PDA

View Full Version : Final Destination?

Sailor Steve
08-16-10, 07:41 PM
I'm just starting to make reservations. People seem to be going every-which-way. Where should I come to and when? I'm probably going to make a lengthy trip of it and take the train. So what city are we actually going to?

Subnuts
08-16-10, 08:13 PM
Right now, it looks like the Meet 'n Greet is going to be in Boston on the 23rd, then everyone should be in Waterford by the afternoon, and we'll spend the 24th in New London. Then, it's back to Waterford for the night, and off to Fall River, MA on the morning of the 25th. We haven't managed to secure a sleepover at Battleship Cove, so we'll either be headed to August's house or Waterford later that day. Off to Boston on the 26th, and return flights later in the day. August has offered to accommodate anyone traveling by car or train at his house on the 26th/27th.

I think that's the idea for now.

August
08-16-10, 10:12 PM
Right now, it looks like the Meet 'n Greet is going to be in Boston on the 23rd, then everyone should be in Waterford by the afternoon, and we'll spend the 24th in New London. Then, it's back to Waterford for the night, and off to Fall River, MA on the morning of the 25th. We haven't managed to secure a sleepover at Battleship Cove, so we'll either be headed to August's house or Waterford later that day. Off to Boston on the 26th, and return flights later in the day. August has offered to accommodate anyone traveling by car or train at his house on the 26th/27th.

I think that's the idea for now.

That pretty much sums it up except for a couple small details.

The "meet and greet" is at my place Thursday for anyone coming in through Logan airport Boston. As soon as everyone is collected we'll be heading down to Waterford Ct. where the official "meet and greet" will be held.

Those like Niki who are coming in early can go straight to Waterford and check in. Ditto for the Ct residents like Bill and Subnuts.

If you're coming by train you have a choice Steve. Since you'll be coming from NYC you can either get off the train in Connecticut and go straight from there to the motel, or, you can get off the same train a few stops further up in Providence RI where I can meet you at the station and bring you to my house.

Sledgehammer427
08-16-10, 10:20 PM
I just got my flight out there, I'll be flying in on August 26th. :D

Chad
08-17-10, 12:54 AM
Ah Sledge you scared me, I saw 26 and immediately thought Sept 26th!

Sledgehammer427
08-17-10, 01:16 AM
Ah Sledge you scared me

my work is done here. :smug:

Good to see I'm keeping people on their toes

Sailor Steve
08-17-10, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still torn between the train and the bus, which is half the price. Neither goes to Waterford, but both go to Boston (obviously) and to Providence.

If I take the train to Connecticut what is the closest major city to Waterford?

August
08-17-10, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still torn between the train and the bus, which is half the price. Neither goes to Waterford, but both go to Boston (obviously) and to Providence.

If I take the train to Connecticut what is the closest major city to Waterford?

New London would be your best choice.

Bill Nichols
08-17-10, 05:03 PM
That pretty much sums it up except for a couple small details.

The "meet and greet" is at my place Thursday for anyone coming in through Logan airport Boston. As soon as everyone is collected we'll be heading down to Waterford Ct. where the official "meet and greet" will be held.

I'm planning on driving up from Washington DC and will need details on exactly when & where to rendezvous, so that I can plan accordingly.

:ahoy:

August
08-17-10, 06:50 PM
I'm planning on driving up from Washington DC and will need details on exactly when & where to rendezvous, so that I can plan accordingly.

:ahoy:

Sure Bill.

The when is the 23rd of Sept anytime after check in
The where: http://www.campviewmotorcourt.com/

Neal is making reservations for the 23rd and 24th. If a lot more people indicate that they're coming we'll probably extend that stay to the 25th.

However

If the group remains at or near it's present numbers then on the 25th after visiting the Battleship Cove in Fall River Mass we'll be staying at my house in nearby Rehoboth and head up to Boston the next morning.

Sailor Steve
08-18-10, 04:07 PM
I've got my schedule whittled down to two choices: I'll be taking the bus, and can go either to Boston, which arrives at about 0800 the 23rd, or to New London which arrives about 0845.

The funny part is that there's a bus that goes directly to Logan airport, but it costs twice as much, which defeats the whole purpose of taking the bus.
:rotfl2:

From the Boston bus station I'm sure I can make my way to the airport, so no one has to make a special trip. New London is slightly better for my return trip timewise, but only slightly.

So I'll choose whichever is more convenient at your end.

August
08-18-10, 09:37 PM
I've got my schedule whittled down to two choices: I'll be taking the bus, and can go either to Boston, which arrives at about 0800 the 23rd, or to New London which arrives about 0845.

The funny part is that there's a bus that goes directly to Logan airport, but it costs twice as much, which defeats the whole purpose of taking the bus.
:rotfl2:

From the Boston bus station I'm sure I can make my way to the airport, so no one has to make a special trip. New London is slightly better for my return trip timewise, but only slightly.

So I'll choose whichever is more convenient at your end.

Well the main Bus terminal (700 Atlantic Avenue right?) just happens to be at South Station, which is where you catch the commuter train to South Attleboro which is right down the road from my place. Here's the schedule:

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/?route=PROVSTOU&direction=O&timing=W&RedisplayTime=Redisplay+Time

On the other hand, since other folks will be showing up at the airport at various times throughout the day maybe it would be better if I took the train up to Boston and meet you when you get off the bus. We could then stash your luggage in a locker then go to the airport together to meet the others when they come in.

We probably would have some time to see the local Boston sites while we're waiting. Waddya think?

Chad
08-18-10, 09:41 PM
I'll be at the South Attleboro station around 2. August I will probably call you first, and if you're unavailable ivank has offered transportation to me.

August
08-18-10, 09:53 PM
I'll be at the South Attleboro station around 2. August I will probably call you first, and if you're unavailable ivank has offered transportation to me.

You're coming in through Boston? Check out my last post above. We can probably meet you at the airport.

Sailor Steve
08-18-10, 11:36 PM
Well, the deed is done. I'll arrive at the Boston bus terminal on the 23rd at 0805. If for some reason you can't meet me I'm sure I can find my way to the airport. :sunny:

ivank
08-18-10, 11:47 PM
Again, just so we do not over book my car.
The current list is;
Chad
SH427
Sailor Steve
Me

Leaving me with 4, four, empty seats.

August
08-19-10, 09:21 AM
Again, just so we do not over book my car.
The current list is;
Chad
August
SH427
Sailor Steve
Me

Leaving me with 3, three, empty seats.

Scratch me off that list as i'll be driving my own rig. I'm taking the wife and have to have a way for her to bail early if she has to.

ivank
08-19-10, 11:59 AM
Scratch me off that list as i'll be driving my own rig. I'm taking the wife and have to have a way for her to bail early if she has to.

Okay, that is cool. Will I still be with Steve?

Sailor Steve
08-19-10, 01:16 PM
Works either way for me. Of course you need to know exactly, so I'm not helping be saying that.

I'll help with gas no matter how it works out.

August
08-19-10, 02:57 PM
Okay, that is cool. Will I still be with Steve?

Hey what you guys do in private is no business of mine! :D

Seriously though I look at it as you have 8 seats available and I have 4 for a total of 12. The real question is still how many people will be going to Waterford directly and how many will be coming in through Boston.

Neal may know better but as I understand it ATM the attendees list stands at:

Bill Nichols and wife Justine - Driving direct to Waterford
Jason Lobo (Nikimcbee) - Arriving early and driving direct to Waterford
Daryl Carpenter (Subnuts) - Direct to Waterford

Uncle Neal - Flying into Boston
August and wife Rose - Via our house
Chad McRae - Flying into Boston
Sailor Steve - Busing into Boston
Michael Pohl (Lurchi?) - Flying into Boston
Ivank - Driving to our house to pick up folks i bring down from Boston
Bas Langenhof - Flying into Boston
SH427 - Traveling with Ivank so via our house
Al George - will probably arrive late and will have his own transportation

Edited for corrections.

Sledgehammer427
08-19-10, 03:22 PM
Sledgehammer and SH427 are the same person, and I'll be with Ivank, who lives nearby.

August
08-19-10, 03:26 PM
Sledgehammer and SH427 are the same person, and I'll be with Ivank, who lives nearby.

Roger that. List fixed!

ivank
08-19-10, 04:49 PM
I will not be flying to Boston, I will be driving from Long Island, through CT, into Mass. Anyone along my route is allowed to ride with me, provided I have the room.

Subnuts
08-19-10, 08:15 PM
Just confirming that I'm going to be in Waterford on Thursday afternoon, before the majority of people arrive. I've thought about maybe hooking up with someone at the New England Air Museum, but at this late stage, it's best not to complicate matters any more.

August
08-19-10, 09:30 PM
I will not be flying to Boston, I will be driving from Long Island, through CT, into Mass. Anyone along my route is allowed to ride with me, provided I have the room.

Damn Sorry about that! This is why I shouldn't do this stuff at work.

Anyways it's fixed.

ivank
08-19-10, 11:08 PM
Damn Sorry about that! This is why I shouldn't do this stuff at work.

Anyways it's fixed.

:D Its cool

nikimcbee
08-19-10, 11:44 PM
I'll be getting a rental car to.

ivank
08-19-10, 11:44 PM
are you sure? I have room.
I have an entire back row open

Subnuts
08-20-10, 05:36 PM
The Tin Can Sailors Organization is holding a three-day long "field day" to help restore the Joseph P Kennedy Jr on September 23rd through 25th. I wonder if Steve wants to stop over at Battleship Cove for a few hours on the 23rd, chat with some current and retired destroyermen, take a look at some off-limits parts of the ship, and maybe even help a little bit with the restoration project? I've brought the restoration project up with him before, I just have this feeling he'll spend all of the 25th onboard the JPK Jr! :haha:

Sailor Steve
08-20-10, 11:54 PM
I was planning on showing everyone the ship from my point of view. Too bad Elder-Pirate isn't coming, as he also served on a Gearing.

However it works out is cool with me. Spending the whole day wouldn't bother me a bit. :sunny:

Bas Langenhof
08-23-10, 11:17 AM
Hey what you guys do in private is no business of mine! :D

Seriously though I look at it as you have 8 seats available and I have 4 for a total of 12. The real question is still how many people will be going to Waterford directly and how many will be coming in through Boston.

Neal may know better but as I understand it ATM the attendees list stands at:

Sailor Steve - Busing into Boston
Michael Pohl (Lurchi?) - Flying into Boston
Ivank - Driving to our house to pick up folks i bring down from Boston
Bas Langenhof - Flying into Boston
SH427 - Traveling with Ivank so via our house
Al George - will probably arrive late and will have his own transportation

Edited for corrections.

Michael Pohl and myself are Flying into New York on Wednesday and Going with a rental car to Waterford Thursday morning.
So we will meet you all There.:)

August
08-23-10, 11:28 AM
Cool! Then things currently stand like this:

Bas Langenhof - Arriving early and driving direct to Waterford
Michael Pohl (Lurchi?) - Arriving early and driving direct to Waterford