seeing this on the news.These people are idiots for going hiking in the part of that world.

Gerald
09-14-10, 04:27 PM
Nah, I predict that the other jerks will soon be released. They might try to get some ransom from them. The Gov.or private borrowers, :hmmm:

SteamWake
09-14-10, 05:10 PM
You have to hand it to the Iranians. They have set the trap and the Administration walked into it.

The girl is out of prison but certainly not free. Forget the bond, the Iranians continue to hold the girls two companions, one of which is reportedly her fiancé. Now sinse she is out on bail, it portends a return to Iran to face trial. Her two friends are still under Iranian control, and I dare say at their mercy.

When Iran needs to apply pressure the trial will be called and the girl will be compelled, if not by law, by moral obligation to return to Iran, and the episode starts anew.

I want movie rights and I want them NOW!

Platapus
09-14-10, 06:19 PM
The Gov.or private borrowers, :hmmm:

Well there is no requirement for the government to pay so I imagine they won't.

A book publishing company may front the money and take it off the top of the book sales... assuming the American people are so stupid as to buy a book written by these idiots.

Gerald
09-14-10, 07:46 PM
Well there is no requirement for the government to pay so I imagine they won't.

A book publishing company may front the money and take it off the top of the book sales... assuming the American people are so stupid as to buy a book written by these idiots. the whole can be planned from the beginning to go down and sit by the time to sell the story so that they do not have to work more,but o the other hand, it is not so much about whether the publisher had spent money..

Gerald
09-15-10, 08:22 AM
Sarah Shourd released on $500,000 bail after more than a year in prison.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4338197/iran-releases-ailing-us-hiker/?playlist_id=86857

Note:September 15, 2010

Gerald
09-18-10, 12:26 AM
to return to US.Oman's foreign minister said Friday he's not aware of any plans for Iran to release two other Americans still being held there, but that his country stands willing to act as an intermediary betw...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/09/17/oman-says-plans-free-americans-held-iran-wants-help-mediate/

Note:September 17, 2010

krashkart
09-18-10, 02:35 AM
When in Iraq... stay on the Iraq side of border. :dead:

Gerald
09-18-10, 04:56 AM
and go over and do a trick, and be imprisoned and then come out and write a book about all you saw rats and withdraw 100M :O:

krashkart
09-18-10, 06:17 AM
and go over and do a trick, and be imprisoned and then come out and write a book about all you saw rats and withdraw 100M :O:

That gives me an idea... :hmmm:

*googling for hiking trail nearest to North Korean border*

Gerald
09-18-10, 06:24 AM
Yes why not, you may well be at the checkpoint and wait for an appropriate time and then you can always call in reinforcements from the U.S. if it becomes a crisis,and there are not enough South not mind you coming home to a hero :03:

Gerald
09-18-10, 06:18 PM
Muscat, Oman (CNN) -- Before beginning her journey back home to America, freed American hiker Sarah Shourd on Saturday thanked Oman for securing her release and said that nation would forever occupy a special niche in her heart as the place where she regained her freedom.

"I will always associate your country with the first breath of my freedom," she told reporters at Muscat International Airport. "The sweet smell of sandalwood. Standing by the ocean and listening to the waves.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/09/18/oman.us.hiker/index.html

Note:September 18, 2010 Updated 1718 GMT

Torvald Von Mansee
09-18-10, 06:52 PM
Why does our culture reward stupidity? :nope:

http://www.usernetsite.com/society/sarah-palin/sarah-palin-hockey.jpg

krashkart
09-18-10, 11:25 PM
^^ I'm really glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I saw that. :har::har:

Gerald
09-19-10, 01:32 AM
I also, clearly a great confusion, :hmmm: :roll:

Gerald
09-19-10, 07:37 PM
(CNN) -- Sarah Shourd, the American hiker released from an Iranian prison, told reporters Sunday that doctors in Oman have assured her that she is "physically well."

Reading from a prepared statement, Shourd expressed thanks to Iranian government and religious leaders, including Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, for her release after 410 days.

"It is my deepest hope that the world will not let this humanitarian gesture ... go unrecognized," she said. "I believe this decision is a step in the right direction for all of us."

However, she and the mothers of the other two detained Americans, Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal, called for their release. The two men remain in Tehran's Evin Prison.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/09/19/shourd.arrival/index.html

Note:September 19, 2010 Updated 2028 GMT

Takeda Shingen
09-19-10, 08:23 PM
I know it is off-topic, but every time I see this thread I mis-read it as 'Female Hitler Will Be Released Very Soon'.

My reaction every time is 'What?!?!.....Oh, wait......right.....'

Gerald
09-19-10, 08:28 PM
You have a point there,it also cross my minds,two other remains, which are likely to be the subject of a political black mail

TLAM Strike
09-19-10, 08:37 PM
'Female Hitler Will Be Released Very Soon'.

Now that is no way to talk about people's wives... :shifty:

Gerald
09-19-10, 08:42 PM
Maybe it's time to get hot wire "Female Hitler Will Be Released Very Soon" :hmmm:

Gerald
09-24-10, 03:51 PM
CNN) -- For 14 months, Sarah Shourd's pain was unseen by the outside world.

Invisible, locked away in the darkness of Tehran's Evin Prison, where she, along with her fiance, Shane Bauer, and friend John Fattal, were detained by Iran.

Shourd said on CNN's "American Morning" on Friday that she can still feel the hot tears rolling down her cheeks and the thud of a door slamming in her face as prison guards walked away from her cramped little cell.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/09/24/iran.hikers.shourd/index.html

Note:September 24, 2010 Updated 1541 GMT

Platapus
09-24-10, 06:15 PM
I bet she is crying all the way to the publisher for her advance.

Gerald
09-24-10, 06:18 PM
Of course, and then she laughs all the way to the bank

Gerald
10-01-10, 12:30 AM
A US hiker freed after more than a year in prison in Iran has met US President Barack Obama in Washington.

Sarah Shourd and the mothers of the two men still held in Iran, Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal, were personally welcomed by the president, the White House said.

Mr Obama stressed that he would do all he could to ensure the release of Mr Bauer and Mr Fattal, a statement said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11449761

Note:1 October 2010 Last updated at 03:20 GMT