PDA

View Full Version : Stupid, real-life torpedo question

Vaux
08-18-10, 10:52 AM
I looked around the forum and in some of the sticky threads, but didn't see this addressed. Apologies if this has been asked/answered before (and I suspect it has).

When setting torpedo depth, spread angle, etc., how did those settings get "programmed" into the torpedo itself? Was there some sort of connection between the TDC/TBC and the actual torpedo, or was there someone at the actual torpedo making adjustments to it based on the calculations coming from the control room?

Rockin Robbins
08-18-10, 12:00 PM
The answer is yes. While under normal circumstances the TDC could adjust the torpedoes directly, the torpedomen could also adjust the torpedoes manually in case the TDC was not operative.

Sailor Steve
08-18-10, 12:24 PM
This will tell you more than you ever wanted to know. :D
http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/tubes/chap7.htm

Vaux
08-18-10, 12:40 PM
The answer is yes. While under normal circumstances the TDC could adjust the torpedoes directly, the torpedomen could also adjust the torpedoes manually in case the TDC was not operative.

I guess what I'm getting at is how did the, for instance, depth setting at the TDC get to the torpedo? Was there some kind of interface cable that connected to the torpedo that transmitted the TDC settings to the torpedo?

Vaux
08-18-10, 12:44 PM
This will tell you more than you ever wanted to know. :D
http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/tubes/chap7.htm

Thanks.... I will look into that in more depth but, after a quick skim, it kind of looks like asking someone what temperature to bake a cake at and getting complete instructions on making a cake... starting with how to grow the wheat! :D

Rockin Robbins
08-18-10, 01:30 PM
I hope you see when you read that that your question wasn't stupid at all. It was at the center of developing fall-back plans so that the submarine could continue to operate even though systems broke in combat. They had to ask that same question eighty or more years ago for the subs to be designed the way they were. So it was a very GOOD question that needed to be answered before we were ready for war.:up:

Nisgeis
08-18-10, 03:01 PM
I guess what I'm getting at is how did the, for instance, depth setting at the TDC get to the torpedo? Was there some kind of interface cable that connected to the torpedo that transmitted the TDC settings to the torpedo?

There's a set of spindles that go through the torpedo tube door (breach end), that are solid shafts that locate into sockets in the torpedo body, so that they can be turned from outside and set the torpedo up.

Sailor Steve
08-18-10, 06:56 PM
Thanks.... I will look into that in more depth but, after a quick skim, it kind of looks like asking someone what temperature to bake a cake at and getting complete instructions on making a cake... starting with how to grow the wheat! :D
I said it was more than you'd ever want to know.
:rotfl2:

On the other hand, it does tell exactly how they did it, and a quick skim should explain it all.