PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into my Submarine

Spike88
08-30-10, 02:41 AM
It's been a while since I last played a subsim(even though I've been hanging around the forums. :haha:) And I feel like reinstalling SH4, especially since I never really got any far with it or any of the super mods.

I'll be installing RFB2.0 for my super mod, and after playing a campaign with the stock campaign, will install RSRD.

I would like suggestions for minor mods that will help me get the most out of the game. So any help would be appreciated.

Rockin Robbins
08-30-10, 05:53 AM
One thing for sure. Keep your installation as simple as possible if you don't want mod soup. Just a casual survey of Subsim will reveal a ghastly number of people with "what's wrong" questions who have lists of a dozen or more mods. Don't go there!

With RFB or TMO you can safely add sub skins, missions, custom keyboard layouts, a different bearing plotters and........practically nothing else if you want gameplay to be what the designers intended. Do not add environmental mods. Do not add Webster's GFO components, do not add mods to add or subtract floaty stuff in the water. Resist!

In restraint lies the way to happiness.:D

Spike88
08-30-10, 01:58 PM
One thing for sure. Keep your installation as simple as possible if you don't want mod soup. Just a casual survey of Subsim will reveal a ghastly number of people with "what's wrong" questions who have lists of a dozen or more mods. Don't go there!

With RFB or TMO you can safely add sub skins, missions, custom keyboard layouts, a different bearing plotters and........practically nothing else if you want gameplay to be what the designers intended. Do not add environmental mods. Do not add Webster's GFO components, do not add mods to add or subtract floaty stuff in the water. Resist!

Then I guess I'll just install SH4, and RFB and be done with it. :haha: I was looking for floaty stuff mods, but do not want to deal with my game screwing up.

:up:

WernherVonTrapp
08-30-10, 02:19 PM
You can add RFB, RSRDC and the Merchant Skinpack without any probs. I also run the Coral Sea Skinpack for my fleetboat. Oh yeah, I also have "sobers betters sand" and "sobers better rocks" (they're basically environmental skin packs), along with more map labels. No problems with gameplay either.:up:

Spike88
08-30-10, 09:05 PM
Thanks, I'll try those out. Installing SH4UBM now.

Quick question, how does RFB work in regards to UBM?

tater
08-30-10, 09:55 PM
I'd not bother with the stock campaign, it has NO redeeming qualities.

Schwieger
08-30-10, 10:35 PM

argh, so I can't dl the mod that this vid is advertising?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U2MqAjWQBg

I'd not bother with the stock campaign, it has NO redeeming qualities.target rich environment not good for you? lol

tater
08-30-10, 10:42 PM
Dunno, the 60+ Akizuki DDs in the initial invasion convoys instantly destroy any sense of realism (given there were only 12 during the whole war, and ZERO were art sea during that part of the war).

WernherVonTrapp
08-31-10, 01:44 AM
Thanks, I'll try those out. Installing SH4UBM now.

Quick question, how does RFB work in regards to UBM?Sorry, never played the UBMs. Maybe somebody else can comment on that.

Spike88
08-31-10, 02:41 AM
Despite what I said earlier, I just now installed SH4. Looking for JGSME to install next. :haha:

Will soon be in my first patrol with a nice glass of vodka, and either a book or Das Boot. :yeah:

Edit: I'm forgoing RSRB for my first Campaign for the sole fact that I suck and want as many targets as possible to hone my skills on.

Rockin Robbins
08-31-10, 06:47 AM
argh, so I can't dl the mod that this vid is advertising?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U2MqAjWQBg

l
Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It is already incorporated into TMO as much as it can be without destroying gameplay. RFB also includes environmental modifications. Even with the incorporated environmental mods, RFB went through a very trying period where you couldn't lock the periscope on a target because of unwanted interaction of different tweaks.

Environmental mods are first on the list of "don't go there!" There be dragons. Let the supermodders work out what can be used without destroying gameplay. They work closely with the environmental modders in a way that you can't hope to.

Rockin Robbins
08-31-10, 06:51 AM
Will soon be in my first patrol with a nice glass of vodka, and either a book or Das Boot. :yeah:

Das Boot????!!!!! Much better done with Thunder Below, Run Silent Run Deep, War Patrols of the Flasher, Torpedoman, Destroyer Killer or some other book that can actually make you a better captain. Das Boot doesn't tell you diddley about how to skipper a boat. Might as well read a comic book.

Spike88
08-31-10, 03:24 PM
Das Boot????!!!!! Much better done with Thunder Below, Run Silent Run Deep, War Patrols of the Flasher, Torpedoman, Destroyer Killer or some other book that can actually make you a better captain. Das Boot doesn't tell you diddley about how to skipper a boat. Might as well read a comic book.

Das Boot is the only submarine based movie I have. :haha: I ended up just watching the crap that is on the TV at 5 in the morning.

My first patrol was patrolling the Java Strait in my S-18. Ended up running into two Tasks forces and spending most of my time evading DD's.

Will restart the whole campaign when I play later. Are there any mods that turn the Map Markers back to what they used to be in Vanilla for RFB? I quite suck and I find it hard to sink anything without the markers.

Edit: Two more questions(Well 1, and some clarification on the other)
1. I want my map contacts to go back to stock instead of what RFB has. Is there a minimod like there is for GWX?
2. Is there any way to zoom in external view with the mouse wheel?

Spike88
09-01-10, 02:21 AM
Just loaded a save in the middle of a patrol. Took damage for no apparent reason. No enemies nearby nor did I hit any land masses. Found it odd, and now my antennae refuses to fix.

WernherVonTrapp
09-02-10, 06:28 AM
Hmmm, antenna? Were you submerged when the damage occurred?

Spike88
09-02-10, 04:21 PM
No. I saved on the surface at night. The only thing was that I wasn't at all stop. I believe I was going Standard.

WernherVonTrapp
09-02-10, 04:56 PM
Ahh, I see. For a minute there, my wheels were turning so, just for future reference, if you ever smell wood burning, that's just me thinking.:D BTW, I have had situations in the past where I received damage during high TC but the damage was so minor, didn't notice it until I had the occasion to use the scope, radar or antenna. Sometimes I discovered the damage a few hours after it happened, sometimes a couple of days.

Spike88
09-02-10, 08:30 PM
Ahh, I see. For a minute there, my wheels were turning so, just for future reference, if you ever smell wood burning, that's just me thinking.:D BTW, I have had situations in the past where I received damage during high TC but the damage was so minor, didn't notice it until I had the occasion to use the scope, radar or antenna. Sometimes I discovered the damage a few hours after it happened, sometimes a couple of days.

This was medium damage(despite the Hull being undamaged). And all but one sailor in the front compartment had taken damage.

So is there a Color Contacts mod for RFB?

WernherVonTrapp
09-03-10, 10:52 AM
There is a mod that restores the hydrohone lines for RFB, if that's what you mean. I have it installed. It makes plotting a whole lot easier.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1470

Spike88
09-03-10, 03:26 PM
There is a mod that restores the hydrohone lines for RFB, if that's what you mean. I have it installed. It makes plotting a whole lot easier.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1470
That's what was missing. :hmmm:

And actually I meant the colors. Like Red is enemy, blue is friendly, etc.

I'll try this out after I try TMO.