PDA

View Full Version : World's First Submarine Attack

Roger Dodger
09-01-10, 02:21 PM
Today in History, Sept. 1, 1776

On this day in 1776, during the Revolutionary War, the American submersible craft Turtle attempts to attach a time bomb to the hull of British Admiral Richard Howe's flagship Eagle in New York Harbor. It was the first use of a submarine in warfare.

Read the rest of this interesting article here: http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/worlds-first-submarine-attack

God Bless Electric Boat

Rockin Robbins
09-01-10, 04:03 PM
Wow! In its way is was much more successful than the later Hunley, which sank with its entire crew on its first and last mission. At least this one was not more dangerous for its crew than it was for its intended victims.:up:

ETR3(SS)
09-01-10, 04:47 PM
I'll drink to that!:()1:

TabbyHunter
09-01-10, 08:18 PM
I cant help but notice that this attack took place on Spetember 7th, not the first.

Sailor Steve
09-01-10, 08:37 PM
Wow! In its way is was much more successful than the later Hunley, which sank with its entire crew on its first and last mission.
And on its first trial mission. And on its second trial mission, that time including its designer/builder.

So if the definition of 'stupid' really is repeating the same experiment and expecting different results... :doh::88):dead:

TabbyHunter
09-01-10, 08:51 PM
When its not broke, dont fix it, eh Steve?

Schwieger
09-01-10, 09:08 PM
wow! We need to get this in SH3 and SH4! Imagine a turtle mod, lol

As for the Hunley, we need a mod for that sub too, lol

TabbyHunter
09-01-10, 09:18 PM
Oh yes, lets go out to the modern...or...more modernized, world with a very pre dreadnaught SUBMARINE! Unless you make a full mod for this, then i would say make it for fun, but nothing else.

Schwieger
09-01-10, 09:27 PM
I'm serious though, imagine doing coastal patrol with this sub?

TabbyHunter
09-01-10, 09:31 PM
You will die of hunger before you make open water.

Schwieger
09-01-10, 10:02 PM
its a game; i'm sure that could be worked around :)

TabbyHunter
09-01-10, 10:11 PM
Well yes, but most modders i know over strive for realism, and thus, would probably limit the fuel to about....and hour? I mean, it would be great, but way to hard.

Roger Dodger
09-01-10, 11:14 PM
Wow! In its way is was much more successful than the later Hunley, which sank with its entire crew on its first and last mission. At least this one was not more dangerous for its crew than it was for its intended victims.:up:

The Hunley sunk at least once more, before its mision, and possibly twice. If I have my history right, Hunley (the designer) drownd on the second sinking. That one was REALLY dangerous.

God Bless Electric Boat

Roger Dodger
09-01-10, 11:57 PM
I cant help but notice that this attack took place on Spetember 7th, not the first.

You're right. I just followed the links in the "This WEEK in History", but didn't notice the date.

My bad. :damn:

TabbyHunter
09-02-10, 12:08 AM
Nah, no problems, as i thought that was what happend.

tomoose
09-02-10, 09:10 AM
...had a program (apologies, I forget the name) in which the Turtle was reconstructed (based on what little archival info they could find) and they actually tried to repeat the mission using the same techniques and equipment. A fascinating program.
I'm sure if you do a search you'll find it somewhere on Youtube.
:salute:

Diopos
09-02-10, 09:52 AM
...had a program (apologies, I forget the name) in which the Turtle was reconstructed (based on what little archival info they could find) and they actually tried to repeat the mission using the same techniques and equipment. A fascinating program.

If they tried to "repeat the mission using the same techniques and equipment" they would probably get the same results. How many people must drown in this worthless contraption? :hmmm:

:D

peabody
09-02-10, 11:10 AM
If they tried to "repeat the mission using the same techniques and equipment" they would probably get the same results. How many people must drown in this worthless contraption? :hmmm:

:D

He is talking about the Turtle not he Hunley. And some believe the story of the Turtle, some believe it to be phony.
The Turtle was built but it had two major problems, limited air supply and when they arrived at the ship they could not attach the "bomb" to the hull. It was to be screwed in but the ships hull was covered with sheets of copper.
So there were no reports of any men drowning in the Turtle.

Peabody

Nisgeis
09-02-10, 11:14 AM
Tomoose, was that the one where they hollowed it out of a very large tree in one piece?

razark
09-02-10, 11:20 AM
...when they arrived at the ship they could not attach the "bomb" to the hull. It was to be screwed in but the ships hull was covered with sheets of copper.

Other reports are that the drill hit an iron plate, part of the rudder hinge, on the first attempt, and on the second attempt, the Turtle was unable to hold its position well enough to drill into the hull.

tomoose
09-02-10, 11:40 AM
Nisgeis;
yes, it was a solid lump of wood/log which they used initially.

Canada's version of the History Channel had the program although this link is somewhat lame and lacking further info;
http://www.history.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=70061

Here's a website on the team that did the reconstruction and explains how they did it;
http://www.history.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=70061

It indicates that it was a Discovery Channel/Channel 4 production. I can't find anything at the DC site and the Channel 4 site is blocked by my work firewall.

Nisgeis
09-02-10, 11:45 AM
That's the same link twice. I think I've seen it. They recreated a series of historic inventions.

Roger Dodger
09-02-10, 12:21 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/RogerDodger1946/Turtle.jpg

"Turtle," as drawn in 1875 from the best information the artist could gather.
There are several important errors. It shows ballast tanks when there were none; it shows an Archimedes screw (helical) for locomotion instead of the propeller like the "arms of a wind mill" or a "pair of oars"described by Bushnell and others.
It also shows -- but this we may forgive -- the operator wearing a rather foppish late 19th-century outfit.
Source: http://www.submarine-history.com/NOVAone.htm

Roger Dodger
09-02-10, 12:34 PM
Here's a link to a great 5 minute video on YouTube from the Military Channel. Full scale model and animated presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZimWPThaY&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Schwieger
09-02-10, 05:23 PM
Well yes, but most modders i know over strive for realism, and thus, would probably limit the fuel to about....and hour? I mean, it would be great, but way to hard.

which makes it that much more fun :)