PDA

View Full Version : Silent Running Game WIP

WWII44
09-06-10, 02:41 PM
I making a game called Silent Running. It's a submarine sim/arcade game. you are in command of a Alliance Navy Submarine and you patrol the waters off of the Eastern seaboard and destroy Ararat(a cult terrorist group bent on destroying the world) shipping. you have a selection of three subs each one have it's own advantages and disadvantages. The Rasbora class is fast and maneuverable but has low HP and has limited armament. The Tuna class is heavily armed and has high HP but is slower and less maneuverable. The Shark class is in the middle with moderate armament and HP. you are assigned to a patrol sector with you cruse around until you encounter a convoy/task force which you enter a side scrolling battle portion in which you battle with enemy subs and surface vessels until you reach the end level boss which upon defeating you get prestige points which you can use to upgrade your sub or change your sub class. If you destroy a supply sub or merchant ship you can get a torpedo power up, there are three torpedo types, a contact torpedo is the default but with a power up you can upgrade to a torp with a magnetic exploder or an acoustic homing torp. each torp upgrade lasts for a certain number of shots before it reverts to the default ammo. when your sub reaches 0 HP it will sink and you get the option to salvage it or get another one(depending how bad the damage is), however if you choose a new sub you will lose all the upgrades you had with your previous sub. I will post more aspects of the game when I come up with more.

P.S. it will be made with Game Maker 8

Takeda Shingen
09-06-10, 02:54 PM
Consider posting here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=174

This is the Indie SubSim forum. We've got a bunch of amateur developers here, and it's a good place to trade tips on game design. Good luck with your project!

WWII44
09-06-10, 02:56 PM
Consider posting here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=174

This is the Indie SubSim forum. It's a good place to trade tips on game design. Good luck with you project!

thanks, I think the hardest part would be making the sprites.

Takeda Shingen
09-06-10, 03:09 PM
In addition to posting on the Indie forum, I would also refer you to a couple of guys on SubSim:

Deamon has been working on WWI sim on and off for quite a few years now. He knows quite about about the subject of design. I still see him around, so he remains active.

Mike 'Red October' Hense hasn't been around in a long while, but he was making a Cold War sim. Judging by the pics he posted, he got pretty far with it too. I don't know if he gave the project up, but I imagine that he'd be a wealth of information if you could track him down.

Also, if I am not mistaken, TLAM Strike, who is very active on the boards, has done some ship modeling for Virtual Sailor, as well as some mods for mainstream simulations. He'll be easy to track down and can help point you in the right direction.