PDA

View Full Version : Language question

Skybird
09-06-10, 05:04 PM
The new chief of the German Symphony Orchestra, Tugan Sokhiev, said in a press conference about his future engagement "I'm a black horse."

I wonder if that is an English proverb. If so, what does it mean? :06:

Takeda Shingen
09-06-10, 05:16 PM
It means that he is an unknown in applying for the position. Lacking in formal reputation.

Tribesman
09-06-10, 05:17 PM
probably should have been "dark horse"

Takeda Shingen
09-06-10, 05:21 PM
probably should have been "dark horse"

Yes. 'Black Horse' is probably the litteral translation. 'Dark Horse' is the proper colloquial.

Lord_magerius
09-06-10, 05:21 PM
RACISTS! :O: First he's a black horse then he's a dark horse. You're all racist, he's a horse it doesn't matter what colour he is! :O:

Skybird
09-06-10, 05:40 PM
Yes. 'Black Horse' is probably the litteral translation. 'Dark Horse' is the proper colloquial.

My fault, indeed he said "dark horse".

Thanks for the explanation.

The guy directed one concert last winter in Berlin. The orchestra immediately wanted him after Metzmacher quit. My father said it was love on first sight.

Takeda Shingen
09-06-10, 05:49 PM
The guy directed one concert last winter in Berlin. The orchestra immediately wanted him after Metzmacher quit. My father said it was love on first sight.

I actually think that we'll be seeing a fair number of conductors coming from the Caucasus in the next decade or so. It seems to be the next big thing, like Asian conductors in the 90's.

Platapus
09-06-10, 06:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_horse

Tchocky
09-06-10, 06:19 PM
Conductors are a funny breed.

Sailor Steve
09-06-10, 08:28 PM
RACISTS! :O: First he's a black horse then he's a dark horse. You're all racist, he's a horse it doesn't matter what colour he is! :O:
How dare you demean horses that way you, you equinist! :stare:

antikristuseke
09-06-10, 09:05 PM
Horse, tastes more like...
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0911/tastes-like-ass-dogs-and-donkeys-demotivational-poster-1259175109.jpg

TarJak
09-06-10, 09:05 PM
Now that's a horse of a different colour.:O:

DarkFish
09-07-10, 05:55 AM
RACISTS! :O: First he's a black horse then he's a dark horse. You're all racist, he's a horse it doesn't matter what colour he is! :O:You're a racist too! He's an animal! No need to differentiate between horses and other animals!:stare: